EPIC drum fills...

donzo74

One of my favorite hard rockin' albums growing up, and to this day, is Dio's Holy Diver. Vinny Appice had some killer fills in every song on that album but my favorite might be the intro to "Straight Through The Heart".

* sorry, not a “pop” album so I withdraw this submission.
** still great drumming from Vinny Appice

Last edited:

Supernoodle

Epic fills in rock music! Wasn't supposed to be limited to pop, I was just lamenting the fact that things you hear on the radio now no longer feature drums and bands recorded that way...

AzHeat

Platinum Member
One of my favorite hard rockin' albums growing up, and to this day, is Dio's Holy Diver. Vinny Appice had some killer fills in every song on that album but my favorite might be the intro to "Straight Through The Heart".

Vinny was a great example of NOT playing simply and not stepping on the song at the same time. Dio’s Holy Diver was probably one of my favorite all time rock albums. All rock, no bubble gum, and nothing pop about it. Thanks for reminding me to pull it back off the shelf.

...Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

slhanks04

Arejay Hale of Halestorm does a great cover of "Straight Through the Heart".

SquadLeader

Gold Member
I'd have thought the opening to Money for Nothing (Dire Straits) would be THE most epic and most famous combination of drum fills in the history of music?

Played by Terry Williams...but interestingly I believe it's the only part of the Brothers In Arms album he played on. One of my favourite ever rock drummers. The work he does on Alchemy is sublime.

Darth Vater

Andy Newmark on ABC's "That was then and this is now"
Jim Gordon on Steve Hunter's "8 miles high"
Tony Williams on "Fred"

trickg

Silver Member
In The Air Tonight - Phil Collins at 3:40
Almost everyone air drums this when they hear it.

I've always enjoyed the snare drum fill on the Beach Boys "Surfin USA" - it's the fill that leads into the chorus at about the 25/26 second mark. It has lots of snap and with the accents it really drives the song hard into the chorus every time he plays it. From what I've read, it was Frank DeVito who played drums on that track, and Dennis Wilson did drums on the rest of the record.

Stroker

Platinum Member
This thread is titled FILLS. Not solos. There is a difference you know!
Precisely, and exactly why I applied the effort to copy the URL code at specific times, so that viewers were automatically forwarded to a chronological point in the videos reflecting the licks that I deemed were worthy and relevant to this topic.

Last edited:

cjl71178

Silver Member
The intro to "2 minutes to midnight" by Iron Maiden is pretty cool.

The fill in "new girl now" by Honeymoon Suite at the 2:41 mark. Not necessarily "epic" but i dig it.