Electric hi-hat fault.

Mr_Runner

Hi I have a fault with an electric hi-hat pad.

The bow surface on the hi-hat rarely makes any sound, most of the time I'm just getting the sound of a stick hitting a rubber surface I think. This includes it not lighting up (and therefore not registering I think) on the module button lights and also turning up the pad sensitivity to maximum. The pedal here when opening and closing seems quiet too. Both of these improve when pushing the jack in a bit (even though it's already been fully pushed in just previously) but not for very long as the jack maybe coming out slightly due to the cymbal pad being hit? This seems like a possible connection problem perhaps inside the pad. The sound seems ok when hitting the edge and the pedal seems ok with it when opening and closing with this I think.

Anyway I opened up the pad and checked it out and found that one of the wires going from the pcb to the piezo looks like it's been pinched between the pcb and a plastic support leg that's supporting the pcb. The wire looks very 'flat' where it's been trapped and possibly crushed a little. I was thinking of possibly trying to replace this wire to see if that could fix the problem. I know it's no guarantee and that the wire although crushed a little may actually be still providing its function.

If this didn't work one thing that did get me thinking was the piezo itself. Two wires, a red one and a blue one are coming from the piezo - the red one from the central ceramic part I think and the blue one from the metallic rim around the edge. They seem to have been fixed here by a brown type glue or adhesive although I'm not sure what that is or if other things can be used to provide the same function? The other ends have been soldered to the pcb but are also covered again in a type of glue or adhesive but more transparent in appearance. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with them being next to the jack part as the glue is touching the corner of it. I'm not sure the reason for this glue - all of the connections have been soldered so maybe extra protection? This could also apply to the other ends on the piezo with the brown adhesive I think although the solder connections aren't as obvious but are probably still there. I've heard the ceramic can disintegrate on the piezo but I'm not sure here and what effect that would have?

This hi-hat pad is a single zone apparently including the bow and rim although my crash and ride are 2 zone because they can be choked as well? My hi-hat can't be choked. I did some searching on the piezo and was wondering if the two wires provided the bow and rim function? One for the bow and one for the rim? I'm not sure about that from what I've seen so far although I saw that more than one piezo can be used on some cymbals perhaps although I'm not completely sure why. Perhaps additional functionalities?

Anything would be greatly appreciated.

1.jpg

Last edited:

electrodrummer

All that and you didn't say what it was (not Yammy or Roly!). ;)

"I've heard the ceramic can disintegrate on the piezo" Yeah - after 20 years. And it's a massive 50p to replace them.

The glue stuff is just there to stop the the soldered ends coming off the piezo / board.

Mr_Runner

All that and you didn't say what it was (not Yammy or Roly!). ;)

"I've heard the ceramic can disintegrate on the piezo" Yeah - after 20 years. And it's a massive 50p to replace them.

The glue stuff is just there to stop the the soldered ends coming off the piezo / board.
All that and you didn't say what it was (not Yammy or Roly!). - KAT.

I've just checked out the link from Macarina and the glue looks indeed to be quite an important part from just skimming through it.

Mr_Runner

You might want to read through my hi-hat issue and fix.
In a nutshell... wiring and the silicon glue

Roland V-12 Hi Hat Issue
I've just very briefly checked out the link - thank you and the glue looks indeed to be quite an important part from just skimming through it although this link 'Helishock provided pretty clear steps I would be facing. I followed them to a T.' didn't seem to be around anymore 'http://%C2%A0https://www.vdrums.com/forum/advanced/technical/54873-fix-your-misfiring-vh-12' but I'm hoping replacing the one possibly damaged wire may work or at least the first thing to try which I was partly thinking at first. I think it's important to use a 'glue gun' on top of the soldered connections to hold them in place. Is it just 'normal' or 'average' glue?

Macarina

Silver Member
Regular hot glue gun. No or little shrinkage
IMO, there is a lot of movement and stress going on in there and the glue or silicon is holding the joints solid in place.

Last edited:

Mr_Runner

Regular hot glue gun. No or little shrinkage
IMO, there is a lot of movement and stress going on in there and the glue or silicon is holding the joints solid in place.
Cool ok some of that is partly what I kind of suspected. I'll hopefully post here in terms of any successes / failures either way that I'll hopefully find out and thank you once again, it's genuinely and greatly appreciated.