Effects For Acoustic Drums

Roscoe Joe

Hi gang, just seeking advice. Some years ago I did a gig where the sound guy thew a cool effect on the snare and it got me thinking, now I'm in a position to experiment. I'm thinking of micing up my kick, with an effects pedal and was wondering what would be a good, inexpensive pedal to add a bit more sustain when needed. I currently play in a situation with no sound guy and my kit is not usually miced. Thanks.

Behringer makes really affordable pedals. They usually run in the $25-$30 range, unless you're looking for a discontinued model. Their Compressor/Sustainer CS400 might be what you want. Or possibly a DC9.

Here's a MRX Dyna Comp being used on a drum track.
Those run around $90.

Thing is .... there's a lot of different ways to get sustain.

My current pedal board has the following pedals .... overdrive, reverb, echo, digital delay, flanger, phase shifter. I run electric and acoustic drums/percussion thru my pedals .... and I use either a Shure SM57 or contact mics for the acoustic instruments.

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Behringer makes really affordable pedals. They usually run in the $25-$30 range, unless you're looking for a discontinued model. Their Compressor/Sustainer CS400 might be what you want. Or possibly a DC9.

Here's a MRX Dyna Comp being used on a drum track.
Those run around $90.

Thing is .... there's a lot of different ways to get sustain.

My current pedal board has the following pedals .... overdrive, reverb, echo, digital delay, flanger, phase shifter. I run electric and acoustic drums/percussion thru my pedals .... and I use either a Shure SM57 or contact mics for the acoustic instruments.
That's a pretty cool setup, I am interested to hear your music, have you got any links?
And how do those manhole covers sound?!?

That's a pretty cool setup, I am interested to hear your music, have you got any links?
And how do those manhole covers sound?!?

Those are called Stackers. From a company called Morfbeats. (that cowbell looking thing is also from them) iPhone video posted is the two stacked together.

You can find 6 songs here, under KDHC. My percussion brother Koorosh Daryaie and myself .... a little project we have. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsKmFY1eKrWtTs5oXUSmkPA

Last edited:
Back