Emmanuelle Caplette's new video: Peace For 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just find it amazing that in a brotherhood of drummers, one with sisters as well, that people can find fault with her smiling, being cheesy, having sponsor decals on her bass drum etc etc etc and not just enjoy her drumming. She is very good at what she does. She does it effortlessly and most of us wish we had her drumming skills, were paid the attention she gets, and had the exposure she gets. She will never win, based on the opinions shown on this forum and it really is a shame that she shows she is having fun while drumming and stoops so low as to smile while she is doing it. I really feel there is a ton of envy showing, and really think some folks need to grow up. Done.

I really feel there is a ton of envy showing, and really think some folks need to grow up. Done.
Geez, I dunno, coming from a guy that just got done blowing out a bunch of posts for the personal nature of the disagreement in another thread, I'm surprised to see you engaging in it.

As one who thought her smile was an exercise in misplaced showmanship, I'm not digging hearing from you that I need to grow up.

Done.

What I "blew out" were personal attacks between two people. Mine concern was a lot more general and no one was called any names. As my 2nd Grade teacher said years ago, "I said what I meant and I meant what I said." It would be a lot different if the young lady were here to defend herself or explain herself. But to hide behind keyboards and mock someone that is in the same group of musicians as us is a bit childish. Any other forum would call such behavior trolling. I'm just disappointed because I thought we were better than that.

I'm only uploading Emmanuelle Caplette videos on this forum because I happen to like her drumming a lot and I just want to share it amongst drummers, the fact that she smiles (or not) or that her vids are in a whatever format doesn't even come to the equation as far as I'm concerned.

I started a thread a few weeks ago about Meytal Cohen to celebrate her first album, which was showing her real drumming and not another "drum cover", but the thread was deleted because of sexist remarks about her and female drummers in general, it's saddening and tiring to be honest.

When I start a thread about Simon Phillips, Steve Gadd, Vinnie Colaiuta or Benny Greb, it's with the exact same intentions, to share good drumming amongst drummers, but those threads never get those kind of comments that always poisoning the "famous female" drummer threads.

This place is about drumming and drummers and it happen to be played and shared here by both genders, lets just simply enjoy it for what it is, a celebration of all drummy things in any shape or form.

As opposed to Miss Caplette, I did not smile while typing this post.

When I start a thread about Simon Phillips, Steve Gadd, Vinnie Colaiuta or Benny Greb, it's with the exact same intentions, to share good drumming amongst drummers, but those threads never get those kind of comments that always poisoning the "famous female" drummer threads.

I'm sure if you started a thread about Cooperdrummer (or however he spells it) you would get all sorts of negative comments about the guy. Mention Jared Falk around here and people will recount his early days of Freedrumlessons.com for you. If you want to talk about big name drummers that get sh#t on here, you can post videos of Lars Ulrich. That thread would go on for pages and pages about what people don't like about him.

Listing a series of male drummers, all of which will go down in history as some of the most decorated and influential drummers in the world, and comparing them to, lets face it, unknown YouTube drummers and expecting people to give the same respect between them is asking a bit much.

I'm sure if you started a thread about Cooperdrummer (or however he spells it) you would get all sorts of negative comments about the guy. Mention Jared Falk around here and people will recount his early days of Freedrumlessons.com for you. If you want to talk about big name drummers that get sh#t on here, you can post videos of Lars Ulrich. That thread would go on for pages and pages about what people don't like about him.

I wasn't talking about "unpopular" and "unliked" male drummers which we all know how those threads can go, the most famous ones would be about Ringo Starr.

However, I've never read a sexist comment about male drummers from female drummers nor I ever read a comment about Lars Ulrich's smile (or lack of it) from anyone on this forum.

You can pick up any "female drummer's topic" threads, there's always sexist comments in these threads, there's one going on right now here http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127976, the discussion within this thread has already derailed from the OP post to the everlasting topic of genders, why can't we just appreciate drummers as drummers without the eternal baggage of misogynist comments about female musicians, it is beyond my comprehension, call me a smoothie, a womaniser or a feminist if you like, but it's simply about respect and recognising that female musicians are just as good as their male counterpart.

Listing a series of male drummers, all of which will go down in history as some of the most decorated and influential drummers in the world, and comparing them to, lets face it, unknown YouTube drummers and expecting people to give the same respect between them is asking a bit much.

How can respecting a fellow drummer, regardless of his/her achievements be asking a bit much???

I have the same respect for Emmanuelle Caplette and Simon Phillips, the only difference is that one is an up & coming drummer and the other one is a living legend.

I do like and dislike certain drummers, but I never compare them.

Respectfully yours.

Swissman

Quote:How can respecting a fellow drummer, regardless of his/her achievements be asking a bit much???

Henry I think the key here is that drummers are only 'fellow drummers' when they agree with the norm or the clique has something to gain. We all complain about respect and drummer jokes, then turn around and mock one of our own. God forbid someone try to join the fraternity that may be a little different.

Emmanuelle Caplette is a great drummer - a very nice and gentle person - and I like her smile.

Bernhard

Henry I think the key here is that drummers are only 'fellow drummers' when they agree with the norm or the clique has something to gain. We all complain about respect and drummer jokes, then turn around and mock one of our own. God forbid someone try to join the fraternity that may be a little different.

I don't notice much "good 'one boys" club going on here. At least I don't feel like I'm in any sort of club. So comments from me are going to be from my perspective, not from sort of "collectives" hive mind or anything.

I try to keep sexual bias out of my comments, but in some cases it is unavoidable. If you look up omments I have made about Meytal's playing I'm sure you will find things I have said that relate to her being female, or how she subtly uses her sensuality to gain views on her videos. I just say what I see and if I pick up on subtleties that distract me, I'll comment. To turn the lens on myself, I have a couple videos on YouTube and I have realized that when I play, I look like a bobible head doll. It's distractimg. If someone made that comment to me, I would take a look for it and see if this person is either being unreasonable in their comment or if there'should truth to it. Sure enough there's truth and it's something that I will try to remedy for any future videos as its a distraction.

It's a real drag to see threads like this degrade to the obvious tired old topic. Henri, I don't know what's worse, making threads like these that always follow the same path, or not making threads like these in protest because they always follow the same path.

Anyone who is doing well, who is too young, or too whatever, they get attacked. It's really dismal, we can be so much better than that. It's easy to attack. It takes real maturity to support.

Shame on anyone who attacks another drummer. What's that all about?

Insecurity?

Yea, I think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back