Evans EQ Pillow

A-customs

Silver Member
Are they all the same size???I See quite a swing in prices on EBay For those who use them,do they stay in place after you move them from gig to gig ,or do you find your self readjusting it after every move?Hows the sound over a rolled up towel etc??? Thanks.....

KamaK

Platinum Member
I assume there are different lengths.

The Evans-EQ pillows use adhesive velcro to stay in place. I've never seen one requiring adjustment after proper installation. They do a good job at reducing overtone and note duration without reducing volume. They do not change the beater/batter interaction and feel like a pillow does.

I use one of these to tame a cheap and unruly Ludwig 'Accent Combo' kick, and it works wonderfully.

2bsticks

Platinum Member
I use them in all my bass drums. They are adjustable, they stay put and there are velcro stirips on both sides so you could add a second pillow if you wanted more muffling or to muffle the front head.

eclipseownzu

Gold Member
I also use them in all of my bass drums. I think they only come in one size, but you are not using it to dampen the reso head, only the batter, so the length is really irrelevant. It comes with some pretty high quality velcro that stays put for years. I have had the one in my gigging kit for like 5 years and have never had to mess with it.

A-customs

Silver Member
Thanks 4 all the replies everyone, am getting a few now. Ordered 2 from Sam ash 33.50 for 2......

Last edited:

porter

Platinum Member
You could also use a normal towel or pillow.
Velcro strips, my man... velcro strips.

I use mine to muffle the resonant head, not the batter. I've used it not touching either head before as well- just soaking up some frequencies.

mpthomson

One towel rolled up, one strip of gaffa tape to attach towel to inside of shell.

Job done, cost negligible if it's an old towel that your dearly beloved is insisiting gets thrown out.

KamaK

Platinum Member
One towel rolled up, one strip of gaffa tape to attach towel to inside of shell.

Job done, cost negligible if it's an old towel that your dearly beloved is insisiting gets thrown out.
While I agree, towel/blanket/pillow all sound and function differently than the EQ pad. The Pad 'flaps' for lack of a better word. When you strike the kick, it momentarily stops making contact with the head letting the kick ring in all it's full glory, and then mutes it shortly thereafter. I also noticed that placing a towel/pillow against the batter noticeably changes the bounce of the beater off the head.

Personally, If there were no EQ pads, I'd go with a pillow so I could sleep more comfortably in the Van, or a blanket for those mornings where it's cold in the park.

eclipseownzu

Gold Member
Personally, If there were no EQ pads, I'd go with a pillow so I could sleep more comfortably in the Van, or a blanket for those mornings where it's cold in the park.
This is the best quote I have read in years. Dual purpose muffling! Im just going to put all of my valuables in a bag and muffle the bass drum with that so I dont have shit getting stolen out of the truck at gigs.

I think you are to something here. Drum muffling for the gigging musician.