Emmanuelle Caplette is Getting Even Better

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
Well, to be honest, this comment to me sounds a bit like you actually don't take her
for serious and are surprised she improves.

I mean, she's a drummer! Like all drummers around the world doing their thing, just
happens that she's a woman.

On the other hand I think she puts herself a bit down kind of, by going the youtube
cover drummer route. A drummer of her league shouldn't really have to do that IMO.

Filacterua

I wonder what could be going on that a player that's this good won't score a better gig than playing covers on YT or that cheesy pop singer she plays for (UGH!)...

She's superb.

Big Foot

Silver Member
I wonder what could be going on that a player that's this good won't score a better gig than playing covers on YT or that cheesy pop singer she plays for (UGH!)...
I might get in trouble for saying this but, it's were she lives. She's a french speaking Montrealer and the french here in Quebec have kind of segregated themselves. I see her on french TV every once and awhile. The music scene in Quebec (Montreal) is pretty good but there is a definite divide between the french and "not french". This isn't a personal attack on her or the french, it's just my opinion on what I see. You have to be working in English if you want to make it beyond the Quebec border.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member

She's superb.
Lol. I think that's just the Euro pop scene. Marco Minneman plays with some shockers on his dvd too, hope I'm not offending anyone.

I love this chick, she plays really nicely and she makes an effort to look really positive and relaxed.

Anon La Ply

Renegade
YT is full of drummers who are so good that they make me feel like I'm not even a drummer. Amazing calm and control.

At least one of you guys (not mentioning names, Poc...) would have been looking at her with x-ray eyes but personally I'd like to know where she got her top. Def my kind of outfit.

Benefits of being a YT drummer: you play the music you want to with total artistic freedom, no lugging, no driving or parking, no band members being pushy or erratic, no bar managers, no obnoxious drunks, play when you feel it rather than being stuck to a strict time (no matter how sick you are), you get multiple takes until you get it the way you want it ...

Cons of being a YT drummer - you miss out on a few bucks, and you miss out on being able to entertain appreciative drunks, and networking and possible pickup/flirting opportunities.

Nickropolis

Big fish, small pond. Why get lost in a sea of sharks when you can swim around youtube and prey on schools of stupid minnows.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Big fish, small pond. Why get lost in a sea of sharks when you can swim around youtube and prey on schools of stupid minnows.
I will admit, yes, there are amazing YouTube drummers, but I never hear them on a hit song, or doing a big tour, either solo or with a big artist. I suppose in this day and age, doing anything to get your name out there is a good thing. In a way, it's kinda' like the "15 minutes of fame" thing; we'll all get our time as famous people on YouTube ;). But I get the "legitimacy" querie about all of these drummers, even Ms. Caplette. But to me it's all good. And I don't think Ms. Caplette is meaning to stay in her pond and not take on the bigger artists. I think it'll come in time.

Kinda' reminds me of a tv commercial where a rock band is getting the good news from their manager that they're HUGE........in Antwerp. When one of the band members asks about being big in America, he tells them that "They're not ready for you", and everyone is happy ;)

Bruce M. Thomson

Gold Member
Well, to be honest, this comment to me sounds a bit like you actually don't take her
for serious and are surprised she improves.

I mean, she's a drummer! Like all drummers around the world doing their thing, just
happens that she's a woman.

On the other hand I think she puts herself a bit down kind of, by going the youtube
cover drummer route. A drummer of her league shouldn't really have to do that IMO.
The key word is Even better, I am a fan and there is no intent of gender bias, I was one of the first on this site to post her video's. So you have misconstrued my intent.

Last edited:

Bruce M. Thomson

Gold Member

She's superb.
She has played The Montreal Drum Festival and I believe She will be branching out.

Last edited:

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
On the other hand I think she puts herself a bit down kind of, by going the youtube cover drummer route. A drummer of her league shouldn't really have to do that IMO.
Perhaps, yes, but I don't think EC is putting herself down, when you consider the amount of views she gets on her YT vids, it's obvious they're popular, and she's regularly featured on this forum with some links and generally with good comments on her playing, a remarkable achievement on the most popular drum website/forum on the planet.

EC is also touring professionally, doing drum clinics around the world and she's endorsed by good manufacturers, I'd say she's doing fine and the YT vids are always well done, well played and she use her "own" band to do the covers.

But she really neglects her left foot.
I happily wouldn't mind to have a neglected left foot if I could play like her DMC :)

You're a very naughty boy ;)
Indeed...

YT is full of drummers who are so good that they make me feel like I'm not even a drummer. Amazing calm and control.
Tell me about it... but it's also a source of inspiration... calm and control can be used in our humble drumming world, sometimes when you heard and seen a drummer on YT and go straight away to play the kit, the spur of the moment inspiration can be really effective.

I discovered Emmanuelle Caplette around 2008 with this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U52ezW-E5p8&feature=relmfu, and I've been following her YT channel regularly since, she's a very good drummer ... but I couldn't care less where she's got that smoke sunburst top ... and it wouldn't fit me anyway :)

Last edited:

Bruce M. Thomson

Gold Member
I will admit, yes, there are amazing YouTube drummers, but I never hear them on a hit song, or doing a big tour, either solo or with a big artist. I suppose in this day and age, doing anything to get your name out there is a good thing. In a way, it's kinda' like the "15 minutes of fame" thing; we'll all get our time as famous people on YouTube ;). But I get the "legitimacy" querie about all of these drummers, even Ms. Caplette. But to me it's all good. And I don't think Ms. Caplette is meaning to stay in her pond and not take on the bigger artists. I think it'll come in time.

Kinda' reminds me of a tv commercial where a rock band is getting the good news from their manager that they're HUGE........in Antwerp. When one of the band members asks about being big in America, he tells them that "They're not ready for you", and everyone is happy ;)
True enough: A band (SAGA) from the 80's and 90's here in Toronto would play fairly small venues, bars mostly and get some exposer but they are HUGE in Germany, big concert venues etc.
As a former Montrealer I can tell you that it is a great city to play music in and very cosy, especially for jazz.. I bet there are plenty of New Yorkers who are working and happy to stay there.

Bruce M. Thomson

Gold Member
Perhaps, yes, but I don't think EC is putting herself down, when you consider the amount of views she gets on her YT vids, it's obvious they're popular, and she's regularly featured on this forum with some links and generally with good comments on her playing, a remarkable achievement on the most popular drum website/forum on the planet.

EC is also touring professionally, doing drum clinics around the world and she's endorsed by good manufacturers, I'd say she's doing fine and the YT vids are always well done, well played and she use her "own" band to do the covers.

I happily wouldn't mind to have a neglected left foot if I could play like her DMC :)

Indeed...

Tell me about it... but it's also a source of inspiration... calm and control can be used in our humble drumming world, sometimes when you heard and seen a drummer on YT and go straight away to play the kit, the spur of the moment inspiration can be really effective.

I discovered Emmanuelle Caplette around 2008 with this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U52ezW-E5p8&feature=relmfu, and I've been following her YT channel regularly since, she's a very good drummer ... but I couldn't care less where she's got that smoke sunburst top ... and it wouldn't fit me anyway :)
Well said; She is also considered by SONOR and SABIAN as one of their key endorser's