Early 80's - Tama vs Pearl

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
I'm a "power tom" guy & love kits in the bigger sizes. I'm clowned a bit on it because fusion sizes are all the rage now. When I say how I don't prefer a kick 20" or below I'm looked at like I have 3 heads.

I'm with you on this in that having a big, boomy kit to bring you back to the days when that's pretty much all there was, is awesome.

Great score on the Pearl. Reminds me of the Export I had in high school in 1988.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I really like vintage ambassadors- I had been running only them for years. Now clear and coated emperors and black dots are my latest interests.

NickSchles

Man, I've actually wanted a Pearl BLX for a long time. They're difficult to come by second hand, at least here in the UK. If any of you's got one for sale in good condition near London, hit me up!

Re your original post, both brands make solid drums which sound great. So, surely you can't go wrong with either! It might just come down to personal preference factors as mentioned above, including the all important finish!

:)

Chris Whitten

BLX were late 80's? I used a BLX in the studio a lot between 1986 and 1988.
Early 80's pretty much anyone of note was playing Yamaha Recording Custom.
Rick and Jerry Marotta, Steve Gadd, Andy Newmark, Larry Mullen jr, dozens of band drummers. They were the DW of their day.

Hewitt2

BLX were late 80's? I used a BLX in the studio a lot between 1986 and 1988.
Early 80's pretty much anyone of note was playing Yamaha Recording Custom.
Rick and Jerry Marotta, Steve Gadd, Andy Newmark, Larry Mullen jr, dozens of band drummers. They were the DW of their day.

BLXs were early 80s I believe. They had some pretty big-name endorsers supporting the line back then, including Phil Collins.

Chris Whitten

I was playing Yamaha Recording Custom until 1986, when I switched to Pearl BLX. The BLX and MLX were their flagship professional lines at that time.

csnow

I believe the MLX and BLX lines were introduced early 80s. The ones I owned for two days :( just had a maple badge with no other designator. I was told mine were 1982. @Chris Whitten I remember drooling over the Recording Customs back in the early 80s. Those were some very expensive drums for their time. I remember them and the Sonor Phonics being the baller kits of that time period.