Evans EQ Pad

SeanMc

Hello, Has anyone tried the evans EQ bass drum muffle pad? If so, thoughts? I am trying to figure out what to use to muffle my 20 inch bass drum. I have coated heads on the toms (10,12,14) and plan to use the kit (Yamaha Gigmaker) on small, quieter gigs.
Thanks,
Sean

I have an Evans EQ pad in my 22" TAMA Silverstar bass drum, but it barely touches the head; the top of it is maybe an inch or two from the bottom of the drum.

I like it, and it does its job on my bass drum, but I'm thinking you should be able to tune and leave a 20" bass drum wide open.

What kind of heads are you using?

I have an Evans EQ pad in my 22" TAMA Silverstar bass drum, but it barely touches the head; the top of it is maybe an inch or two from the bottom of the drum.

I like it, and it does its job on my bass drum, but I'm thinking you should be able to tune and leave a 20" bass drum wide open.

What kind of heads are you using?
Right now it has the heads that came with the kit.

Hello, Has anyone tried the evans EQ bass drum muffle pad? If so, thoughts? I am trying to figure out what to use to muffle my 20 inch bass drum. I have coated heads on the toms (10,12,14) and plan to use the kit (Yamaha Gigmaker) on small, quieter gigs.
Thanks,
Sean

The pads are cool - but I haven't used one since I started using the EMAD heads with the built in muffling rings. I might look a new head before I added the pad.

I use a clear EMAD and there's tons of cool variations:

You can get the UV emad - which is a coated version
The Calftone EMA - which is a version that usese the calftone head for that warmer vintage calfskin kind of sound
EMAD Heavy Weight - if you're a harder hitter (it has 2 10mil plies) or want an even fatter punch

I love those heads.

Also the Aquarian Superkick are similiar with the built in muffling ring and those sound AWESOME too - I'm less familiar with the variations of them.

I used to have one. I put it the bottom inside of my bass drum not touching either head. I used it to soak up the high frequencies bouncing around inside. Later I used a folded up towel. Peace and goodwill

I put it the bottom inside of my bass drum not touching either head. I used it to soak up the high frequencies bouncing around inside.

I tried this with my bass drum on Saturday when I went into the rehearsal space, and all I can say is... wow!

What a difference pulling the pad completely off the batter head made, even though the pad was barely touching it to begin with. Doing this got me really, really close to the sound I'm looking for - wide open, resonant, and with as few high frequencies as possible. Now, all I need to do is look into a different beater and I think I'll be all set.

Thanks for the tip!

The pads are cool - but I haven't used one since I started using the EMAD heads with the built in muffling rings. I might look a new head before I added the pad.

I use a clear EMAD and there's tons of cool variations:

You can get the UV emad - which is a coated version
The Calftone EMA - which is a version that usese the calftone head for that warmer vintage calfskin kind of sound
EMAD Heavy Weight - if you're a harder hitter (it has 2 10mil plies) or want an even fatter punch

I love those heads.

Also the Aquarian Superkick are similiar with the built in muffling ring and those sound AWESOME too - I'm less familiar with the variations of them.
I'm using the pad with light pressure on the front head so it has more of a gating effect than a muffling effect. Evens EMAD Calftones with the smaller of the two rings. It's got a terrific boom, a nice long comping tone and sounds round and warm feathered.

Am using a couple of them on different kits. Liking them a lot :)

Back