Easy Book for Drums (or something similar)

tmaclean

I'm trying out for Berklee College of Music next month and I'd like to get more exposure reading drum charts for the sight reading part of the audition. Is there a book or any place I can look that would have a group of songs in notation? It seems like every music store I check out only has rudiment books. Thank you.

-Tom

I'm trying out for Berklee College of Music next month and I'd like to get more exposure reading drum charts for the sight reading part of the audition. Is there a book or any place I can look that would have a group of songs in notation? It seems like every music store I check out only has rudiment books. Thank you.

-Tom

Tommy Igoe's Groove Essentials has a drum chart for all 47 grooves written below the notation. Actually, there are 94 drum charts (one for slow and one for fast versions) in total. Scroll down towards the bottom and you can preview/download some of the drum charts and mp3s. If you do decide to buy it, make sure to get the Book/CD/DVD package as it is the best deal. Amazon has it for $29.

Tommy Igoe's Groove Essentials has a drum chart for all 47 grooves written below the notation. Actually, there are 94 drum charts (one for slow and one for fast versions) in total. Scroll down towards the bottom and you can preview/download some of the drum charts and mp3s. If you do decide to buy it, make sure to get the Book/CD/DVD package as it is the best deal. Amazon has it for $29.

I'm not sure if that's exactly what I'm looking for. I was hoping for popular songs. Something akin to the Real Easy Book but for drums so I could practice more full songs rather than just different grooves. Also, I need to pick a tune to perform at my audition and was hoping to find something in one of the books.

I'm not sure if that's exactly what I'm looking for. I was hoping for popular songs. Something akin to the Real Easy Book but for drums so I could practice more full songs rather than just different grooves. Also, I need to pick a tune to perform at my audition and was hoping to find something in one of the books.

I have an extensive collection of play-along chart/CD packages and should be able to recommend something, but I think we need a bit more information. What style(s) are you planning to play for your audition?

For your audition tune, do you need to supply the music to the accompanists (bassist and pianists) or will you be playing stuff out of the Real Book?

What is your background and level?

Jeff

I have an extensive collection of play-along chart/CD packages and should be able to recommend something, but I think we need a bit more information. What style(s) are you planning to play for your audition?

For your audition tune, do you need to supply the music to the accompanists (bassist and pianists) or will you be playing stuff out of the Real Book?

What is your background and level?

Jeff

I hadn't picked a style yet, (possibly jazz, funk, or big band) but I was hoping for an intermediate level because reading music isn't my expertise. I've been taking lessons for that. I've been playing for about 10 years so I'm comfortable with most songs. I don't believe I need to supply any music to accompanists, though I should look into that. I'm getting all my information from Berklee's website:

http://www.berklee.edu/admissions/general/drums_and_percussion.html

I already have a 3 minute original piece written, so I only need something else that isn't over 3 minutes for the audition.

I'm familiar with the Berklee audition process - they will most likely throw a chart at you that outlines a simple tune. You can expect odd time sigs, stop-time hits, and stylistic specifics (i.e. type of groove). As long as you can keep your place in the form, lay down a nice feel in the style specified, perform stylistically appropriate fills and catch the hits you'll be fine.

Also, your choice of prepared piece will make an impression. I'm curious what your original piece is...PM me and I'm happy to advise.

Back