Effect of alcohol on drum practice...?

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
i wish John Bonham had quit drinking and that Jeff Porcaro had called an exterminator. I don’t drink much now but I don’t see anything wrong with performance enhancing substances-which I should qualify the substance doesn’t increase your performance just you thinking so

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

i wish John Bonham had quit drinking and that Jeff Porcaro had called an exterminator. I don’t drink much now but I don’t see anything wrong with performance enhancing substances-which I should qualify the substance doesn’t increase your performance just you thinking so
this....on so many levels

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
In my opinion, alcohol will not enhance your practice or your playing live. I think there should be enough data on alcohol in the 21st century to prove that out.

Peedy

Hmmm. For some unknown reason all I can think of is Johnny Fever on WKRP.

I knew a seasoned pro who was an Introvert offstage. He benefitted from a couple of belts (NOT legally intoxicated). Never saw that in anybody else.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Hmmm. For some unknown reason all I can think of is Johnny Fever on WKRP.

I knew a seasoned pro who was an Introvert offstage. He benefitted from a couple of belts (NOT legally intoxicated). Never saw that in anybody else.
I know an EXTREMELY gifted actor who needs a couple of drinks to perform well. He is ALSO an introvert.

johnwesley

Silver Member
Shocked he lived THAT long. He beat the cliche age by 5 years. And he did bring us Scot Halpin.

I was at that concert center stage 10 feet back and tried like crazy to get up there and play with the Who but Scott was first in line. He like I would have, had a difficult time at first since the Who decided to play a new song "Naked Eye" which was NOT very drum friendly. Daltrey gave him a tour jacket when the show ended.

Peedy

I was at that concert center stage 10 feet back and tried like crazy to get up there and play with the Who but Scott was first in line. He like I would have, had a difficult time at first since the Who decided to play a new song "Naked Eye" which was NOT very drum friendly. Daltrey gave him a tour jacket when the show ended.
Very cool story. Long been a Who and Keith Moon fan. He’s a big part of the reason I own Premier drums. But even he knew his self-destructive streak would greatly shorten his life.

johnwesley

Silver Member
Very cool story. Long been a Who and Keith Moon fan. He’s a big part of the reason I own Premier drums. But even he knew his self-destructive streak would greatly shorten his life.
Just one of hundreds of stories I have. Yeah Keith knew he had a problem. Personally I think he wanted sobriety but was afraid it would change him too dramatically and ruin his legacy of lunacy. He spent his life over the top, being not just the life of the party but BEING the party and to then become just another guy AT the party, especially when everyone expected the maniacal Moon, just wouldn't work. I spent time with him one on one and can tell you he was a very kind,person. Oh well.

crash

While I read the posts for this topic, I began to wonder how many works of art have been created when the artist, author, etc. have been drinking? In general, I don't drink and play. But that's just me.

Peedy

Just imagine how badly someone would play if they didn't take their Beta Blocker or Insulin or Coumadin or etc etc etc. Performance enhancing drugs all.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Just imagine how badly someone would play if they didn't take their Beta Blocker or Insulin or Coumadin or etc etc etc. Performance enhancing drugs all.
eh...not really. Those are survival drugs.

My insulin keeps me alive. Pot, alcohol, cocaine, PCP, meth, heroin, etc. are not needed to survive. They are "luxury" drugs...I don't really know what kind of luxury they bring, but they are not necessary for survival.

eh...not really. Those are survival drugs.

My insulin keeps me alive. Pot, alcohol, cocaine, PCP, meth, heroin, etc. are not needed to survive. They are "luxury" drugs...I don't really know what kind of luxury they bring, but they are not necessary for survival.
Right 👍🏻. Drugs for medical conditions don’t enhance but rather bring you to normal baseline . My insulin when I needed it ( not anymore) didn’t enhance me but made me function as I should . I guess that’s an enhancement over what you’d be without them but then without them your body’s not functioning normally. ( underperforming) . Not that the non medical drugs or alcohol enhances you either 😉