Endorsement deals: Vinnie no longer with Ludwig?

tamadrm

Platinum Member
This statement,though not verified by Ludwig or by Vinny,made the rounds a short time ago,when he was spotted playing a Yamaha kit,at a Herbie Hancock gig.

The latest incarnation of this was seen on Vic's drum shop website on Oct. 10th,and just simply states that Vinny has left Ludwig,for destinations unknown.

I'm of the belief that I'll believe it when I see it,and "hear it" out of the horses mouth.

Ludwig,upon signing it's newest drum star,touted Vinny using their drums and hardware as the second coming,so why cheap out on the logistics end of the deal,and not supply Vinny with Ludwig gear,while at that South American Hancock gig?

Vinnys endorsment is worth plenty of wampum in sales due to the "fanboy factor",so why not go to extrodinary lenghts to accommodate him....IF,....that's what the impetus was, in his possible leaving the brand ..

He had some glowing praise for his new Ludwigs when he first signed up,so I would be curious as to what he was playing at a recent gig on the 11 th with Herbie Hancock in Chicago.

Anybody here see him?Not that it matters what he plays.He could make a First Act kit sound great.I'm just curious.

Opinions?

Steve B

Re: Endorsement deals: Vinny no longer with Ludwig?

I think this is the second time he's been reported as using Yamaha when out of the states, I might be completely making this up or dreamt it but I think it was due to logistical reasons and Yamaha having more of a worldwide presence with regards to supplying backline.

Don't quote me on that though!! Sure we'll find out soon enough.

If it is a move away from Ludwig so soon after signing up it would be a little out the blue given he's raved about his deal up to recently.

You do bring up a good point when you say that if Ludwig is as invested in him as they should be, you'd think they'd do whatever necessary to make sure he's behind a Ludwig kit, whether it's a clinic at a local drum shop or on tour with a high-profile act.

I have no clue what's really going on, though.

His site also no longer has Ludwig under the Links section. Paiste and Remo remain.

Not that I care what he plays, but it is interesting to say the least due to the nature of his presence in the industry.

Plus, I'm sure he would've/should've covered the Yamaha logo if he was still endorsing Ludwig and didn't have a Ludwig set available. At least, that makes sense to do that.

The fact that he didn't cover up the Yamaha logo sure has me wondering if he left Ludwig.

We were talking this up about the time of those videos' appearance here: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109749&highlight=vinnie

As someone who's always had a dispassionate admiration for Vinnie, the only thing I feel is just kind of this bemused befuddlement... Dude plays great, I enjoy watching him play, but maybe he's got issues with commitment...?

yes he has left slumwig...need i say anymore?

I would be interested in your source also,so actually....you do need to say more,since there is nothing in writing from either Vinny or Ludwig ,or more importantly....the drum company that will recieve his next endorsement.

Slunwig.....really?

Steve B

Maybe Ludwig can turn things around.i had a horrible experience with them back in the 80's.i have seen the new drums but they aren't quite yet ready to run with the big dogs yet.thats putting it very nicely...

Maybe Ludwig can turn things around.i had a horrible experience with them back in the 80's.i have seen the new drums but they aren't quite yet ready to run with the big dogs yet.thats putting it very nicely...

I've never had any issues with any of my Ludwig drums.

Ok think about it - that's one event, 30 years ago.
I once bought a bike that didn't work 30 years ago, but I got another one from the same company, and its still running.

Back