Evans G2 Clear vs. Coated, or...

wraub

Gold Member
Anybody here have experience comparing these two heads?
Currently using G2 Clear batter heads over G1 resos, and I like but don't love the sound... I think I understand the "plasticy" thing I've heard said.
These are the heads that came on the kit I got used, I have no idea of their age.

Some videos suggest the G2 Coated batter may be closer to what I'm looking for, but... Alternatives?

The drums in question are poplar/mahogany rack toms and a beech floor tom, so, looking for a balance point. The rack toms sound good but a little strong on attack, and the low tom has sustain for days, a warmth I'd like to emphasize and a brightness I'd like to tame a bit. Each drum currently has one piece of Moongel on it, no other "control".
I'm looking for a warm fat balanced sound that has focus, controlled but not totally dead. Easy to tune would be nice, too. :)

Suggestions?

Thanks. ;)

Anybody here have experience comparing these two heads?
Currently using G2 Clear batter heads over G1 resos, and I like but don't love the sound... I think I understand the "plasticy" thing I've heard said.
These are the heads that came on the kit I got used, I have no idea of their age.

Some videos suggest the G2 Coated batter may be closer to what I'm looking for, but... Alternatives?

The drums in question are poplar/mahogany rack toms and a beech floor tom, so, looking for a balance point. The rack toms sound good but a little strong on attack, and the low tom has sustain for days, a warmth I'd like to emphasize and a brightness I'd like to tame a bit. Each drum currently has one piece of Moongel on it, no other "control".
I'm looking for a warm fat balanced sound that has focus, controlled but not totally dead. Easy to tune would be nice, too. :)

Suggestions?

Thanks. ;)

You've got a few options from here:

G2 coated will help cut some of that 'plastic' sound for sure. You can swap your reso's for either coated g1 or reso 7 heads which will add further warmth and a minor reduction in sustain, without making your drums sound dead and still allowing them to sing. Another, even better, option is to try uv2 heads. They have an added warmth from the coating, the film used speaks in a darker tone then that of the g2, and the coating is damn near bulletproof. Another option is the frosted ec2. This gives you an even more punchy sound with even less sustain (again, without killing the drum) and the 'frosting' is just their normal spray coating without the white color added so it adds warmth.

To sum it up:
G2 coated- same sound but less plastic and warmer.
Uv2- darker tone, less plastic, better durability.
Ec2 frosted- less sustain, more punch, warmth from coating.

And adding either a coated g1 or reso 7 as your reso will increase the above properties further.

These are all generalizations of course and you may have to play with combos but I've got a ton of experience with Evans' portfolio so this should be a starting point. Hope it helps!

I use coated heads (Remo) regardless of the number of plies. Coated heads are warmer and have more overtone control. I also like the look and feel of a coated, sandpaper-like texture. Clear heads have never won me over.

Last edited:
I can see how the plasticy thing could aid projection out front, but it may be making me crazy. :D I can't not hear it now.

Re two-ply heads- I really don't know. I have limited experience with head options and choices. I know I like a lot of the things about the way these G2's sound, but the things I don't like I really don't like.

I am open to all suggestions. :)

The answer is coated emperors or coated G2 for the win. Actually the clear emperors don’t sound as plasticky to me as clear G2s do. I don’t remember G2s sounding so till more recent innovations? Maybe it’s just my imagination running away with me.

I can see how the plasticy thing could aid projection out front, but it may be making me crazy. :D I can't not hear it now.

Re two-ply heads- I really don't know. I have limited experience with head options and choices. I know I like a lot of the things about the way these G2's sound, but the things I don't like I really don't like.

I am open to all suggestions. :)

If you want to something warm, fat, focused, and easy to tune, as you describe in your initial post, you might give Remo Coated Pinstripes a go. I'm running them on my toms and bass right now with good results. They've got a nice low-end punch. Here's a quick demo:

I run the G2 coated over the EC reso and couldn't be happier. I get none of that plasticky sound.

Another option, if you like the look of clear heads, would be the EC2’s. I think the slight muffling ring they use on those cuts down on some of the plasticky attack, but not all. If you’re playing un-mic’d, I think if you listened to your drums from the audience side, you won’t hear the plasticky attack, but it helps to project.

+1

The EC2s are fantastic heads and don't have that plasticky click at all - I've had excellent luck with them in both studio and live settings.

+1

The EC2s are fantastic heads and don't have that plasticky click at all - I've had excellent luck with them in both studio and live settings.

Another unlikely “non-plastikly” sound would be Remo black dots too. That center dot muffles a bit. If you listen to a lot of Tony Williams when he played his big Yellow Gretsch Kit, you’re hearing black dots. It sounds cool when he plays them.

The gist of most head discussions:

I. Remo fans say Evans is "plasticky." Evans fans say Remo is "plasticky."

II. Remo fans say Evans lacks tone. Evans fans say Remo lacks tone.

III. Remo fans say they've received dead heads from Evans. Evans fans say they've received dead heads from Remo.

IV. Remo fans say Evans sucks. Evans fans say Remo sucks.

Where are Aquarian fans in this imbroglio? Somehow, they find a way to sit back and laugh at the feud.

Where are Aquarian fans in this imbroglio? Somehow, they find a way to sit back and laugh at the feud.

At your service! We Aquarian lovers hate Remo AND Evans! :) (jk, everyone makes a good head.)

Last edited:
I'm really digging the Coated Super 2's on my toms. It's a thinner two-ply head coming in at a 7+5 mil. They're really warm and expressive, and they give me a full and deep sound.
But if you want something a bit more dampened, try a Performance 2. 7+7 mil with tone control sealed along the edge.

When talking about little things then the equivalents from other brands are worth checking out.

I like Remo because they have a slightly sweeter top end and they have the right kind of pronounced mids. Depends a bit on the drums obviously.

Aquarian is generally even more controlled.

I'm really digging the Coated Super 2's on my toms. It's a thinner two-ply head coming in at a 7+5 mil. They're really warm and expressive, and they give me a full and deep sound.
But if you want something a bit more dampened, try a Performance 2. 7+7 mil with tone control sealed along the edge.

I'm using a mix of Super 2, Performance 2, and Force 10 on my toms, going thicker as the drums increase in size. I like them a lot.

And CM nailed it; I do usually sit back and enjoy the Remo v. Evans threads. I'm glad to offer suggestions but most people only ask about Remo and Evans and I feel like "that guy" if I bring up Aquarian too often. But seriously, I think a lot fewer folks would be disappointed with their heads if they'd just switch to Aquarian! :p

I'm using a mix of Super 2, Performance 2, and Force 10 on my toms, going thicker as the drums increase in size. I like them a lot.

And CM nailed it; I do usually sit back and enjoy the Remo v. Evans threads. I'm glad to offer suggestions but most people only ask about Remo and Evans and I feel like "that guy" if I bring up Aquarian too often. But seriously, I think a lot fewer folks would be disappointed with their heads if they'd just switch to Aquarian! :p
Well said! Now what we need is @drumnut87 for backup! ?

Back