Educational threads vs. opinions, etc…

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
Man, that is a very big jump. I don't think dude presented himself as an expert whatsoever. Seemed to me he was told something that helped him a lot and thought he'd pass it along.
???What??? He certainly put himself on a pedestal and claimed if we didn't understand his advice and we wanted some sort of demonstration and clarification to help us then we just don't work as hard as he does at it and therefore we'll never understand because we're beneath him. Read that thread and his degrading comments and how he positioned himself. My gosh yes he made himself out to be an expert.

JimmyM

Platinum Member
???What??? He certainly put himself on a pedestal and claimed if we didn't understand his advice and we wanted some sort of demonstration and clarification to help us then we just don't work as hard as he does at it and therefore we'll never understand because we're beneath him. Read that thread and his degrading comments and how he positioned himself. My gosh yes he made himself out to be an expert.
I apparently missed a lot of that thread and didn’t realize it till I reread the whole thing. But yeah, you were right. On the other hand, it turned out to be Marcus Gilmore, who is about as expert as it gets. So swing your damn quarters and quit arguing ;)

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
I apparently missed a lot of that thread and didn’t realize it till I reread the whole thing. But yeah, you were right. On the other hand, it turned out to be Marcus Gilmore, who is about as expert as it gets. So swing your damn quarters and quit arguing ;)
I know one of mods indicated it is, but others looked at his prior threads and posts and thought not.

someguy01

Platinum Member
Does it matter? It's great advice, and it's not like it originated with him.
It only matters in that the OP presented himself as Marcus Gilmore* and used that as the basis for the sage advice. At the very least, the OP has made no attempts to verify their identity thus letting the current assumption stand.

*I have zero reason to believe the OP is actually Marcus Gilmore as there is a great deal of evidence that the OP is in fact, not Marcus Gilmore

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
It only matters in that the OP presented himself as Marcus Gilmore* and used that as the basis for the sage advice. At the very least, the OP has made no attempts to verify their identity thus letting the current assumption stand.

*I have zero reason to believe the OP is actually Marcus Gilmore as there is a great deal of evidence that the OP is in fact, not Marcus Gilmore
And whether or not it is, we shall never see said poster again I'm sure. If it is Marcus Gilmore, surely he wont be back because of the flack. If it isnt Marcus Gilmore, again he won't be back because that would involve being outed as a liar.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
And whether or not it is, we shall never see said poster again I'm sure. If it is Marcus Gilmore, surely he wont be back because of the flack. If it isnt Marcus Gilmore, again he won't be back because that would involve being outed as a liar.

I am hoping that Marcus Gilmore would not have the air of aloofness and the smidge of snobbery that the OP had in his interaction about the topic when us amateurs asked for more elaboration...that is why I would like to believe that it was NOT him.

I have met MANY legendary players in my 52 years - Elvin; Max Roach; Steve Smith to name a few...and NONE of them ever talked down to me, or made me feel like my questioning of a topic we were discussing was not worth their time clarifying (in the alotted time given). I would like to think that the true Marcus Gilmore would appreciate and understand his status as an upper level player - like those guys - and would not have answered in such a way as the OP did...

that would be the biggest disappointment to me