Effects Of Sound/Feel using 2ply snare batter Hd ?

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I heard something about this a while back. Apparently, that's the drum upon which Tama modeled its Copeland signature snare. If Copeland was playing an unmarked Pearl while endorsed by Tama, his "of mysterious provenance" description would make perfect sense.
Yeah, that phrase was his way of being respectful to Tama. It's one of the world's worst kept secrets though. He's been forthcoming about what the drum was in interviews over the years.

C.M. Jones

Yeah, that phrase was his way of being respectful to Tama. It's one of the world's worst kept secrets though. He's been forthcoming about what the drum was in interviews over the years.
Wow. Never knew that. He must have been extremely committed to that snare to use it on all five albums, as well as to play it secretly instead of just transitioning to a Tama model. You'd think Tama would have constructed whatever he demanded back then. He was a big-bucks poster boy for them.

In the video for "Every Breath You Take," his snare head has a Tama logo instead of a Remo one, even though he's used Coated Ambassadors on his snare forever. Endorsements are strange animals.

Last edited:

drumnut87

it doesnt feel too bad, the sound is more focused and less ringy than a single ply head. its not too bad though IMO :)

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Wow. Never knew that. He must have been extremely committed to that snare to use it on all five albums, as well as to play it secretly instead of just transitioning to a Tama model. You'd think Tama would have constructed whatever he demanded back then. He was a big-bucks poster boy for them.

In the video for "Every Breath You Take," his snare head has a Tama logo instead of a Remo one, even though he's used Coated Ambassadors on his snare forever. Endorsements are strange animals.
A lot of drummers did (and still do) use a mix of gear, especially snare drums, endorsement or not. I think Tama was smart not to press the issue with him, especially during the height of the Police and I think those little things like logo heads in videos went a long way to meet his side of the bargain. What surprises me is that unlike the premium on Ludwig 402's because of the Bonham connrection you can still buy vintage Pearl Jupiter snares for less than the Copeland signature snare.

C.M. Jones

What surprises me is that unlike the premium on Ludwig 402's because of the Bonham connrection you can still buy vintage Pearl Jupiter snares for less than the Copeland signature snare.
It could be because Copeland used the Pearl Jupiter surreptitiously. Perhaps it's seen as an illegitimate offspring. In a sense, such scandal should make the drum all the more valuable, though that hasn't proven to be the case. It's difficult to dissect what drives the cult of gear collection. Logic isn't always at the center of the movement.

Rock Salad

The Genera has a .007 with a .005 and a thin skinny ring underneath. I am liking the used one i got on a drum. It's warmer than an Emperor but also is softer feeling.

MR20

Other than durability, how would 2ply batter hd effect sound & feel on snare . Overtones ? ,Sensitivity ?,Crack ? ,Thanks
I'm a hard hitter so I played 2 ply heads forever. They sound great, less over tone but mainly for durability. But when Remo came out with Ambassador X heads I switched to them for my snare. They are single ply but are 20% thicker. I love them, sound and feel great for my style of playing.

tfgretsch

I'm a hard hitter so I played 2 ply heads forever. They sound great, less over tone but mainly for durability. But when Remo came out with Ambassador X heads I switched to them for my snare. They are single ply but are 20% thicker. I love them, sound and feel great for my style of playing.
Thanks for the info MR20