Easy survey on Drum brands

Frank

Gold Member
My son-in-law has my old Pearl Vision kit-it has ISS mounts. I gave it to him when I got my Pearl Decade. Every time I visit him and play it I'm thinking dang this kit sounds fantastic. Maybe I should have kept it. LOL

Many years ago when I was taking a break from drumming and selling my equipment ...

I hadn't played the kit in a while. I put it up for sale, and someone was on the way over. I played the kit and thought - what am I doing, this kit sounds great, and I'm basically giving it away. :) Significant mistake. [I have made many.]

Darth Vater

Would : Gretsch, Tama, Premier of course if they’re still in business.
Wouldn’t : Mapex, Yamaha, Sonor
still i don’t see the point of this survey ?
I don't see the point of putting a company that's not in business in either of your answers so I guess we're even?

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Well I always will fight for the underdog. So from this day forward, I GetAgrippa, hereby resign myself to defend the good name of Pearl drums. I know a few who will help me in my battle against oystersaritisphobia. Now though I'm endorsing them I'll likely be playing SONOR or Gretsch but don't let that cloud the issue. Not every oyster has a pearl but when it does you really got something eh.

someguy01

Premiers FB is still active,as is the website. Not so sure they're out of business just yet. Their marching percussion is going strong.

s1212z

most of the complaints about Pearl have been the hardware....

I would argue because they moved every line to Taiwan or China; even on their most high-end line. And sorry, 'assembled' in Nashville is not the same. I've haven't seen an inspiring idea since the Reference series and doing Gretsch imitations is lame.

I know Taiwan has at least a good drum lineage for crafting and certainly better than China quality. But did Pearl have to sell out even their top line? At least Tama and Yamaha had some sense to keep some lines within Japan.

Ransan

I would argue because they moved every line to Taiwan or China; even on their most high-end line. And sorry, 'assembled' in Nashville is not the same. I've haven't seen an inspiring idea since the Reference series and doing Gretsch imitations is lame.

I know Taiwan has at least a good drum lineage for crafting and certainly better than China quality. But did Pearl have to sell out even their top line? At least Tama and Yamaha had some sense to keep some lines within Japan.
Who argues this point except for the good ol boys? Speaking drums - maybe the MIJ bunch, and those are some shady cats.

According to Pearl’s timeline they established a headquartered plant in Taiwan in 1973 and Nashville later in ‘79, there’s others as well.
(About Pearl.Pearldrum.com)

Though I’m not too deep into manufacturing performance indicators to generalize build qualities distinction to a country -
I guess all I’ve ever known was Thai/Taiwanese Pearl’s.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
I don't see the point of putting a company that's not in business in either of your answers so I guess we're even?
I didn’t mean to be rude, so there’s no point of answering that. Premier business is actually questionable - I live on the other side of the Channel and can’t find any Premier reseller - still as said above, FB and websites are still active. Ordering may - I hope - be possible.
Any stat from this survey will be welcome of course. Et Bonne et Heureuse Année !

force3005

Silver Member
Would: 1.) Slingerland 2.) Sonor 3.) Natal

Wouldn't: 1.) DW 2.) Ludwig 3.) Pearl

Last edited:

jasz

I really like Yamaha, but its unfortunate they stopped caring about being an aggressive competitor in the "high end" department.

Not saying stuff like the Absolute hybrid maple isn't great, but the pricing and lack of finish options makes me wanna puke. And its MIC... lol

Then again, Tama is going the same way.. :(

spelman

Would: Sonor, Noble and Cooley , Kumu

Would not: Inde, C&C, A&F

BonsaiMagpie

They were mentioned by me pretty early on ;)

And for everyone who wants to listen to Premier: Just get any 90s or early 2000s Iron Maiden record.
I didn't realise these were also premier. I thought Nicko was a Sonor man. Wikipedia has just schooled me. I was very wrong about Premier, and though they aren't in my top 3 now they are definitely off my shit list.

Treverer

I didn't realise these were also premier. I thought Nicko was a Sonor man. Wikipedia has just schooled me. I was very wrong about Premier, and though they aren't in my top 3 now they are definitely off my shit list.
He was again for a couple years after Premier went down and is now with BDC.