Eddie Van Halen Dies

He'd been battling the disease for twenty years. He traced it to his custom of holding metal guitar picks in his mouth.

I think he was definitely a chain smoker and his drinking was, well, notorious. Drugs too. Still, sad news.

My condolences to family and friends and another sad day in music. Time waits for no one.

Yes, star-crossed in pleasure, the stream flows on by
Yes, as we're sated in leisure, we watch it fly, yes
And time waits for no one, and it won't wait for me
Time can tear down a building or destroy a woman's face
Hours are like diamonds, don't let them waste
Time waits for no one, no favors has he
Time waits for no one, and he won't wait for me
Men, they build towers to their passing
Yes, to their fame everlasting
Here he comes, chopping and reaping
Hear him laugh at their cheating
And time waits for no man, and it won't wait for me
Yes, time waits for no one, and it won't wait for thee
Drink in your summer, gather your corn
The dreams of the nighttime will vanish by dawn
No, no, no, not for me, no, not for me”

Damn this one cuts.
I still have my Spring of ‘03 AMS catalog with EVH on the cover for some reason along with a slew of others from years till now...
E6AAD670-25FD-49E7-985C-E6BCB3A67043.jpeg
Such a great musician.

This demo from 1976 is worth a listen. For those more youthful than me, most of this is really high quality for a demo at any level in 1976!

R.I.P. Eddie.

I grew up on the DLR version of Van Halen. Van Halen II "Light Up The Sky" was some of their most raw hardcore stuff. Well at least before Hot for Teacher, Jump, and Panama. Dave's falsetto had a distorted guitar sound that fit with what Eddie was doing. The Sammy Hagar version didn't do it for me.

I never got to see them live in their prime. 2015 at Staples Center in LA with opening act Kool and The Gang, and they still rocked it. I've never seen so many people going bat shit crazy in one place in my life.

RIP Eddie!

Hilarious vocal attempt at "Light Up The Sky" cover:

Ed was an absolute Everest of mountains in the same way Peart was as a drummer. The influence of his was felt from the moment after the 1st album dropped. He changed the rules and ushered in a new era. He was important because of the millions he inspired to pick up a guitar or sticks, like me. Far from perfect as a role model but one cannot deny his passion or his dedication to music. For members of his family, his friends & his fans, he will be missed.

What a musician!

I always felt that he mastered the expression of 'sarcasm' on the guitar.

A tour into his recording studio/guitar world back in the day...

The early days .....

Attachments

• 2 a.jpg
    2 a.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 2 b.jpg
    2 b.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 2 d.jpg
    2 d.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 2 f.jpg
    2 f.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 12
Funded by Gene Simmons, who reportedly still owns the tapes.

Allegedly, they recorded 28 songs in 2 hours. !!!!!!

This demo from 1976 is worth a listen. For those more youthful than me, most of this is really high quality for a demo at any level in 1976!

R.I.P. Eddie.

Funded by Gene Simmons, who reportedly still owns the tapes.

Allegedly, they recorded 28 songs in 2 hours. !!!!!!
What's crazy about that demo is that it had songs and parts that would find their way into their catalog 6 albums into the future! Pretty sure that the Complete Zero collection is actually a collection of the Gene Simmons sessions & 1 or 2 early demos.

Back