Easy survey on Drum brands

Would: Tama, Sonor, Gretsch

Wouldn’t: DDrum, Mapex, Taye

Last edited:
No special rules. You can put the Hello Kitty in the would or wouldn't.
I’m revising my list then.

Would: Gretsch (Renown and up), Sonor (SQ1 and up), Tama (Star Walnut or Maple), Yamaha (TC or RC, unless I needed a beater kit, then SC).

Maybe: Anything else from a major brand, but the least likely would be DW or Pearl

Would Not: Hello Kitty, First Act, CB-700, etc.

Definitely Would Not: SJC

So by this list, I’d be more likely to buy a Hello Kitty kit than an SJC kit.

Would: Premier, anything else is worth a try
Won't: groove, spl

Can't say as I'm that picky, for me it's more about assuaging my frugality. Am I paying for a quality instrument or am I paying for a badge?

Wood: SONOR, Gretsch, Pearl
Wood-nt: Mapex, SJC, Dixon
I’m leaving boutique builders out

Seems DW is the least desired.

List 3 brands you'd consider if you were considering buying a new and 3 brands you wouldn't consider. This is not a flame a brand or flame any others members' opinion. More of a just what you prefer and what you don't. Best form for answers would look like this. Keep it simple. Keep it fun.

Would: 1. Sonor 2. Gretsch 3. Tama

Wouldn't: 1. Pearl 2. Yamaha 3. DW
This seems like a trap, but I’ll play..
Would: tama, slingers, gretch
Wouldn’t: ... can’t think of any

Would: 1. Yamaha 2. Tama 3. Van Kleef
Wouldn't 1. Mapex 2. Premier 3. SJC

And I say this being a current Mapex player. No offense, but some days I love these drums and some days I hate them

Since I've never bought a new set, the correct answer is "None" to both questions. :p
Would: Inde, Stone, Oriollo
Wouldn't: anything that's ridiculously expensive, has black nickel hardware or obnoxious logos (I'm looking at you Mapex and Pork Pie) or stupid slogans - Names can't be "strong", sorry Tama. And "the best reason to play drums" is playing the drums, not that you get to play a Pearl - I wouldn't pick up Tennis just to be able to play a Wilson racket.
[Yes, I'm fun at parties.]

Would: 1. Yamaha 2. Tama 3. Van Kleef
Wouldn't 1. Mapex 2. Premier 3. SJC

And I say this being a current Mapex player. No offense, but some days I love these drums and some days I hate them
I'm kinda shocked at the no to Premier. Inquiring minds want to know: why?

after doing an informal count so far:

Sonor is killing it; Gretsch is right there with Sonor

Pearl and Yamaha are roughly even in likes and dislikes

I think that it is funny that Sonor is on top and DW is on the bottom...and 20 years ago that was completely different

10 years ago Mapex and Ddrum were also closer to the top, and both have NOT received a positive vote in this "poll"

British Drum Co. is the most mentioned "boutique" company...am surprised that it is NOT Noble and Cooley...

This was tough as there are many boutique kits I'd love to have (Varus, Craviotto, Noble & Cooley et al). But if I had to whittle it down to 3 & 3, it would be:

Would: 1. Gretsch 2. Ludwig 3. Outlaw

Wouldn't: 1. Pearl 2. Yamaha 3. DW

Since I've never bought a new set, the correct answer is "None" to both questions. :p

Wouldn't: anything that's ridiculously expensive, has black nickel hardware or obnoxious logos (I'm looking at you Mapex and Pork Pie) or stupid slogans - Names can't be "strong", sorry Tama. And "the best reason to play drums" is playing the drums, not that you get to play a Pearl - I wouldn't pick up Tennis just to be able to play a Wilson racket.
[Yes, I'm fun at parties.]
You're not the only one. ?

I love this answer.
I think as we play & shop long enough, we start to see through the hype that catch many a young player. I can say as a young drummer in 1987 I loved how Tama made a name for itself being a company that made "strong" drums (and many metal players in the 80's put that to the test), but it's not the reason to play them.

I play what sounds good & fits my budget. Once I get that, I don't look back. This is why I still have & play my Gretsch Catalina Clubs. Bought them thinking I'd upgrade in a few years, but found out I didn't need to.
They do all I want.

Would: DW, Sonor, Yamaha
Wouldn't: Ludwig, Gretsch, Remo, Mapex

Would (and have): Mapex, Grestch, Pearl
Would not (and have not): DW, Tama, Yamaha

Right now, all my drums are Mapex. Peace and goodwill

Back