Earthworks Mics. Good stuff!!!

Steady Freddy

Pioneer Member
I got interested about a year ago watching videos put out by DCP, Their drums sounds are always great. The mic in the video looked longer than the usual Earthworks mics so I dropped them a line and asked what it was. Turned out to be a bass drum mic that they were uing on the snare, Fast forward to last week and I ordered one, I figured it with eith work great on the sanre of the bass drum, It worked great on both. Then I order another one and two overheads.

Those four mics completely cover the kit and the toms come throught like they are close miced. Cymbals are crisp and it sounds better than when I was close micing every thing, good stuff!!!

mrmike

Silver Member
Carter Mclean gets a great sound with just 2 Earthworks mics. SR25 overhead and a TC20 on the snare. Amazingly no bass drum mic.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

johnjssmith

The TC20 isn't a "snare mic" there, rather it's another "whole drumset" mic.
A snare mic would be used to capture only, or mostly, the snare sound, so a (super/hyper)cardioid mic close to the snare, while the TC20 is an omnidirectional mic, which, among other things doesn't exhibit proximity effect or the lower sensitivity to low frequencies coming from far sources, and is placed pretty much in the middle of the kit as a knee mic, so to speak, picking up a looot of the bass drum sound as well.
You can find a few examples here:

As for the earthworks mic, they're definitely good, but for any application they're good for I'd rather use a similar offering from DPA, which also offers a mic specifically designed for drums, they have a nice video demonstrating it on every piece of a kit on their channel.

Steady Freddy

Pioneer Member
As for the earthworks mic, they're definitely good, but for any application they're good for I'd rather use a similar offering from DPA, which also offers a mic specifically designed for drums, they have a nice video demonstrating it on every piece of a kit on their channel.

Looks like film making gear to me. I'm sure it's high quality but it exceeds my budget astronomically!