Effect of alcohol on drum practice...?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
"I'd rather die drunk, broke at 34 and have people at a dinner table talk about me than live to be rich and sober at 90 and nobody remembered who I was." - Andrew in Whiplash speaking on Charlie Parker
That's horrible. Is the need for attention so important that we would rather die than go unnoticed?

Look at ME! Look at ME!

No, stop looking at me and find yourself something to do. I'm not here for your entertainment lol.

Al Strange

That's horrible. Is the need for attention so important that we would rather die than go unnoticed?
Shocking isn’t it? Musos are a funny bunch, some of us play because it’s who we are and others like the attention/adoration that comes with it. One thing is for sure; nobody (and I mean nobody) plays “better” on drugs, drinking to excess or any of that other nonsense...🤔

Hewitt2

Shocking isn’t it? Musos are a funny bunch, some of us play because it’s who we are and others like the attention/adoration that comes with it. One thing is for sure; nobody (and I mean nobody) plays “better” on drugs, drinking to excess or any of that other nonsense...🤔
yup even Charlie Parker himself spoke to that countless times in interviews. He would acknowledge he was a a worse musician when loaded.

cbphoto

Gold Member
but if you could play as good as your best drum idol, while drunk, would you become an alcoholic?
Hell no. About three weeks ago, a friend brought over some Balvenie single malt scotch and I had…too much. The next day was wasted. I couldn’t function properly and it was a wasted day of my life I’ll never get back.

Other than being in his twenties, I don’t know how Keith Moon did it.

Hewitt2

Hell no. About three weeks ago, a friend brought over some Balvenie single malt scotch and I had…too much. The next day was wasted. I couldn’t function properly and it was a wasted day of my life I’ll never get back.

Other than being in his twenties, I don’t know how Keith Moon did it.
I’ve read about functioning alcoholics whose naturally defective internal wiring is temporarily improved or balanced out by chemical substances. But this becomes a losing gambit as ever increasing amounts are required to cope which will inevitably result in an overdose or other fatal event.

jimb

The OP question was relating to practise not gigs. But I was always wary of drinking before a show, some did I didnt....in general I'd avoid it. But some days I just wanna blow out to Chick or Jarreau so I'll take a bottle into the practise room and enjoy....try it....its fun....sometimes you gotta let go.

Auspicious

I saw a show once where the drummer drank at least 8 - 10 beers, there were beer bottles everywere on the stage and around the drums. He was a real professional at this.

I remember a couple of broken sticks and ripped drum heads, at the begining of the show. All the show went on without a snare batter head ,lolé

But somewhat there was a trash and people enjoyed the show anyway. I have good memories of that show.

I am pretty sure it was the same drummer as in this video clip bellow. ;)

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
I wonder if there's more "intoxicated music" threads than there are big kit vs small kit threads?

There's no absolute here. People saying any intoxication while you play is a huge detriment are just as wrong as people saying you can only make great music while fully sober. Have a few drinks, or don't, whatever you decide, do not assume your way is the right way for others.

Yamaha Rider

[/QUOTE]
"it introduces the illusion of confidence".
[/QUOTE]

Surely, the illusion of confidence IS confidence?
Isn't letting go of tension, self consciousness and nerves fundamental to playing well?
Most musicians (all?) I know have one drink to help them concentrate - and I wouldn't dream of dating a woman without drinks to help settle nerves and help the conversation.

Yamaha Rider

I wonder if there's more "intoxicated music" threads than there are big kit vs small kit threads?

There's no absolute here. People saying any intoxication while you play is a huge detriment are just as wrong as people saying you can only make great music while fully sober. Have a few drinks, or don't, whatever you decide, do not assume your way is the right way for others.
Yep! Weirdly Saudi fundamentalist dichotomy at work here:you can be either sober or wildly intoxicated. That's not most people I know. Or me.

P

Peedy

Welllllll. Being a way better student of music than I am a drummer, reading that immediately made me think of all the drug use associated with music in the mid to late 1960s. Pretty much everybody to some extent, though we know that (for instance) Jimi Hendrix experimented A LOT in concert to widely varying results.

But then there was Santana at Woodstock. They dropped A BUNCH of acid (probably mescaline) with Jerry Garcia backstage thinking they weren’t Going on for 12-14 hours when it would be worn off. Instead, They were told an hour into it that they had to go on.

They were ALL tripping balls when they played THIS!

Edit - now that I’ve watched it carefully, it kinda looks like EVERYBODY there was tripping balls. The blonde girl (glasses) starting about 5:45 stands out.

Edit II - WARNING - there's a naked guy (his backside) dancing with a sheep at about 7:45.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Peedy

Couple of more things. Re:Santana - they’d been dropping acid together and jamming in San Francisco since 1966, so they did have a lot of experience dropping acid and playing under it’s influence.

I don’t advocate drug use outside of a doctors care, so your results may vary.

Re: Me. I had hip surgery in March right before the lockdown and got home with Dilaudid as prescribed. Best drum work I ever did soooooo.

Edit - God forbid, but if any of you DO go on a bad acid trip, just take some advice that was given to me by President Carter when I was a kid.

My phone call is from about 2:00-3:30. Wow, it seems like yesterday.

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:

Trommelmonsterbvb

My personal "sweet spot" if I may call it that, lays somewhere betwenn 2-4 Beers during Band Practice (I dont drink Solo). In that range it has the intended effect, lower inabition, higher confidence, elevated mood. I find it improves my playing, since it becomes more feel based, and I dont overthink as much. After that threshhold it goes Downhill real quick though.
Only other Thing I ever tried was weed, but it just doesnt work for me, in Terms of Music.

mikyok

Platinum Member
I've played with plenty of musicians that have driven me to drink but I've never practiced after/during a few beers, completely defeats the object.

If you're playing a long gig aka 2 x1 hour sets a pint at the end of each set is needed.

Word of warning though, be wary of having one before if you play corporate or wedding venues. Nothing to do with getting rat arsed but that pint has been sat in the lines for days if they haven't cleaned them and it tastes like shit! So be wary if you get offered a beer when you arrive!

bearblastbeats

One beer during a rehearsal, or one beer before a gig. No "drinks" like whiskey, etc. Any more than that my time and such suffers and I stop having fun. Just one for loosening the nerves is perfect.
I dont mind light drinking during practice. During show time, and depending on the band an environment, I'll have a stage beer or two. If its a 4 hour night then it'll be one per set.

My dad used to drink so much he invented the endless roll. I dont think I need to elaborate. 😄 his band at the time as called Lush.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member

Look at ME! Look at ME!

No, stop looking at me and find yourself something to do. I'm not here for your entertainment lol.
If you want people to notice you, and remember you, learn to play drums better, not die early. How silly. And if you really need to be noticed, work on your personality.