Comin' Around Again - by Carly Simon

Drumolator

Platinum Member
All Along the Watchtower
Stormy Monday
Hey Joe

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Kind of depends on your vocal range. Like "Starship Trooper" by Yes...that's kinda high

I have less than a 2 octave range and I can do songs by singers that can't go high. Ronnie Van Sant, Jim Morrison, Muddy Waters, I can even do some but not all of Micky Jagger's stuff. So that limits my song choice.

I have more of a Johnny Cash range.

How's your vocal range Mark?

Last edited:

BruceW

If singing while playing is new to you, best to start with stuff where the drumming isn't too involved. After you get used to doing both at the same time, you'll be able to expand to other stuff. Of course, as others have mentioned, range can be an issue, too. Stuff that I sing, that isn't really involved drumming wise:
Turn The Page
I Can't Drive 55
Drink In My Hand
Cocaine
No Matter What

Likely hundreds of similar songs, that are more straightforward, that you can start to get the hang of singing while playing.

Good luck

No Way Jose

Silver Member
I like "Tequila" by The Ventures. It's only one word, "Tequila!"

But seriously, Creedence Clearwater Revival seems to work well for me.

No Way Jose

Silver Member
I’d love to learn to sing.

Learning to sing is a whole different thing. Sing along with scales on a keyboard. Look up "how to sing" videos on Youtube. Look at singing books in your local library.

The Shepherd

Regular Poster
I've found that when I sing playing ukulele, I do way better with songs that are in G vs. songs in other keys. It just seems to me more natural for me. Do you have a preferred key to sing in?

Drumolator

Platinum Member
I prefer to sing songs in G and D. Some others are OK too. Peace and goodwill.

doggyd69b

Drum Expert
I’d love to learn to sing. What are some great popular cover band songs I could work on? 60s, 70s, 80s.
Any AC/DC, Some Eagles (the drummer was the singer), Billie Jean, Dio's Rainbow in the dark (drumming is easy singing is not) Tom Sawyer (Rush), the actual hard part of that one is Geddy lee's high pitch. Easy Lover (Phil Collins), Panama Van Halen, Nothing Else Matters by Metallica, Any of "The Cars" songs, Whip it by Devo...Everybody Wants To Rule The World by Tears For Fears, The Final Countdown by Europe, Achi Breaky heart by Billy Ray Cirrus (I hate that song but for some reason is popular). Gangsta's Paradise by Coolio (That song actually has some deep lyrics).
I still got the blues for you by Gary Moore, Hey Ya by Outkast.... yes I am all over the place in styles but that is the point.
There are thousands more that I can't think of at this moment but you get the idea, usually the drumming is not very involved (very linear) so the singing takes center stage.