Evans G2 coated vs Pinstripes

Drumolator

Platinum Member
At the church where we go now, the drum set is a 90s Pearl Export. The room is much smaller than any church I have ever played at. At first I put Evans Hydraulic heads on top of the toms to keep the volume down. It was the wrong move big time. Now I use coated Evans G1's on both the top and bottom of the toms, which make it much easier to play more softly. Peace and goodwill.

Sonorfan

Actually the UV1 produces a fatter slightly reduced sound than Evans or Remo standard coated heads. I play a lot of brushes and the coating on the standard hands only lasts about 6 mos. So I listened to Evans NAAM interview touting extreme durability of the UV1 and read posts here so I bought one And installed it Dec29th. Now in less than a month the coating is chipping and brushes catch. I don’t hit hard.. never broken a head or a stick. So in combo with the 10 in Calftone that bubbled (Evens is sending a replacement) I’m wondering about their quality control.

Hi guys / gals. I'm new to drum tuning / head selections. I returned to drumming as a 69 year old retiree for personal / recreational pleasure after a 50 year Hiatus. Playing to MY Music. I just bought a Used (great condition except for the damage to the bass drum reso side wood hoop and pdp reso drum head .... SOB), from Guitar Center. It is a 6 piece kit with the standard pdp Remo stock heads (clear on batter and reso on all the Toms). I have seen comments on line thatb the Remo Pinstripes seem like a good replacement head. Now on my existing cheapo Gammon kit I got for Xmas from my Wife of all people in 2018, I have tweaked the 12, 13 and 16 inch Toms with a variety of Reso and Batter heads. Currently, have EC2s Clear batter and G1 s clear reso heads. I have tried G2s, Remo Ambassadors, G1s, Attack ToneRidge (over muffled - thick plys- exchanged for the EC2s). Of course, anything was better than the cheapo stock heads on the Gammon Drums... Aquarian Super Kick II Batter and ported Reso Bass drum - no pillows, heads. Is it worth trying the Remo Pinstripes COATED or CLEAR ?

cbphoto

Gold Member
No more 2-ply for me. I’m using Coated G14 on all my toms and love it. The stick attack is much less “tacky” sounding, with an increase in warmth.

Sonorfan

Hi guys / gals. I'm new to drum tuning / head selections. I returned to drumming as a 69 year old retiree for personal / recreational pleasure after a 50 year Hiatus. Playing to MY Music. I just bought a Used (great condition except for the damage to the bass drum reso side wood hoop and pdp reso drum head .... SOB), from Guitar Center. It is a 6 piece kit with the standard pdp Remo stock heads (clear on batter and reso on all the Toms). I have seen comments on line thatb the Remo Pinstripes seem like a good replacement head. Now on my existing cheapo Gammon kit I got for Xmas from my Wife of all people in 2018, I have tweaked the 12, 13 and 16 inch Toms with a variety of Reso and Batter heads. Currently, have EC2s Clear batter and G1 s clear reso heads. I have tried G2s, Remo Ambassadors, G1s, Attack ToneRidge (over muffled - thick plys- exchanged for the EC2s). Of course, anything was better than the cheapo stock heads on the Gammon Drums... Aquarian Super Kick II Batter and ported Reso Bass drum - no pillows, heads. Is it worth trying the Remo Pinstripes COATED or CLEAR ?
I'm 80 and played steady save a short 10 year hiatus so welcome back. Choosing the right head today is much more confusing than even 20 years ago when a coated Ambassador was the std batter and a clear single reso where the norm. I don't record but for those that do I understand audio engineers will often
mute the heads to get the sound they want. Over the years I have settled on three types. Coated snare batter, sometimes with internal dot, as I do a lot of brush work. If I want big sound from toms and kick I
found that clear or black Remo Pinstripes give that nice open yet controlled sound. I also have both Evans Calftone And Remo Diplomat FibreSkyn for Jazz combo work. I've tried a myriad of others even Remo pre tuned but in the end gravitate back to the old reliables.
welcome back ?