Evans heads- Advise pls!!!

Justinhub2003

I’m an Evans guy for damn near everything, especially Toms and kick.
But yesterday I put a Coated Vintage ambassador on my Supraphonic and it’s like these two were a match made in heaven.

vintage version of the ambassador is two plies and I dunno, just sounds perfect on a Supra.

P-Hells

I use almost exclusively evans drumheads and love them. I have used the evans black chrome on my toms for a few years and find them simply awesome both for the sound and the look. I got nothing but very positive feedback about them since I've had them. They have a really low tone, not much sustain and are perfect for rock especially when paired with genera resonant heads. I have to mention that I tune them pretty low so I'm not sure how they would react when tuned higher.
For my snares I don't think I have two with the same heads. However, after watching the «sounds like a drum» videos on youtube I think I will try the G12 (1 ply, 12 mil) since they seem to sound awesome even though they are sold mainly as tom heads.

Justinhub2003

I use almost exclusively evans drumheads and love them. I have used the evans black chrome on my toms for a few years and find them simply awesome both for the sound and the look. I got nothing but very positive feedback about them since I've had them. They have a really low tone, not much sustain and are perfect for rock especially when paired with genera resonant heads. I have to mention that I tune them pretty low so I'm not sure how they would react when tuned higher.
For my snares I don't think I have two with the same heads. However, after watching the «sounds like a drum» videos on youtube I think I will try the G12 (1 ply, 12 mil) since they seem to sound awesome even though they are sold mainly as tom heads.
I went with the Evans G14 Coated .. single ply but 14 mil. Sounds better then a G2 imo

Sonorfan

I've quickly come to learn that with the release of the UV1 and UV2 lines there is very little reason for most other snare/tom heads to even exist. Maybe it's just me though.
So I had purchased a Mapex Brass Cat in May and was doing a lot of Jazz and some Blues, mostly with Brushes.
The drum came with a Remo Ambassador batter which is always good for awhile with brushes but wears out quickly. I have a Remo Fibreskyn on my other Jazz snare and it’s good with brushes but even in a small venue with a trio the brushes get lost especially on the sweep, so I have to be more aggressive, more flams, slaps etc.
So, after reading your post re Evans UV heads and watching some YouTube vids, I bought and installed one today on the Cat. Sound is a little darker than the Amb. with sticks but I don’t mind that as Toms have Evans Calftone so blend is better even when tuned to G like previously. But the brush response is fabulous, great volume with medium wire and big with stiff wire units. And, Evans says the coating will outlast anything on the market today. Thanks for the great tip. I think I’m going to be a convert.
Cheers and Happy and safe New Year
👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

roncadillac

So I had purchased a Mapex Brass Cat in May and was doing a lot of Jazz and some Blues, mostly with Brushes.
The drum came with a Remo Ambassador batter which is always good for awhile with brushes but wears out quickly. I have a Remo Fibreskyn on my other Jazz snare and it’s good with brushes but even in a small venue with a trio the brushes get lost especially on the sweep, so I have to be more aggressive, more flams, slaps etc.
So, after reading your post re Evans UV heads and watching some YouTube vids, I bought and installed one today on the Cat. Sound is a little darker than the Amb. with sticks but I don’t mind that as Toms have Evans Calftone so blend is better even when tuned to G like previously. But the brush response is fabulous, great volume with medium wire and big with stiff wire units. And, Evans says the coating will outlast anything on the market today. Thanks for the great tip. I think I’m going to be a convert.
Cheers and Happy and safe New Year
👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼
I absolutely agree that the stick sound on the uv line is a bit darker then their comparable models (g1/amb or g2/emp) and also agree that I like it more. They still are lovely and not muted by any means but they have a nice 'roundness' to the higher frequencies that gives them a subtle pre-eq'ed sound and prevents higher tunings (like the snare for example) from sounding thin or tinny.

Hands down the best brush head I've ever used. It doesn't have the overly 'scratchy' sound that a fresh amb/g1 has but it also doesn't wear out into a non-usable brush head like the amb/g1 does. Right out of the box it's got the perfect balance of 'grab' and 'smooth' for brushes and it stays that way... For a long long time.

My buddy plays a 14" acrylic snare with 2.3mm hoops tuned marching tight with a uv1 batter. While I admit it's not the most versatile drum around it fits into his punk and reggae style very well and the rim shots on that drum will seriously make your heart have a murmur lol.

Another post about calftones... I'm really thinking about giving them a try again. I really liked those heads but got tired of the bubbling. I've read that Evans has improved that as well as have read two or three recent a posts about them being used successfully.

Sonorfan

I absolutely agree that the stick sound on the uv line is a bit darker then their comparable models (g1/amb or g2/emp) and also agree that I like it more. They still are lovely and not muted by any means but they have a nice 'roundness' to the higher frequencies that gives them a subtle pre-eq'ed sound and prevents higher tunings (like the snare for example) from sounding thin or tinny.

Hands down the best brush head I've ever used. It doesn't have the overly 'scratchy' sound that a fresh amb/g1 has but it also doesn't wear out into a non-usable brush head like the amb/g1 does. Right out of the box it's got the perfect balance of 'grab' and 'smooth' for brushes and it stays that way... For a long long time.

My buddy plays a 14" acrylic snare with 2.3mm hoops tuned marching tight with a uv1 batter. While I admit it's not the most versatile drum around it fits into his punk and reggae style very well and the rim shots on that drum will seriously make your heart have a murmur lol.

Another post about calftones... I'm really thinking about giving them a try again. I really liked those heads but got tired of the bubbling. I've read that Evans has improved that as well as have read two or three recent a posts about them being used successfully.
I really like the Calftones on my toms.
Mellow when set medium but I cranked mine up for Jazz and they sound VG. But, when I tried to crank them real high like std coated heads they choked. My kit is a Sonor Safari so the 10in and 14in toms are not deep and of course the so called selected hardwood they use could be anything so a combo of both may have restricted sound. That might not be a problem with Birch /Maple and deeper shells. So I settled on D for the 10in and C for the 14in floor tom... both about 50htz and they sound fine.
The snare is at G with htz slighty lower than the Amb due to darker tone of the UV1. I realize that tuning isn’t to the triad some recommend but they sound good to my old ears. And.. I keep the kick about G as well. I used to have it pitched to E to match our Bass low note but I thought we blended too much and I was mudding
his sound. I read that sometimes the kick should be different and it seems to work. I use a Vater vintage Lambswool beater for Jazz and an old round felt beater, covered by one of those short sports socks for louder Blues and I like they way they both sound and so does the band. And that little 16in Safari kick has big volume for a small unit so I did the standard felt strip on the batter head..
Remo Pinstripe.. and I get the sound I want. Thanks again.. cant get over the
Brush sound on the UV1 !

roncadillac

I really like the Calftones on my toms.
Mellow when set medium but I cranked mine up for Jazz and they sound VG. But, when I tried to crank them real high like std coated heads they choked. My kit is a Sonor Safari so the 10in and 14in toms are not deep and of course the so called selected hardwood they use could be anything so a combo of both may have restricted sound. That might not be a problem with Birch /Maple and deeper shells. So I settled on D for the 10in and C for the 14in floor tom... both about 50htz and they sound fine.
The snare is at G with htz slighty lower than the Amb due to darker tone of the UV1. I realize that tuning isn’t to the triad some recommend but they sound good to my old ears. And.. I keep the kick about G as well. I used to have it pitched to E to match our Bass low note but I thought we blended too much and I was mudding
his sound. I read that sometimes the kick should be different and it seems to work. I use a Vater vintage Lambswool beater for Jazz and an old round felt beater, covered by one of those short sports socks for louder Blues and I like they way they both sound and so does the band. And that little 16in Safari kick has big volume for a small unit so I did the standard felt strip on the batter head..
Remo Pinstripe.. and I get the sound I want. Thanks again.. cant get over the
Brush sound on the UV1 !
Well my friend, it sounds like you know what you are talking about and have a set up that suits your needs. Here's to many sessions in 2021 to riff that sweet kit! Cheers

Sonorfan

And I’m guessing you’ve done studio work and that is great. I joined this Forum a couple of years back at 78 and I’m now heading to 81 and still getting valuable information and tips from drummers of all ages.. how great that we’re never to old to learn.
As the Brits say..”Chive On”
A Happy and safe New Year to you and yours.

roncadillac

And I’m guessing you’ve done studio work and that is great. I joined this Forum a couple of years back at 78 and I’m now heading to 81 and still getting valuable information and tips from drummers of all ages.. how great that we’re never to old to learn.
As the Brits say..”Chive On”
A Happy and safe New Year to you and yours.
Age is an arbitrary number on paper my friend, it's how you feel that matters! And I agree on never being to old too learn, when you 'know everything'.... What is the point? Life is a pursuit of knowledge and personal growth, your story is inspiring.

Sonorfan

Age is an arbitrary number on paper my friend, it's how you feel that matters! And I agree on never being to old too learn, when you 'know everything'.... What is the point? Life is a pursuit of knowledge and personal growth, your story is inspiring.
As the saying goes “Hang in There”
well I’m holding on...actually clawing on !
👍🏼😆