Elise Trouw

Macarina

Silver Member
While we are having a little bit of snow here in St. Louis at the moment, I'm catching up on a lot of music videos. Love discovering new stuff.

Elise Trouw

She first caught my attention with her video's where she incorporates looping. She picks up just about every kind of musical instrument all tracking her seamlessly in one room.
Then her voice.

I'm just mesmerized by what I'm watching. I'm definitely digging the songs. I am partial to songs that layer the instruments like many of them here.
But the reason I'm posting on drummerworld, is check out her percussion talents and how she incorporates them into the song musically. Incredibly impressive.
Though most of the drumming visuals are brief, it's impressive.

Burn
about 2:25

Foo Fighters Meets 70's Bobby Caldwell
about 3:20

Radiohead meets Police

Sometimes I see people using loops. . .and I, at first think, that's cheating. They're not playing all of that music. Yet, they are! I'm impressed with a lot of youtubers these days. Some of these young people are WAY beyond how I thought of "making music" at their age.

So if she was in a band and they decided they didn't want her in their band anymore, I guess they'd drop Trouw.

Well, my media player has temporarily become inoperative (or so it says), so looks like it'll be a while before I can hear the loops. All I can see is pictures. But, I'm telling 'ya, that ain't all bad, because Ilise is veeeery easy on the eyes!

GeeDeeEmm

Saw her live recently, as she was the opening act for Incubus. Very talented! I’ve been following her for a few years now.

I'm surprised she opened for a band that "big". Did she play a lot of originals or no? More covers? Honestly, I had never heard of her until last week.

I saw her at NAMM with her handler. I think she was expecting people to come up to her and fawn or something.
I mean, I wouldn't turn down being her handler.

20 years old. I would say she has a future. One day she'll play with a few musicians and screw things up. For now, she sounds good, looks good, and her payroll is very small.

IMHO i think she's incredibly overrated ,,, looking pretty don't account for anything in my book.
Who's rating are you going by? Even if I hadn't seen anything and someone showed me the audio I'd not assume anyone was overrating it. She's a better musician than the majority of what we see posted here so who is it that's rating her higher/lower just because she looks good doing it?

Last edited:
While we are having a little bit of snow here in St. Louis at the moment, I'm catching up on a lot of music videos. Love discovering new stuff.

Elise Trouw

She first caught my attention with her video's where she incorporates looping. She picks up just about every kind of musical instrument all tracking her seamlessly in one room.
Then her voice.

I'm just mesmerized by what I'm watching. I'm definitely digging the songs. I am partial to songs that layer the instruments like many of them here.
But the reason I'm posting on drummerworld, is check out her percussion talents and how she incorporates them into the song musically. Incredibly impressive.
Though most of the drumming visuals are brief, it's impressive.

Burn
about 2:25

Foo Fighters Meets 70's Bobby Caldwell
about 3:20

Radiohead meets Police

She's not my favourite drummer, I'm not too crazy over her drumming... but I do think she is very good and has a true musical talent in her ability to put music together, and in doing so - playing all of the instruments for it! Her voice is so complimentary and just finishes it all off nicely. I'm liking what she's putting out at the moment.

I think this is only the beginning for her!

Who's rating are you going by? Even if I hadn't seen anything and someone showed me the audio I'd not assume anyone was overrating it. She's a better musician than the majority of what we see posted here so who is it that's rating her higher/lower just because she looks good doing it?

Well for starters a lot of people here think shes very talented, no ? and judging by the comments and number of hits on her youtube videos, many people think shes great.

I'll reiterate IMHO i think shes way over-rated , i don't like her drumming, musical choices and can't stand the way she sings and feel as an artist she has little to say. That just me though, there's room for everybody's opinion.

Best of luck to her all the same.

PS, having said all that, its nice to see a song end with a drum solo for a change :)

I question how live those videos are, her voice sounds very tightly close miced, yet she pulls back quite a bit from the mic ?,,, amazing mic that if it is 100% live,, i may be wrong but suspect some trickery going on.

Last edited:
I question how live those videos are, her voice sounds very tightly close miced, yet she pulls back quite a bit from the mic ?,,, amazing mic that if it is 100% live,, i may be wrong but suspect some trickery going on.

In her deference, she does regularly perform all of her material live at concerts.

Well for starters a lot of people here think shes very talented, no ? and judging by the comments and number of hits on her youtube videos, many people think shes great.

I'll reiterate IMHO i think shes way over-rated , i don't like her drumming, musical choices and can't stand the way she sings and feel as an artist she has little to say. That just me though, there's room for everybody's opinion.
I get why people think she's overrated within regards to drumming but to shed more light on it for you; I think people rate her so highly due to her musicianship and musical abilities in its entirety. she's not just a drummer, she's a multi-instrumentalist who also writes and puts music together. I think these sorts of artists are quite rare.

if someone doesn't particularly likes 'the way she sings' ' musical choices' I think that is really more of a question of an individuals personal taste rather than a rate of her as a musician - she's highly rated as a musician.

Last edited:
Back