Efficient practice tips?

mata

Hopefully I'm posting this in the right section. After a long period of substance abuse, incarceration and downright procrastination after bereavement I have fallen back in love with the drums again.

However, in my new found routine I am trying to structure out my practice time.

Currently I am practicing exercises from pat petrillos excellent book and rudiments to a metrenome.

I pick one exercise / rudiment per day and do 4 x 30 minute sessions, with small rests within each session. I use pats practice pad for this, and also focus on good form / posture with a mirror in front of me.
I plan to repeat this in a cycle for about 6 months.

I also record myself playing to drumless tracks; Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Adele etc for about 2 hours a day, trying to put into practice my new knowledge.
The rest of my time is spent producing or mixing music via bandlab. And sleeping.

I just wonder if anyone can add anything of use that I haven't thought of? I live on a small island and the only drum teacher is my old tutor who played for sting, though I may reach out to him for advice too.

I am not trying to be a professional drummer, but rather get semi decent at playing. I will probably be studying audio engineering/production at uni in the future instead, so being able to play a bit would be useful.

Cheers all ✌️

I think you got it all covered for now, keep going!
I'm also curious about your drum teacher (that played with sting) but I understand if you don't want to share his name for privacy reasons

mrmike

Silver Member
Man this thread could go on forever lol. Here's how Chick Corea approaches practicing. I got his art of the trio course and a common theme for him is something he calls gradients. Basically it's about not taking on too much and practice something within your reach to give yourself a positive every time you practice.

SomeBadDrummer

Welcome back @toddy! You have Platinum member cred, glad you made it back from the other side and back in the saddle again.

jazzerooty

Learn your basics with a teacher. Play along with records. Learn the simple stuff first. Forget about "shredding," (and you'll stay in one piece). Think drummers like Mel Lewis, Charlie Watts, Levon Helm, Billy Higgins, the easier Steve Gadd. Get solid playing with those records. Learn your basic rudiments in the interest of gaining control, not speed (speed will result when control is mastered). Remember your dynamics. Stay relaxed. Love playing the drums with all your heart. Do it for the love of it. Career, "stardom," money (ha-ha), playing flashy for the chicks, becoming an "internet sensation (gawd!)--none of those will sustain you. It's the pleasure of playing the drums, and pleasing the musicians you're playing for.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
1) Practice in a way that actually relates to the abilities you want to have.

2) Don't be afraid to slow things down. A book could be written on this point alone.

3) General advice is to always practice inside a form. It doesn't have to be a specific tune, but at least within some sort of musical framework that you'll be using your tools in.

4) Adding new stuff takes time and focus, so avoid going on auto pilot too much and doing just the stuff you already know.

5) In line with #4 don't try biting over too much at once. Learn one thing properly and build the next thing on top of that. You can actually work on that new thing all day wether at the kit or not by keeping it in your mind thoughout the day. Within that limitation it's also much easier to be creative and come up with new ideas on how to use it.