Early 50's Gretsch Broadkaster Close Mic's

bobdadruma

Platinum Member

Attachments

• 10487809_10202138118326715_845455345_n.jpg
    10487809_10202138118326715_845455345_n.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 426
Last edited:
That sounds great Bob and nice playing too.
It sounds like being transported right back to the 50s.
Judging from your photo it looks like you got hold of a really well maintained set. They look like new.

jorn

Nice, nice. They are indeed warm. I continue to marvel at how old wood really still sings on drum sets. Great playing too. You have such a nice touch on the drums...and so many great kits to play on.

Behind the wonderful sound of these fine drums is the sound of my jealous heart beating. Congrats!

Definitely conjures a 50's vibe. Bob is that a special holder on your mic stand that holds the mics like that?

Thanks all,
to answer your questions the heads are as follows.
G1 coated snare batter
G12 high tom batter
G 14 floor tom batter.
Tom reso's are J1 Etched
EQ4 bass batter and original Gretsch skin in front.

The double mic holder is available on Musicians Friend.

Really nice drums Bob, & well demonstrated too :) Can't help thinking they'd deliver a bit more tuned a touch higher though, especially the floor tom. Mucho applause for honest capture approach. Really lets me hear what's going on!

That is the first time that I have tuned them that low Andy. I have always had them cranked up. They are actually still pretty tight. These drums produce low notes even when they are tuned to medium tensions. These three plies are nothing like my vintage Ludwig or Slingerland drums.
Totally different animals

That is the first time that I have tuned them that low Andy. I have always had them cranked up. They are actually still pretty tight. These drums produce low notes even when they are tuned to medium tensions. These three plies are nothing like my vintage Ludwig or Slingerland drums.
Totally different animals
I get where you're coming from Bob. Less plies per shell thickness typically = lower fundamental, all other things being equal. It wasn't the pitch of your tuning I was referring to though Bob, it was a slight tonally flat vibe I was getting from the floor tom especially. I wasn't hearing the full satisfying tone I know those drums are capable of producing, even with their naturally shorter note. I'm picking here Bob. Both you & the drums sound really good :)

Thanks Zeph, I just bought a mixer so I'm going to experiment and learn some more in the near future. I'm going to do some semi advanced recording with the bands that I play in to help me learn.

Bob:

Beautiful playing, a jazzy touch showing smoothness and subtlety. The drum sound is clean and neat. The right hand feel on the ride is catchy... I tip my hat before you!

Back