Electronic drums with low volume cymbols

Dougle410

Hi I'm looking into replacing my drum kit which Is a cheap beginners set I bought years ago to start out/ practice. I'm having issues with it due to age and I'm looking Into upgrading it to a new kit. I get to play an acoustics kit every now and then and really enjoy the feedback and feel of accoustic cymbols.

I'm toying with the idea of getting another electric kit (due to space constants and volumn control) but also getting a set of low volume cymbols (for the feel of them).

Question - has anyone else done this successfully? And what's the best way of micing up the cymbols and feading them into the drum module?

beatdat

I know this is the electronic drums sub-forum, but the thread title happened to catch my eye.

If you're looking to buy, have you considered an acoustic kit with silent heads and low volume cymbals? You can add pick-ups to both the drums and the cymbals if you want, but even without them you'll have decent enough tone and volume to at least practice. Plus, you can always swap out the heads and cymbals for the real thing. Either way, I like the idea of electronic drums and low volume cymbals.

But if you have space constraints, then how are you planning to mount the low volume cymbals? I've only seen them and used them myself on real cymbal stands, and those take up space (not to mention the cymbals, of course). Once you factor in a hi-hat stand and a couple of cymbals stands, I don't think you'll be saving much space by using electronic drums.

Hazy

Can anyone tell me if the fame dd one xt professional e drum kit or similar models are any good.im thinking of buying and would really appreciate some feedback from anyone who has some experience with this make as I have never heard of it before but for the money the spec sounds good (maybe to good to be true)

Brandtwi

I've been satisfied using low volume cymbals without miking them. They are low enough when I play low & loud enough when I play louder without miking them. I just set them up and play.

Hi, just joined this forum. Glad to be here.

I've been using a converted A-kit for years with different modules and Gen 16's.
I find the Gen 16's feel is pretty good and probably exactly the same as the L80's or other competitor versions. They're quiet but not silent for sure. They're louder than the Rubber pads on my old TD-12.
In live situations, I'll use some amplification but not a lot (depending on the room size).
All the heads on the kit are Ballistech 3. from Billy Blast. I like their durability and the feel is pretty good. Definitely quiet enough for an apartment situation.
Right now I'm using Roland RT external triggers. They work pretty well though there's no positional sensing. I suppose it's a decent trade off to get the overall volume control and not pay insane $$$ for a fully electronic kit. That's definitely my next upgrade, putting internal triggers in the shells.
If the old cheap kit isn't falling apart and you're not too pushed for space, I'd convert it.

My gigging rig.
E-kit 2.jpg

iCe

Gaffa pizeos to them ;)

Or pop to stealthdrums.com and he'll sell you a box.
I converted my Zildjian L80 cymbals to electronic cymbals via the stealthdrums.com conversion. Even shipping overseas is no problem for him.
Any low volume cymbal will work for that and since it muffles the cymbals as well don't bother getting expensive ones (also because of the tape it's more or less a permanent conversion since i can't get them of anymore without damaging the triggers).
They work like a charm and also the cymbal choke function works great!

Depending on how much noise reduction you want, but if it's about practicing a set of Remo Silent Strokes and low volume cymbals is far superior to an electric set or conversion to one. To me feels and sounds more natural then the triggered sounds. And also because I've had lag issues and after fiddeling around for weeks i just gave up.