easiest quick and dirty multi track recording?

Patz

Hi all. I've been writing songs recently and because I can't play drums and guitar at the same time I need a way to present them to my band with the full effect. I have some riffs and things that won't get the point across without me setting the mood with drums.

I need a quick and dirty way to make a 4-5 track recording. It doesn't have to sound good or be perfectly played. I just need to get multiple instruments together playing in synchronization. I just don't have time or patience to spend making it sound good or learning complicated software. I have Cubase somewhere and it ate my lunch back when I tried it. It was just way more than I was looking for, even when I had tons of free time.

I have a 4 track mackie mixer, a 16 channel yamaha with USB interface, mics, and a laptop, digital recorder, and my galaxy S5. What's the easiest way I can get this stuff laid down? I'm talking like..an hour or two max. Would it just be audacity? Or maybe a simple app on the phone?

KamaK

Platinum Member
If you're just looking to make rough demos to get a concept across, then I would recommend something simple like audacity.

For drums, you can set up a single LDC in TCHAD or two dynamics as kick/overhead. Single mic the guitar and direct-in the bass and overdub on top of the drums. The result should be good enough for everyone else to understand what you are trying to achieve.

New Tricks

Platinum Member
In the olden days we would use two cassette recorders.

Record part 1, play it back and record it on the second recorder along with the second track.

Repeat as many times as you want.

But, Mac's Garage Band is a much better solution :) It's free on a mac, ipad or Iphone and It's way easy to get started.

Patz

In the olden days we would use two cassette recorders.

Record part 1, play it back and record it on the second recorder along with the second track.

Repeat as many times as you want.

But, Mac's Garage Band is a much better solution :) It's free on a mac, ipad or Iphone and It's way easy to get started.
now that's ingenuity..lol. i appreciate the replies. I'll probably go with audacity since i've used it before many moons ago, or maybe try garage band on the ipad.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
You could always just buy a physical 4-track machine. I think they still make em, and it just simply records to old cassette tapes. After you reach 4, you bounce them down to 1, and do 3 more tracks before you do it again!

Patz

You could always just buy a physical 4-track machine. I think they still make em, and it just simply records to old cassette tapes. After you reach 4, you bounce them down to 1, and do 3 more tracks before you do it again!
I just googled that and remembered my dad has one! Sweet!

Bonzo_CR

Silver Member
For another quick and dirty (and very portable) multitrack recorder I like the Boss Micro BR. Barely bigger than an iPod.
Mine is the 4-track (last version) but the current version is an 8-track.
Mix the drums using the mixer onto one track, then record guitar on one track, bass on one track, vocal on one track. Bingo!

Then carry it in your pocket to band practice and play it to them. Shazam!

I did this all the time to make demos until I got my Zoom R24.

moxman

Silver Member
A midi keyboard plugged into a laptop will get you 80% there. Bass, drums, keys, brass parts can be laid down quickly.. record guitar with a mic on it or with a DI box (clean but loses the amp sounds).Mic the vocals on other tracks. Cubase, Garageband or Sonar etc. support midi and audio recording. I think Audacity only supports audio recording..