Emmanuelle Caplette's new video: Peace For 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is very good. I'm too busy concentrating to smile whilst playing. :)

Held right back yet on point. Not easy to pull off & still keep motion. I love the fact that she kept the chopsy stuff to a minimum yet kept it interesting for drummers. Nice musical choices - & that smile :)

Oh, for cryin' out loud, people need to stop shooting video at 60 frames per second and running it at normal speed!!!! I can't stand it! I almost started a thread yesterday about this in the "Off-Topic" forum. It is so distracting and looks so unnatural. Ahhh!!!! 30fps MAX on regular speed video. 60fps is for slow motion. 120 for super slow motion. Even faster for "bullet time" slow motion.

Okay, with that out of the way I have to say it was a rather uninspiring video. I was too distracted from her drumming, not only by the 60fps video, but also by her constant need to smile. Is someone telling jokes off camera? Is there a monkey in a tuxedo dancing around in the sound room? Stop smiling! Not every song is supposed to make you smile. Not every part in a song is as equally as enjoyable to play as the other. Stop putting on fake emotions while you play!

I realize this post sounds harsh, but its all constructive criticism. Lose the 60fps and stop smiling and the video would have been a hell of a lot better.

I realize this post sounds harsh

Yeah it does

but its all constructive criticism.

No it doesn't. Telling her to stop smiling is pointless. If you want all your drummers to look all doom and gloom while playing, fine. I love drummers who smile personally, especially when its genuine (unlike others which seem forced *cough* Meytal). People tell me all the time that they love that I smile a lot when I drum live.

Her smiling makes everything she does seem even more effortless. She's having fun! Sorry that you're not!

I agree with TommyD about the video frame rate. It's irritating to watch, but I'm afraid that as the standards get lowered even more over time thanks to the WWW, most people will except it as the new normal. Just likeMP3 compression is so widely accepted now but makes audiophiles cringe.

I enjoy watching and listening to her play. She's a talented drummer and good looking.

Out of sheer ignorance on my part, but how is the frame rate affecting the video? I put it up full screen on 1080p, & it looked ok to me, but I have no idea what I'm looking for.

It has a strange "oversharpened" and yet "smooth" quality to it. Its video quality is jagged and yet fluid like its computer generated. It is so annoying to watch. Video run at normal playback speeds should be shot at 24 or 30 fps maximum. Running a higher frame rate and playing it back at a faster speed to fit within a regular 24 or 30 fps video makes for a very unnatural viewing experience.

Last edited:
No it doesn't. Telling her to stop smiling is pointless. If you want all your drummers to look all doom and gloom while playing, fine. I love drummers who smile personally, especially when its genuine (unlike others which seem forced *cough* Meytal). People tell me all the time that they love that I smile a lot when I drum live.

I'm not saying drumming is all doom and gloom. Watching her play this song with a doom and gloom look on her face would also look silly and forced, just like her smiling looks silly and forced. It was very "Meytal" in its delivery. You can see she was either being directed to smile, or consciously knowing when she was not smiling because the smile was in no way indicative of what or how she was playing, nor did it go well with the music. It was smiling for the sake of smiling. I don't like when a musician forces an emotion on their face when the music does not call for that emotion. It is fake and it is forced.

Listen to the song again without watching the video. What emotion is it giving you? To me, those synthesizer sounds feel unnerving. Throw in the off time playing in various parts and it gives an unbalanced feeling. Do you smile when you are feeling unnerved and off balance? I dont.

Okay, with that out of the way I have to say it was a rather uninspiring video. I was too distracted from her drumming, not only by the 60fps video, but also by her constant need to smile. Is someone telling jokes off camera? Is there a monkey in a tuxedo dancing around in the sound room? Stop smiling! Not every song is supposed to make you smile. Not every part in a song is as equally as enjoyable to play as the other. Stop putting on fake emotions while you play!

I realize this post sounds harsh, but its all constructive criticism. Lose the 60fps and stop smiling and the video would have been a hell of a lot better.

Awhile back a female drummer posted a drum cover video in the "Your Playing" section and someone else's "constructive criticism" for her was that she needed to smile MORE. Just wondering: do we ask the same when a guy posts a video or do we just constructively criticize his technique? Seems like the latter, so some double standards going on I reckon. FYI I'm not a fan of inane stage grinning if it's something that looks like it's been coached into the person (most likely by someone recommending they "smile more" when they play...) but I always enjoy seeing a drummer (or any musician for that matter) enjoying themselves.

Awhile back a female drummer posted a drum cover video in the "Your Playing" section and someone else's "constructive criticism" for her was that she needed to smile MORE. Just wondering: do we ask the same when a guy posts a video or do we just constructively criticize his technique? Seems like the latter, so some double standards going on I reckon. FYI I'm not a fan of inane stage grinning if it's something that looks like it's been coached into the person (most likely by someone recommending they "smile more" when they play...) but I always enjoy seeing a drummer (or any musician for that matter) enjoying themselves.

I would say that if an emotion is "forced", forced so much that it becomes a distraction, I would call out any musician for that; man, woman, child, whatever. I try to not put any gender bias on my criticism. I saw a forced smile on the player's face, so much so that it distracted me from the playing and from the music. I feel it is something that needed to be said. Same for the 60fps video. Ugh... Completely took me out of the music.

If you watch her videos, she smiles on all of them. Maybe she is just a happy person, and is having fun. If you don't want smiles, go watch the evening news.

I agree on the smiling bit. I don't need to see a smile to detect that someone is having fun - the nature and quality of the playing will usually indicate that without having to Kabuki it up. People play video games for fun everyday and how often do you see them smiling? It's for show and can be seen as inauthentic.

Don't get me wrong, she's very pretty and it's nice to see her smiling, but that particular piece of music didn't evoke images of happy smiles at all. Not for me anyway.

But great drumming for sure.

If you watch her videos, she smiles on all of them.

Absolutely true John, that must be a trait of character, I wish I could smile as much as her when I'm playing, at least it would spare the audience of the awful faces I'm pulling, they must think that I'm in pain or that a drum kit is an instrument of torture or worse they could think that I'm angry about something, lol.

Maybe she is just a happy person, and is having fun.

If I was able to play like her, I would be a very happy person... but I'm not, so audiences will have to keep up with my awful, painful and angry face :)

Sheesh! Who pissed in your cornflakes?

image.png

The unofficial anthem of Quebec goes:Gens du pays, c'est votre tour / De vous laisser parler d'amour, which, translated, says, "Folks of the land, it is your turn to let yourselves talk of love."[1]

As a former Quebecer I can tell you that the smile is a very common trait of the ladies from Quebec.

I forgot to mention how great it is to hear Jerry Goodman again; one of my favorite musicians. First The Flock and then The Mahavishnu Orchestra and many recordings with Jan Hammer and more; but I had lost track of what he has been up to.
I would love to hear Emmanuel join a really hot band and make more recordings and live performances; also as a guest on Drumeo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back