Easy survey on Drum brands

MntnMan62

Would: Drum Worshop, Gretsch and Yamaha (there are more I would consider but you only asked for three). Also PDP.

Wouldn't: Ddrum, CB Percussion and Pulse. Also Groove Percussion.

TK-421

Shouldn’t there be a stipulation to only include major/mainstream brands that offer at least some “nice” drums? That’s how I took it, because I think it goes without saying that few here would consider a CB-700, a Hello Kitty kit or whatever.

Darth Vater

Shouldn’t there be a stipulation to only include major/mainstream brands that offer at least some “nice” drums? That’s how I took it, because I think it goes without saying that few here would consider a CB-700, a Hello Kitty kit or whatever.
No special rules. You can put the Hello Kitty in the would or wouldn't.

timmdrum

Silver Member
In terms of the most confidence I'd get a sound I'm happy with, trusting quality regardless of price, attractiveness, and not including small custom companies since they come & go faster than I can keep up, and disregarding store/distributor brands and other intentional beginner/stencil brands, in no particular order:

Would: Tama, Ludwig, Gretsch (I feel like Sonor should be in here also but I don't have enough experience with them; I did check out their site recently, and I wasn't drawn to anything, except the SuperDuperPriceyCustom top line option, and I don't have 10 grand)
Wouldn't: DW (those lugs), Mapex (funny since my current git kit is an '06 Mapex Pro-M and my rehearsal kit is '03 Pacific CX), Yamaha (blah finishes), Pearl (L-arm tom mounts bug me)

I think all these companies make great drums, in that, they'd all give me sounds I'd like without much fuss to get there; there's just other stuff that bugs me about those in the Wouldn't list. I'd have a Pearl kit and use some other mounting system. If DW would make those lugs that look like fancy dinner plate covers smaller, they'd move up. Same with Yammie if they'd snazz up the finishes some. Mapex have gotten too kooky with mounts & finishes.

Last edited:

dwsabianguy

Would: Gretsch, Sonor, Canopus

Would Not: Mapex, Yamaha (none of the current lineup do anything for me but I still love my Birch Absolutes), Tama (unless it's a Star series kit)

I guess I'm just trying my hardest to not buy anything from China if I can help it, drums included.

Seafroggys

Silver Member
Are we just sticking with drums? Not cymbals, or hardware? Because, for example, I like DW hardware, but not their drums.

Anyway, sticking with major manufacters:

Would: Sonor, Pearl, Ludwig
Wouldn't: DW, Tama, PDP