Evans EC Resonant v Evans Reso7 drum heads

basset52

I'm interested in these. Has anyone tried both and can describe the sound differences.?. I've Googled and searched here but can't find any direct comparison. I know structurally the Reso7 is 7 mil one ply and the EC resonant is 10 mil with the rings.

C.M. Jones

Based upon my knowledge of Remo heads, the Evans Reso7 seems similar to the Remo Diplomat, whereas the EC is similar to the Remo Ambassador. The thinner the resonant head, the less resonant it will be, at least in theory. Coating can kill resonance even more. Though the coating adds mass, it also acts as a muffler. Thus, if you want minimal resonance, select a very thin coated head. If you want maximum resonance, go with a thicker clear head.

Of course, if the 10 mil you're considering has built-in rings, they will dampen the head's resonant capacity, negating its additional mass.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I've used the EC Reso heads, and I like them a lot. The edge control ring gives the head a little more focus, which translates as having a more stable and clear fundamental tone.

I've not tried the Reso 7 so I can't offer anything in the way of a comparison.

mrfingers

Based upon my knowledge of Remo heads, the Evans Reso7 seems similar to the Remo Diplomat, whereas the EC is similar to the Remo Ambassador. The thinner the resonant head, the less resonant it will be, at least in theory. Coating can kill resonance even more. Though the coating adds mass, it also acts as a muffler. Thus, if you want minimal resonance, select a very thin coated head. If you want maximum resonance, go with a thicker clear head.
Seems backwards to me: I always figured a thin res vibrated more than a thicker one or why use a G1 under a G2? Some use the reverse to deaden the ringing.

C.M. Jones

Seems backwards to me: I always figured a thin res vibrated more than a thicker one or why use a G1 under a G2? Some use the reverse to deaden the ringing.
I know it seems bizarre upon first consideration, but it works in the following way: No resonant head means no resonating and thus pure attack with short sustain. A super-thin resonant head slightly increases resonance, but resonance is more dramatic as thickness (mass) is added, as there's more material to resonate. I'm talking about single-ply heads in this case. A double-ply head, though it certainly has a lot of mass, would reduce resonance.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I found that the 7 mil resonant heads are good for a shorter sustaining drum.

I don't like them. If you like a longer tom note, don't use them on toms. They sound thin and wimpy to me for what I play. But for light orchestral playing, they excel with their crispness and sensitivity on snare drums. If you hit the drums even a little on the hard side you won't like them on the batter side. They dent too easy. Using them on just the reso side thins the tone and shortens the note IMO.

To my ear a 7 mil head removes some balls from a drum.

The more mass something has, the longer it will sustain, fact. So a 7 mil head will die before a 10 mil head.

Which can be good or bad depending on your needs.

Last edited:

roncadillac

I have tried the reso 7 on two different drums (both excessively resonant) and in both cases it didn't reduce overtones or ring whatsoever, it did help make them a bit more rounded which softened their impact but I wasn't impressed. I much prefer a single ply coated batter equivalent such as a Coated G1 or the UV1 for a reso then the reso 7. The g12 is another great option if you want to deaden it further without going 2 ply. In the end I prefer concert style/single head toms and have recently gone uv1 batter over soundoff mesh reso on my toms with tremendous results. No experience with the ec reso.

Justinhub2003

Not sure if you've tried the Evans Genera Reso but they are really good, at least to my ears.

Marketing materials say they are designed to be coupled with a 2 ply batter heard.

I used them with EC2S on top and sometimes Evans G2 Coated as well

basset52

Not sure if you've tried the Evans Genera Reso but they are really good, at least to my ears.

Marketing materials say they are designed to be coupled with a 2 ply batter heard.

I used them with EC2S on top and sometimes Evans G2 Coated as well
Not tried the Evans Genera Reso. A lot of folks seem to use them. Might get a set to try them out. Thanks.

cbphoto

Gold Member
I used Genera Reso for years, and about 4 years ago I tried the Reso 7 on all my toms (10, 12, 14, 16) for about a year. I assumed they shortened the sustain, something I wanted for recording. I first tried them with UV1, then clear G1. While the sustain seemed shorter, it also took away some low end. After a year I replaced them with Genera clear and all is well.