Easy pre-beginner song?

Guttermouth

Hi.

Do any of you guys have any song recommendations for a pre-beginner to learn (where the drum tab is easy to find, as I can't play by ear).

I did try and look this up, and one that came up was - White Stripes '7 Nation Army', but when I looked at it it didn't seem so 'beginnery' to me - like it contained amongst other things 'triplets' (I'm not up to that level yet :-(, that's why I realised I must actually be a pre-beginner'.

Obviously my learning hasn't been very structured. Is there an easier song that I'd be able to try and play all the way through?

Cheers.

NouveauCliche

Hi.

Do any of you guys have any song recommendations for a pre-beginner to learn (where the drum tab is easy to find, as I can't play by ear).

I did try and look this up, and one that came up was - White Stripes '7 Nation Army', but when I looked at it it didn't seem so 'beginnery' to me - like it contained amongst other things 'triplets' (I'm not up to that level yet :-(, that's why I realised I must actually be a pre-beginner'.

Obviously my learning hasn't been very structured. Is there an easier song that I'd be able to try and play all the way through?

Cheers.

Back in Black by AC/DC.
Free Fallin' by Tom Petty
I love Rock'n'Roll - Joan Jett
Last Night - The Strokes

Seems like I used to play a lot of Beatles stuff too when I first starting out. Like all of Meet the Beatles! - but I think some of that is deceptively harder than first listen.

rhumbagirl

Robbie Dupree's "Steal Away" was going to be my next cover. But you can have it.

The offer is good for today only. I've played the song no less than 20 times and it still isn't enough.

Here's the drum fill between the intro and the 1st verse:

Code:
|1...2...3...4...|1...2...3...4...|
|x x x x x x x o |                | HH
|                |    L           | TT1
|    x       x   |  R             | SD
|                |      R L       | TT2
|                |          R L   | FT
|x     x x     x |                | BD

Last edited:

C.M. Jones

Don't be fooled by the illusion of "easy." What might technically be a basic beat can be executed with such exquisite feel and verve that it becomes a showcase made for a masterclass. In reality, nothing is easy behind a drum set.

Try some vintage AC/DC: "Highway to Hell," "Back in Black," and so on. Phil Rudd is a timekeeping professor. You couldn't hope for a better mentor.

C.M. Jones

Back in Black by AC/DC.
Free Fallin' by Tom Petty
I love Rock'n'Roll - Joan Jett
Last Night - The Strokes
I love that "Back in Black" is your first recommendation. I mention it in my post too. Many years ago, after over a year of lessons on a practice pad, "Back in Black" was the first song I ever attempted on a drum set. Great training for beginners and advanced players alike.

NouveauCliche

I love that "Back in Black" is your first recommendation. I mention it in my post too. Many years ago, after over a year of lessons on a practice pad, "Back in Black" was the first song I ever attempted on a drum set. Great training for beginners and advanced players alike.
There's a lot of replay value in it too.

Even after 20 or 30 years of playing - it's still a fun song to sit down and bash out.

Green River by CCR. Same beat the whole way through. When you say you don't play by ear, I would recommend playing along with this song and simply work on making it sound and feel the same or similar to the original. It keeps you in time as well.

I am a beginner level drummer and this song is probably the easiest of those that I am learning from a pure pattern perspective. However the feel that the drummer is able to put into the song with such a simple pattern is a great lesson.

Paul Blood

Don't be fooled by the illusion of "easy." What might technically be a basic beat can be executed with such exquisite feel and verve that it becomes a showcase made for a masterclass. In reality, nothing is easy behind a drum set.

/QUOTE]

So true and it's one of mysterious and elusive things about drumming. Take "Billie Jean" by MJ, for example. The probably the first beat a lot drummers learn: 8th notes on the high hat, 2 and 4 on the snare, one and 3 on the bass drum. So easy, yet it it sounds magical when you here it played by a master.

MrPockets

Gold Member

I think the point of these kind of introductory songs is just being able to play along to a simple groove with other instruments. The 'feel' or 'nuance' of how to hit the drums should not be taken into account yet.

Like the Jack Nicklaus method of teaching golf: let them just hit the ball to start out. Then introduce finesse later.

C.M. Jones

I think the point of these kind of introductory songs is just being able to play along to a simple groove with other instruments. The 'feel' or 'nuance' of how to hit the drums should not be taken into account yet.

Like the Jack Nicklaus method of teaching golf: let them just hit the ball to start out. Then introduce finesse later.
I agree completely. Just providing a heads up to the new drummer. Sounds can be deceiving. Complexity sometimes hides beneath simplicity.

Woolwich

Silver Member
Whoah,

Absolutely no way would I recommend Back In Black to a pre-beginner. I'm also in the camp that recognises that Phil Rudd often throws little land mines into AC/DC songs that would have people better than pre-beginners wondering why they've gone wrong. Yes you can probably bulldoze a 4/4 over the top of their songs but where's the fun in that? Because I don't know music theory I can't write here the reasons why Back In Black is difficult but within a couple of bars there's the deviation from 4/4 with the snare to hi hat filll Da Da, Da Da, Da Da, DA DA. The almost galloping feel feel of the "I'm Back" chorus differs from the verses.There's bits where the drummer hangs off in the outro solo. Can I play it? Yes. But am I far better than a pre-beginner? Yes I'd like to think so.
Likewise I Love Rock n Roll. It wasn't that long ago that there was a thread on here where a member asked for help counting the "...Dance With Me" line at the end of the chorus where the bass drum beat goes form 1-2, to 1-2, 1-2-3. That would absolutely wipe a pre beginner out.

To add a suggestion to the list, Living After Midnight by Judas Priest. Off the top of my head I'm pretty sure it's played very straight and the cymbal hits are placed where you would "expect" them to be,

Last edited:

mikyok

Platinum Member
Early Beatles. Please Please Me to Beatles for Sale era.

Simple songs but so well written and played.

Subconsciously gets you playing for the song.