Evans EC2 SST coated vs. clear

This may not be an easy question, but I'll put it out there anyway. I plan on getting the EC2s for my toms, Starclassic birch Performer (10,12 & 14), but I'm not sure if should go for the clear or the coated. What is the difference in sound between the two?

Thank you in advance for any input. It is very much appreciated.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
There's a ton of discussion on this mate, it's been well covered here on DW. Just do a search for coated vs clear and you'll find plenty of reading. Specific models don't matter as the principal remains the same regardless of what head you're using.

Broadly speaking, coated head produce a rounder, warmer tone. Whilst clear heads tend to favour a little more punch and attack. but you're better off reading through a few existing threads for a more thorough review. However, the very best way to determine the difference is to buy one of each, put 'em on, tune 'em up and let your own ear take note of the subtleties between the two.....that way terms like "rounder" or "warmer" or "punchy" become easier to determine.

konaboy

Pioneer Member
There's a ton of discussion on this mate, it's been well covered here on DW. Just do a search for coated vs clear and you'll find plenty of reading. Specific models don't matter as the principal remains the same regardless of what head you're using.

Broadly speaking, coated head produce a rounder, warmer tone. Whilst clear heads tend to favour a little more punch and attack. but you're better off reading through a few existing threads for a more thorough review. However, the very best way to determine the difference is to buy one of each, put 'em on, tune 'em up and let your own ear take note of the subtleties between the two.....that way terms like "rounder" or "warmer" or "punchy" become easier to determine.
Yup couldn't agree more. Take your favorite tom and get one of each to compare. Also have someone else play that drum while you stand 10-15 ft away so you can see what it sounds like out in front of the kit.