Easy survey on Drum brands

steverok

Silver Member
He was again for a couple years after Premier went down and is now with BDC.

I believe he still lives down here in South Florida where I am. I used to see him at Markee Studio where I used to rehearse with my previous band. I noticed him once, and he gave me a funny look lol. He also owns or owned a rib joint in Broward County called Rock and Roll Ribs.

SharkSandwich

Would: Gretsch, DW, Ludwig

Would not: Pearl, Tama, Mapex

Treverer

I believe he still lives down here in South Florida where I am. I used to see him at Markee Studio where I used to rehearse with my previous band. I noticed him once, and he gave me a funny look lol. He also owns or owned a rib joint in Broward County called Rock and Roll Ribs.
Yes, his main residence is in Florida. He's a senior and loves golfing. I heard that's kinda your vibe over there ;)

cold fusion

Would: Noble and Cooley, GMS, Jenkins Martin

Would not: Pearl, OCDP, Mapex

Last edited:

yammyfan

It would be interesting to read some more of the reasons behind the disqualifications. Obviously it's not always about money since most manufacturers have lines to suit every budget. What else might be going on?

C.M. Jones

It would be interesting to read some more of the reasons behind the disqualifications. Obviously it's not always about money since most manufacturers have lines to suit every budget. What else might be going on?

What we like and dislike is considerably more trivial than we make it out to be. We have positive associations with some brands (for a variety of reasons) and negative associations with others (for a variety of reasons). In most cases, it's as arbitrary as thinking that vanilla is delicious while chocolate is repulsive. I maintain that every reputable manufacturer offers high-quality drums in 2021. Staying in business would otherwise be impossible. If asked to explain why I choose Pearl over other brands, I could weave a lengthy panegyric on what I believe to be the company's countless virtues, but most of it would be utter nonsense. The most honest reply would be, "I play Pearl because I play Pearl." That's a tautological statement, but it explains the vast majority of human behavior.

timmdrum

Silver Member
If asked to explain why I choose Pearl over other brands, I could weave a lengthy panegyric on what I believe to be the company's countless virtues, but most of it would be utter nonsense. The most honest reply would be, "I play Pearl because I play Pearl." That's a tautological statement, but it explains the vast majority of human behavior.
Yeah, sometimes it's a simple as "_______ is as good as other comparable companies, but I have a good service / add-on availability / part compatibility / etc. history with them", or "...but I'm more familiar with them, so it feels sorta like 'home'", or something, which is totally valid.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

What we like and dislike is considerably more trivial than we make it out to be. We have positive associations with some brands (for a variety of reasons) and negative associations with others (for a variety of reasons). In most cases, it's as arbitrary as thinking that vanilla is delicious while chocolate is repulsive. I maintain that every reputable manufacturer offers high-quality drums in 2021. Staying in business would otherwise be impossible. If asked to explain why I choose Pearl over other brands, I could weave a lengthy panegyric on what I believe to be the company's countless virtues, but most of it would be utter nonsense. The most honest reply would be, "I play Pearl because I play Pearl." That's a tautological statement, but it explains the vast majority of human behavior.

I feel the same way...

if someone gave me the mid or upper level set from any company, I would be happy. I might sell the Yamaha set and get something else, but I wouldn't say no right away...I just can't find the magic in Yamaha drums...

Darth Vater

Go Ahead....... I've even changed my mind on brands I like since my first post. On my wouldn't buy list I'd say tom mounts, confusing range nomenclature Pearl. The turret lugs, John Good and muddy sound DW. Very uninspiring, sterile sound, ugly finishes, boring website, but they make good outboard motors Yamaha.

New likes list would be : Sonor, British Drum Co, Hendrix

yammyfan

Go Ahead....... I've even changed my mind on brands I like since my first post. On my wouldn't buy list I'd say tom mounts, confusing range nomenclature Pearl. The turret lugs, John Good and muddy sound DW. Very uninspiring, sterile sound, ugly finishes, boring website, but they make good outboard motors Yamaha.

New likes list would be : Sonor, British Drum Co, Hendrix
I'm not a good one to ask. My mind is open to all possibilities.

When I'm an old man it won't be the things in life that I did that will bother me the most, it will be the things that I didn't do.

C.M. Jones

When I'm an old man it won't be the things in life that I did that will bother me the most, it will be the things that I didn't do.

When I'm an old man, I hope to recline in luxury with a glass of Scotch and a pipe, wholly indifferent to what I have and haven't done. A growing body of knowledge persuades me that "Who cares?" is the healthiest perspective.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

When I'm an old man, I hope to recline in luxury with a glass of Scotch and a pipe, wholly indifferent to what I have and haven't done. A growing body of knowledge persuades me that "Who cares?" is the healthiest perspective.

I just hope to leave a wake of positivity to and for those all around me. My personal goals will not have mattered within the picture of the greater good...

Good Karma

I've owned Ludwig, Tama and DW. Played on Pearl a few times. Been happy with all 4 brands.
I cant comment on the other brands, I've never owned or played.