Evaluating The Playing Of Others

Mongrel

Silver Member
It I want to listen to drumming I pull up Drummerworld "solo" videos.

If I want to listen to "music" I put on an album...

I don't have the training to "evaluate" anybody...but I know what I like.

Lol

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I get a lot of pleasure watching other people work. It's most of the fun for me. I pick everything apart, it's what I do. What goes on in my head stays in my head and I am entitled to my thoughts, even the judgemental ones. As ,long as I keep it to myself, no harm no foul. Everyone judges. If they say they don't they are lying to themselves. It's all OK, it's a reflex mechanism, not a choice. That's said, I relish watching a great drummer at work. The not so good drummers provide a list of stuff to NOT do. So there's a takeaway too. It's all good, especially the judging!

dmacc_2

I have moved beyond the 'critique' element of listening/watching a drummer play. I evaluate only if I am trying to extract something from what is being played.

Otherwise, I don't care about the 'how's', etc... I used to, but not more.... I strictly watch from an enjoyment point of view.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I have moved beyond the 'critique' element of listening/watching a drummer play. I evaluate only if I am trying to extract something from what is being played.

Otherwise, I don't care about the 'how's', etc... I used to, but not more.... I strictly watch from an enjoyment point of view.
Someday, I will get to where you are.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Someday, I will get to where you are.
Many years ago I was a Drum teacher. My dad was a teacher and he would have me work with his beginning students. So I’m sure I will NEVER get to the point where I don’t evaluate another drummers technique and abilities. I tried to not evaluate. I just recently stopped trying. Now I feel much better. I evaluate first, then I get past it if I can and I enjoy the music.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
I obviously register things on several different levels than people in the audience who don't play the instruments. I'll never really get into discussions about it, though.

I generally go to a show because I know it's something I'll like.

One time I was at a bar with a student and there was a drummer destroying his tone with a way to tight grip. I mentioned that to him as it was an opportunity to understand why we work on and talk about that stuff, but it's rare I have a reason to. It's rarely the right forum for such debate.