Evans Dixson Bass Drum Lift

LittleLegs

Hi - I have a 20" bass drum and was thinking of getting a bass drum lift. This one looks really well designed, but doesn't seem to give as much height as other cheaper ones. Does anyone have experience of it (or any bass drum lifts they recommend? THANKS!

I wouldn't suggest a lift for a 20 inch drum, but whatever floats your boat. Toms can be easier to place and the pedal beater can be adjusted 1 inch, half of the diameter difference.

Artie Dixson most have sold the patent to D'Addario/Evans.

I don't use a lifter for anything 18" or bigger, but this will protect your hoop from pedal rash.

How does it stay in place? It looks like it just rests against the back of the batter side hoop. It doesn't seem to lock in place anywhere. You don't have the benefit of the weight or the legs of the bass drum to keep it from moving. Does it velcro down or something? Seems to be not very sturdy from the video. Every other lifter I have seen attaches to the drum itself. This just seems like it would move around, especially under heavy playing.

The drawback with a lift is that the pedal ends up further away from the drum, so the beater has to travel further to make contact.

On my 20 I just lower the beater a half inch or so and let it strike a bit above centre. Sounds and feels fine.

I wouldn't suggest a lift for a 20 inch drum, but whatever floats your boat. Toms can be easier to place and the pedal beater can be adjusted 1 inch, half of the diameter difference.

On my 20 I just lower the beater a half inch or so and let it strike a bit above centre. Sounds and feels fine.

Both you guys are crazy. Shortening the beater length by even a few millimeters will greatly effect the balance and feel of the pedal. Doubles will be easier, but it makes it harder to stay in the pocket because there's a tendency to hit slightly earlier.

The sound from dead center vs 2 inches off center is quite noticeable on my 20" kick, and shortening the beater messes with the balance too much, so I'm using a riser. The only downside is that I have to be careful not to hit the rim with the chain on the pedal.

I'm considering getting the Dixson Lift because it'll probably work better than the crappy riser I got from my Breakbeats kit. I just wish it didn't cost $40. Kinda pricey for a piece of plastic.

I use the Mapex lift on my 20" and like it best out of the 3 I used. The Gibraltar lift is good too but a bit bulky and I find I had to keep adjusting the screws. The Dixon is probably the safest as far as not putting tiny marks on your hoop but I never really liked it. Sometime the Velcro would stick too hard to the floor or lining it up under the drum was a pain at times. But that's just me!

Both you guys are crazy. Shortening the beater length by even a few millimeters will greatly effect the balance and feel of the pedal.

I'm considering getting the Dixson Lift because it'll probably work better than the crappy riser I got from my Breakbeats kit. I just wish it didn't cost $40. Kinda pricey for a piece of plastic.

Maybe if your technique was as bad as mine, you wouldn't notice a couple of millimeters :D

Have you checked out the Gilbraltar riser? A bit cheaper than the Dixson. Looks to be a bit more fiddly as well.

I've used the Dixson lift with 20" bass drums before. It adds about an inch of height, so it sort of feels like you're playing a 22". The fact that nothing clamps to the bass drum is what I like about it. Just put your pedal where you normally put it, slide the lift into the pedal, clamp it down, set the bass drum on it and you're ready. I've never had to adjust the beater height, nor has the strap or chain on the pedal rubbed against the hoop. I remember reading a few years ago that someone was complaining that their bass drum kept sliding back into the chain and chewed up the hoop. It took me a while to figure out how that could have happened - if you like to have the front of your bass drum higher, at a noticeable angle, then I could see this happening. The only other thing you have to watch out for is the length of your bass drum spurs. I have run across a situation where the spurs weren't long enough to work with the added height the lift provides - I think it was a Ludwig with the old gull wing type spurs.

I use a Dixson lift with my 24" bass drum. I really like it.

I'm used to a 26 anyway, so the height is not an issue.
I prefer the sound on the lift more than on the floor.
The pedal just clamps on the lip of the lift, and the bass drum sits on the lift no problem.
Never moves or shakes.
I attached it to my drum rug, so the spikes just go in their secured spot, and the bass drum lowers onto the lift. With it attached to the rug, it takes no more effort than before.

Both you guys are crazy. Shortening the beater length by even a few millimeters will greatly effect the balance and feel of the pedal. Doubles will be easier, but it makes it harder to stay in the pocket because there's a tendency to hit slightly earlier.

Most of my bass drums are 20”, so this doesn’t mess with the balance or feel. It stays in the slightly lower position all the time, with the counterweight mounted below.

What actually messes with the feel is when I play an 18” bass with the Gretsch/Gibraltar riser, because the pedal is further from the drum and has to travel further to strike the drum head.

Maybe the Dixon riser is different, but the one I use puts the wooden rim in the way of the chain, so the pedal has to be moved away almost an inch.

What actually messes with the feel is when I play an 18” bass with the Gretsch/Gibraltar riser, because the pedal is further from the drum and has to travel further to strike the drum head.

Maybe the Dixon riser is different, but the one I use puts the wooden rim in the way of the chain, so the pedal has to be moved away almost an inch.

I just got a Tama Speed Cobra 310 today...it has the major advantage of having the chain pushed back towards the player. The chain completely clears the rim by an inch when it's on a riser. I didn't buy it for that reason alone, it was more about feel and efficiency...but I'm glad I don't have to worry about marring my 20" hoop.

dsstb6C.png

I put a paperback book under my 18 inch bass drum. Works for me. My bass drum pedal is screwed to an old drum stick to stabilize it, it is not actually connected to the bass drum.

I use the Mapex lift on my 20" and like it best out of the 3 I used. The Gibraltar lift is good too but a bit bulky and I find I had to keep adjusting the screws. The Dixon is probably the safest as far as not putting tiny marks on your hoop but I never really liked it. Sometime the Velcro would stick too hard to the floor or lining it up under the drum was a pain at times. But that's just me!

I know your post is a little old now but I wanted to ask: did you ever have any fear that your bass drum would fall off/bounce off/etc the dixson lift during heavier playing? I'm not talking highschool punk band beater through the head playing, more so could it handle a heavy funk stomp for example?

Anybody want one really cheap? I have one I don't use it anymore. $15 takes it, you pay for shipping.

Did anyone ever take you up on that?

I bought one, set it up, and quickly realized it wasn't going to work for me and my needs/playing style so I put it up on reverb. In all honesty I play my 16 with no riser and not only have no problem with the "off center beater sound" but actually prefer it. I have no issue with getting a solid Rock "punch" when needed while still having an overall more versatile drum and not having to mess with an extra piece of hardware. I also always preferred my beaters set lower in the pedal then most so there was little to no difference here for me either.

It's basically brand new and though I set it up I never actually played with it, no hair in the Velcro lol and the foam strip still has it's adhesive backing. $20 shipped if anyone wants it, I'll put that in BST if this breaks any forum rule.

Back