Evans Calftone BD reso vs Remo Fiberskyn

Hi,

Has anyone used both bass drum reso heads?

Is there much of a difference between Calftone and Fiberskyn? Thinking about replacing a Fiberskyn with Calftone.

Any thoughts. Not the usual Remo vs Evans hate. Interested in sound difference...if any. Thanks.

roncadillac

Hi,

Has anyone used both bass drum reso heads?

Is there much of a difference between Calftone and Fiberskyn? Thinking about replacing a Fiberskyn with Calftone.

Any thoughts. Not the usual Remo vs Evans hate. Interested in sound difference...if any. Thanks.
I haven't tried both but I've got a ton of experience with the Evans calftone bass drum and tom/snare heads. The tom/snare heads are really thin, 7mil, but the bass drum heads are much thicker (12mil if I remember correctly, no less then 10mil for sure). When you add the 'fibers' from the coating you've got a really thick head. This isn't a bad thing, just something that stood out.

It makes a great looking and sounding bass drum reso. When used as a reso only (with your preferred batter) it really seems to drop the pitch and add some low end.

Can't help with the remo side unfortunately.

vyacheslav

I've used both. They really make the drum sing and offer more low end than a clear or coated head. I would get the heads with the built in muffling ring. For that it would be:

Remo: Fiberskyn 3 Powerstroke 3

Evans: Calftone EQ4

You won't be disappointed with either.

roncadillac

I've used both. They really make the drum sing and offer more low end than a clear or coated head. I would get the heads with the built in muffling ring. For that it would be:

My preferred combo on every bass drum is eq4/ps3 on batter and reso with no other muffling. It's open enough to cut and not sound like cardboard but controlled enough to not sound like I'm using a bop bass drum for rock. Using a syn-calf style head emphasizes that low end further.

Everywhere I look I'm seeing faux calf bass drum reso heads more and more.

graysonator

They also have an EMAD version of the calftone too

Auspicious

The thread from 2 weeks ago there is the comparison between the Fiberskyn and the Calftone in 2 different videos Remo and Evand, it gives an idea at least.

I ordered a Fiberskyn after that.. for my BD I find it sad to see that you don't like it.. what's wrong with it?

The thread from 2 weeks ago there is the comparison between the Fiberskyn and the Calftone in 2 different videos Remo and Evand, it gives an idea at least.

I ordered a Fiberskyn after that.. for my BD I find it sad to see that you don't like it.. what's wrong with it?
I'm speaking only of the reso. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the Remo. Just the kit will need a fresh reso. Thought about keeping the look and perhaps trying the Evans version of the same type of reso. Just wondering if there's much of a difference. I'm just wondering about the whole Remo vs Evans for the kit. Because where I am...Remo has really gone up in price and I've only heard about issues with quality control. Don't know if those issues have been resolved recently.