evans ec2 clear or remo emperor clear??

please help me!!!

I want a nice controlled sound but not too muffled, i dont want it to be to open. My previous heads were evans g2. but they are too open sounding.Im also looking for the more durable head.I have a tama starclassic b/b.which would you recommend!!!

please help!!!

Last edited:
well remo emporers are basically the same thing as G2s.

have you tried the coated version of either head?
it will give you a slightly more controlled sound.

I use the clear emperors and tuned properly they sound great, just enough ring and not dead. You can also tune the bottom head a bit higher than the batter head to kill unwanted overtones. Or, I used Remo smooth coated emperors on a set of Pearl Masters(maple) and those heads were very warm and rich tuned on the low side..

Good luck.

EC2s ARE G2s with an "edge control ring." The tuning range and the stick feel will be about the same. It's the same 2x7 mil head. The film around the perimeter of the EC2 inhibits some vibrations that result in brighter overtones. Thus, the deeper tones appear to be more prominent. They sustain at lower registers only, but they do sustain.

EC2s are probably more comparable to Remo Pinstripes, whereas G2s compare to Emperors.

I'm using the clear EC2's right now on one of my sets. They are similar to Pinstripes but I feel they are a bit more live. Having said that, I have a big order of coated G2 batters/clear G1 resos that just arrived that will be replacing the EC2 heads when I get the time to change them.

My feeling from what you are saying is that you will have to get a head that may have just a bit more 'open' sound (i.e. sustain) than you want and then dampen it to your liking. I like G2's for 2-ply heads even better than Emperors but both are good 2-ply heads

Maybe try an Aquarian Super-2 with the Studio-X ring. These are 2-ply clear heads with a light dampening ring underneath the head. Then if it still rings too much, use some Moon Gel to dampen it more to your liking. Moon Gel is my personal favorite for dampening as you can cut up[ the gels into smaller pieces and then move them around until you get the right combination of tone and control.

Whatever head you get, I say let it be naturally more open but control the ring afterwards with dampening. If you get a Hydraulic or something similar you have nowhere to go but Cardboard City. Make sure you aren't setting the goal of sounding like a heavily processed recording (with gates, EQ's, compressors, etc.) or you'll sabotage your live sound and in general, drive yourself crazy.

IMHO, YMMV

Jim

thanks dude.. so im probable just buy some ec2's and keep a G1 as a resodent head. i tried aqarium studio x's i love there sound but unfortunenatly they are 10 mil single ply heads! i play hard so they got heavily dented in a week!

Last edited:
EC2 over G1's should be fine.

BTW: The Aquarian Super-2's are 2-ply with 5 mil film over 7 mil film. This head comes with or without the Studio-X ring. This is definitely a thicker, more robust head than a regular Studio-X which is, like you say, a single ply head and probably not best for hard hitting.
Let us know how things work out.

Jim

thanks dude.. so im probable just buy some ec2's and keep a G1 as a resodent head. i tried aqarium studio x's i love there sound but unfortunenatly they are 10 mil single ply heads! i play hard so they got heavily dented in a week!

Great choice. You will be very happy with the EC2.

Here is my personal experience with the heads.

Emperor clear - seems a little deader than G2 clear but did not last as long.

G2 Coated - more controlled but has a more pronounced "attack" to it than G2 Clear.

EC2 clear - brought out the best of both G2 Coated and G2 clear....they are awesome!

Back