Earasers vs. Hearos High Fidelity?

T

TwoCables

This is directed to anyone who has experience with both, not just one or the other. This is important because I'm asking for a comparison between these two types of ear plugs, and of course that requires experience with both.

I've been using Hearos High Fidelity ear plugs for many many years now, but I just read about Earasers today. They're $40 for a pair at most stores, but are they worth it? I mean, everything that I've read about the Earasers make me say, "Um, but that's what I love about the Hearos High Fidelity plugs, and they're only $15. So why should I pay $40 (over twice as much!) for practically the same thing?"

So, if you have experience with both, then please tell me what you think of both and how they compared for you.

Not sure if anyone else but me here has the Earasers plugs.

If you get an even sound from whatever you are listening to, you are happy with it, and it's just a lot lower volume, stick with what you have.

I tried this type of ear plug, not Hearos BRAND (with the 3 "levels" of the little rubbery things), but I have used that type. They were OK, but kind of uncomfortable for me.
Maybe the Hi Fidelity version from Hearos are different?
The one's I used didn't seem to cut the volume much, but to be fair, it was a few years ago--they had to have gotten better since I tried them.

I also tried the "two part" type that you mix together and mold in your ears (now marketed by Ahead). Those are good for lowering volume a lot, when not needing to hear things clearly.

The Earasers are VERY comfortable, and the sound is very clear and as close to "what it really is" as I have come across. When I really notice the difference is when I take them out, and everything sounds the same, just a lot louder.
Yeah, they're $40 and that's kind of a lot for what it seems like they are (2 little thingys), but I think they're worth it. I'm totally happy with them.

I never did the pro molded type, but I can't imagine that they are better in sound quality than the Earasers.

If the Hearos Hi Fidelity do that for you, then cool.

If you get an even sound from whatever you are listening to, you are happy with it, and it's just a lot lower volume, stick with what you have.

I tried this type of ear plug, not Hearos BRAND (with the 3 "levels" of the little rubbery things), but I have used that type. They were OK, but kind of uncomfortable for me.
The one's I used didn't seem to cut the volume much, but to be fair, it was a few years ago--they had to have gotten better since I tried them.

I also tried the "two part" type that you mix together and mold in your ears (now marketed by Ahead). Those are good for lowering volume a lot, when not needing to hear things clearly.

The Earasers are VERY comfortable, and the sound is very clear and as close to "what it really is" as I have come across. When I really notice the difference is when I take them out, and everything sounds the same, just a lot louder.
Yeah, they're $40 and that's kind of a lot for what it seems like they are (2 little thingys), but I think they're worth it. I'm totally happy with them.

I never did the pro molded type, but I can't imagine that they are better in sound quality than the Earasers.

Yeah, the Hearos High Fidelity plugs only have an elimination of up to 12dB. However, this is only fully realized when they are inserted correctly. They have to be moistened, and the ear canal has to be moistened a little bit too. So, I usually moisten them, insert them, take them out, moisten again, insert, remove, moisten one last time, and insert them. This allows me to get them inserted all the way along with a perfect seal. The result is awesome. If I don't do this, then the result is not very good. That is, instead of simply sounding like someone turned the volume of life down (which is what I get with a perfect seal), it sounds like a partially-muffled sound - just like someone stuck a couple of oddly-shaped rubber chunks in my ears. So, without a perfect seal, some sound still passes through on the sides between my skin and the silicon rubber tip.

However, I will say that the sound coming through these ear plugs could probably be a little clearer. I have a gig on October 4th which will give me some extra spending money and the local Guitar Center has the small and medium Earasers in stock, so I may have to give them a try. Although, I doubt that I'd be able to return them after using them. lol Of course, I will definitely try if they're not $27 better than the High Fidelity plugs, which is the exact difference in retail price. That is, if they're not worth their price.

When you get them inserted all the way, how do you pull them out?

Earasers have a color stripe for which ear they go in (Red=Right ear, Blue=Left ear).

The color is on the back side, and you just slip them in. There is a clear, stiff "string" like piece with a small ball on the end--it's sturdy, it's what you see in the pics, and you just pull them out.

The Earasers company rep said MOST people take the Small size. Unless you are real big, I'd get those.

There is no hassle with these, like what you've gone through to put them in.
After a couple times it's easy.
What you described as the sound if you don't put the Hearos in just right is what I got from that style plug.
The Earasers were clear from the get go, and I don't get any hiss after a show/rehearsal anymore either--big bonus.

Those look like the Hearos too, but in different colors. How are these (either brand) for doing vocals?
I haven't had trouble with the Earasers, but other types get a pretty muffled sound in my head.
They aren't perfect, but they are noticeably better (for me at least).

After the initial feeling of "wow, 40 bucks" is over, the ease, comfort and sound from the Earasers have been worth the extra 20 bucks to me.

I got the initial pair at the Chicago show and they were $25 there, so it wasn't that big a deal (the other pair I got were $39). I actually thought they were going to be at least $50, so I was pretty happy when they weren't.

I'm still looking for someone who has experience with both the Hearos High Fidelity plugs and the Earasers, not just one or the other. I mean, I want to see someone compare them.

Are the Earasers so new that I'm asking a bit too early if anyone has experience with both the Earasers and the Hearos High Fidelity plugs? I was hoping for some comparisons, but so far all I've seen is an ownership of either one or the other.

By the way, the ETY Plugs may look identical to the Hearos High Fidelity plugs, but they're claiming a noise reduction of 20dB while Hearos claims up to 12dB for theirs. Although, I don't see how they can be that different because they look perfectly identical to me.

As far as I can tell, they ARE pretty new. The rep at the booth said they would be available online, and were not in stores yet, and that was in May.
He said GC and Musician's friend websites had them for more than $39 if I recall correctly. He told us next year they would be in stores, but maybe that changed and they are available now.

After one set got left in the container in a pair of pants and washed (lost one) I got a pair from the link I put up. I still had another set, but I still wanted to have a full back up so I coughed up the dough. I'm probably the only one here who has them.

I haven't had the exact ones you have, but do have similar, same design plugs, and IMO the Erasers are way better, and more comfortable. I didn't insert them in a process for a perfect seal like you have down either though.

I don't know how I missed these other posts, but that seems to happen to me on this forum from time to time. It seems that sometimes a post receives new replies and I'm never notified. So, yeah, I'll respond now. Thank you for the replies, Karl!

I've been using the Hearos High Fidelity plugs for perhaps 10 years or more and they have always been the same for me. I don't know if it has really been 10 or more years, but it has been several years I know that.

Anyway, so were these other ear plugs you tried visibly similar to Hearos High Fidelity in that they even looked like these? http://www.etymotic.com/hp/er20.html I'm referring mostly to the transparent tip with that "tuned resonator" thingy inside of it.

Oh, I guess those would come in handy for when you don't want to hear anything. :)

They seem to, but I admit that you got me wondering if the Earasers would be even better. Like you said below, there's a slight hassle to get them inserted. Plus, it's not something I like having others watch me do because the only way that I can moisten the tip is by wetting my lips and then using my lips to wet the tips. When I do this more than once, I imagine that it looks very weird. Plus, the instructions say to pull up on your ear with your arm over your head (so, right arm over the head to pull up on the left ear). If the Earasers just go in without having to do ANY of that, and if they go in easily but then stay until you pull them out - and if they never create any soreness, even after being in for like 4 hours, then I might be sold. lol The High Fidelity plugs never create any soreness for me, but sometimes they slowly slide out (and I mean slowly).

So I dunno. I have practice again on the 30th and the 1st and a gig on the 4th. I'd say now would be a good time to try these out. :)

Earasers have a color stripe for which ear they go in (Red=Right ear, Blue=Left ear).

Oh wow. That's impressive.

The color is on the back side, and you just slip them in. There is a clear, stiff "string" like piece with a small ball on the end--it's sturdy, it's what you see in the pics, and you just pull them out.

So that's what that's for. I kinda figured it was for pulling them out, but I wasn't sure. lol Although, I kept thinking that there appears to be no other way.

So, when you pull them out, do you have to go slowly? With the Hearos High Fidelity plugs, they're supposed to be turned while pulling them out in order to break the seal.

The Earasers company rep said MOST people take the Small size. Unless you are real big, I'd get those.

Oh, thank you for passing that along. The Earasers site says that most adult women take a small and most adult men take a medium. So, I was considering going with a medium, but now I think I'll grab a small. Of course, I may also have to ask what Guitar Center's return policy would be on these. I mean, I have to assume that once they've been in my ears that a return is no longer possible. lol Well, unless we can claim that they're defective and I just want another pair but this time I'd like them to be bigger. haha :)

There is no hassle with these, like what you've gone through to put them in.
After a couple times it's easy.

After a couple of times? What was the first couple of times like for you?

What you described as the sound if you don't put the Hearos in just right is what I got from that style plug.

Yeah, I don't want to be rude, but I haven't met anyone yet who takes the time to properly insert these ear plugs. Everyone wants to just put them in dry and they don't even want to push them in all the way. I even had one person wonder why I liked them so much, and I was like, "Well, you have to put them in like this". I demonstrated it, and they were like, "No, thanks". I nearly facepalmed. When these are inserted properly, I can even talk on the phone with no problem. However, your description of the Earasers is making me curious. So curious in fact that I might go to Guitar Center this weekend to pick a pair up. Their site says that they have the Small and Medium sizes in stock.

The Earasers were clear from the get go, and I don't get any hiss after a show/rehearsal anymore either--big bonus.

I have the same experience with the Hearos High Fidelity plugs. However, it's kind of sounding to me that maybe the Earasers would be noticeably better, and perhaps more comfortable, easier to insert, and easier to remove.

As far as I can tell, they ARE pretty new. The rep at the booth said they would be available online, and were not in stores yet, and that was in May.
He said GC and Musician's friend websites had them for more than $39 if I recall correctly. He told us next year they would be in stores, but maybe that changed and they are available now.

They're definitely available. Two of the stores listed in my local area say "Available Now" while the rest say "Ship to Store"! The two stores listed are the ones closest to me. Interesting. Maybe I'm meant to get these. :)

After one set got left in the container in a pair of pants and washed (lost one) I got a pair from the link I put up. I still had another set, but I still wanted to have a full back up so I coughed up the dough. I'm probably the only one here who has them.

I haven't had the exact ones you have, but do have similar, same design plugs, and IMO the Erasers are way better, and more comfortable. I didn't insert them in a process for a perfect seal like you have down either though.

Yeah, that's the only way the advertised benefits can be achieved with the Hearos High Fidelity plugs (such as a flat attenuation). I said it before, but I've never met anyone who's willing to work towards a perfect seal. We're just far too conditioned to just stick ear plugs in our ears without doing anything first, but the instructions that are included with the High Fidelity plugs make it clear that it's just just a simple "plug and play" insertion like all other plugs. They have to be inserted so that absolutely 100% of the sound is going through the special "tuned resonator" thing inside. If any of it gets through the sides in between the canal and the rubber tip, then you may as well be loosely plugging up your ears with your fingers. :)

I admit though that I never enjoy putting my earplugs in when others might see me do it because again, I wet my lips, use my lips to moisten the entire tip of the earplug, insert them into my ears quickly before my saliva evaporates, take them out, moisten them again, insert, and then I repeat that one more time if needed. All the while pulling my ear up with my opposite arm over my head (left with right, and right with left). I bet it looks ridiculous and a bit weird.

There's one more slightly negative thing I can say about the High Fidelity plugs: even though my ears are always very clean (thanks to Q-tips after a daily shower), these things sometimes slide out over time and that can result in gradually breaking the seal and me never noticing. I think it's due to making too many faces, or smiling big, or something (perhaps combined with sweating or something because it seems that they begin sliding in and out relatively easily, almost as there's a droplet of lubrication in there).

The more and more I talk about this, the more and more I want to try the Earasers. lol

I'm just about to leave the house to go get some Earasers. I should be back within the hour here.

I bought the Small because I was comparing them to my Hearos High Fidelity plus and the Small looked like they'd be the better fit, but after getting home and trying them I think that they're too small. No matter what I do, they don't seal up my ear canal. They've been in my ears, so now I can't return them.

They also seem harder to insert than the Hearos because they're shorter. I'm going to request an RMA from them because Guitar Center made it clear that once I put them in my ears, they're mine. Although, I didn't hear that from a manager. Still, Earasers wants $10 in shipping for an RMA just to do an even exchange. So, in the end I will be paying $52.84 for these instead of $42.84. Good grief. I wish I had known because then I wouldn't have done this.

Well, maybe they're working as advertised and I'm just not used to it yet. I mean, I was expecting them to be nearly identical to my Hearos High Fidelity plugs in the way everything sounds with them in. They're definitely different. The sound I'm getting with the Earasers sounds kind of like there's sound passing through on the sides, as though they're not sealing up my ear canal. Although, maybe they're sealing up my canal and what I'm hearing is the sound passing through the Earasers. This is weird. Let me explain:

There are only two ways I can test these ear plugs right now: by hitting my sticks together very hard right by my ears (where I am right now, I just have a pair of sticks and a practice pad), and by also messing with the glass bottles in our recycling bin. I figure that messing with the glass bottles is far more effective because when glass bottles land on glass bottles from just a couple of feet up, it's loud and it frickin' hurts! So, these two tests are exactly what I did:

Test #1: hitting my sticks together very hard right next to my ears. Nothing. :) No problem. I took my plugs out and tried again. Ouch. A little bit of a problem. I'm not doing that again. Still, I keep thinking that there's sound passing through in between the skin of my ear canal and the soft silicon of the ear plugs. In other words, I still believe that they're not sealing up my ear canal to the point where 100% of the sound is going through the ear plugs. So, let's move on to the glass bottles.

Test #2: Allowing glass bottles to land on glass bottles from 2-3 feet away, with a slight downward throw in order to increase the volume as much as possible while hopefully not breaking the bottles. I did it and again, there was nothing! No problem! I'm confused! I still believe that the Earasers haven't sealed up my ear canal completely, yet this loud glass-on-glass sound of me kind of tossing a bottle down at other bottles from 2-3 feet away is painless and doesn't seem too loud to me at all!

So, I keep trying to get the loudest sound from these bottles as possible without breaking them, and still it's no problem, each and every time! There were times I thought for sure that I'd end up with a shattered bottle! So then I thought, "Well, ok... maybe I'm just not remembering correctly. Maybe this isn't as loud and as ear-piercing as I thought because after all, it has been a long time since I've heard this sound". So, I removed the Earasers and tried again, but this time with a conscious effort to produce a much quieter sound - kind of like I would when just normally tossing a bottle in the recycling bin. The result? OUCH! Dude, that was painfully loud, and I tried to produce a much quieter sound that time! Omg that hurt.

So ok, maybe my money was well spent after all. I don't know for sure yet. However, that glass bottle test was extremely impressive. I mean, there I was damn near slamming glass bottles down onto other glass bottles and it was no problem. Then, when I took the Earasers out and tried to do the same thing only gingerly this time, it hurt like a bitch. lol What confuses me though is the sound I'm hearing is somewhat similar to the sound I get with the Hearos Fidelity plugs if I don't create a perfect seal in my ear canal. It's kind of like having my fingers partially in my ears. So, I don't know, it's hard to tell at this point, except again that glass bottle test leaves me wondering if maybe they're sealing up my canal and everything is just fine. I don't really know for sure.

Tomorrow night and Tuesday night will be the real test: band practice. I'll try to do an A/B test to see which ones I like better. I have a feeling that I'll lean towards my Hearos High Fidelity plugs because they're easier to insert and easier to remove due to being much longer and also due to how accustomed I am to the resulting sound with them sealed in my ear canal. So, I'll start the practice with the Earasers in and I'll go from there.

This has been an interesting day so far.

They do go in easier when they are a little warm, rather than just right out of the little round container.
I had that happen yesterday at practice actually. I'll usually have the container in my pocket to be ready for a while before the guys get there, but yesterday I didn't.
They are definitely more comfortable, and easier to insert when the plugs are warmer than the room.
They will also insert pretty far in and seal, and that little pull string sticks out enough.
They do go in a ways, I use my pinky to seal them up nicely.

It's pretty wild that things still seem kinda loud, and it's not really a problem, and then you take them out (doing the same thing) and it's holy cow!

Glass bottles clinking together would be pretty dang loud!

My test was the Chicago Drum Show. I was "used to" the volume by the time I got them, but, when I took them out after having them in for a while, and the place seemed twice as loud.

I tried them at practice tonight and either they are too small and aren't making a perfect seal, or I just don't like them. The sound I get in my ears with the Hearos High Fidelity is much better to me, especially from my drums because my drums have a better sound to me with my High Fidelity plugs in.

Another problem I had was that the Earasers took a lot longer for me to insert to my satisfaction than the Hearos High Fidelity plugs. I kept having to push them with the tip of my pinky. Even then, I found myself not quite satisfied with the fit. They must be too small.

Yet another problem on top of that was that it took me a lot longer to remove them because the little stem was pressed up against my skin in my ear on both ears, so I had to use my finger nails to kind of scrape at it in order to pull on it a bit using the bulbous tip. Then, once they were out far enough, I could grab the stem and pull them out.

Not only that, but these things are tiny and transparent. If I were to drop them on stage, then I'm going to have one hell of a time finding them. The Hearos High Fidelity plugs are relatively big and bright white. I've dropped these on stage before and I have always been able to quickly locate them before it's too late. With the Earasers, I wouldn't be surprised to lose it until the end of the set when I had time to crouch down and look.

I dunno. All in all, I honestly feel right now that I wasted my money. However, I could give $10 to Earasers for a replacement in order to get a bigger size, but that $10 would be in addition to whatever I would have to spend in order to ship it to them. So that could be what, a final total of maybe $15? So, $42.84 + $10 is already $52.84 plus whatever I would have to spend in order to ship them out to Earasers, maybe $5? So, $57.84 in the end? Um, I don't know. Maybe I should just throw them away and just cut my spending enough in order to make up for the loss. When I put my Hearos High Fidelity plugs back in tonight, I was like 'Yep, those Earasers were a big waste of my money". Sure, maybe I'm just very accustomed to my High Fidelity plugs, but there was still no denying everything.

So yeah, unless Earasers wants to make good on this and work with Guitar Center so that I can just get an even exchange for the Medium without having to shell out an extra ~$15, then I will have no problem doing that. I mean, based on my experience so far, I'm not even feeling that it would be worth just $5 extra for an exchange to the bigger size, let alone $15.

Oh well. Isn't this what life is all about anyway? Learning? It's just too bad it had to cost me $42.84. I should have known better too because this is a large amount of money to me right now.

Bottom line is if you end up liking the Hearos better, then use them.
HOWEVER :)......

Since you have used the Hearos for almost 10 years, you have that "sound" in your head, you're used to it, and like it.
Right off the bat, you're up against your own built in bias. Looking for a huge difference probably would never happen realistically. The plugs either work, and protect the ears, or they don't.
Both brands are going to claim that their plugs make thing sound clear and "real". I do find that the Earasers do that for me, as close as anything you stick in your ear can be at least.

They may possibly be too small, but the rep looked at both my friends, and my ears and said we would take a Small, and a said MOST people take a Small.
They ONLY had Small and Large at the booth, and never mentioned there even WAS a Medium. I don't thing the lit had a Medium listed either. When I ordered mine (for the replacement set) online, I'm pretty sure there was only S & L at that point too. Again, just my experience with them.
Maybe it's a new offering?
Do you wear an XL (or 2X fitted) baseball cap?
Just curious as to why a Samll wouldn't work for you.

They DO go in a ways, and the little pull thing will adjust to sit in the center to pull out of the ear. You just have to bend it a little with your finger--that's what I did. Maybe my ear could fit a Medium too, don't know.

I have a set of the type you have, but I don't know that they are the Hearos HiFidelity model.
I will try them out tonight, and see what the differences are (I found them yesterday).

In the same boat as you ATM, and if I had $15 to "try out" (a couple drum projects already ITW) the actual Hearos HiFidelity, I'd do it, because now I'm stumped and curious.

I get you on the different sound--I have a set of Peltor ear muffs, and the drums sound freaking awesome with them, but I'm not wearing them on stage, they'd look stupid.

I'm used to an open, resonant sound from the drums, and when I tune them up, or play without plugs, they sound the same with the Earasers. I can only go by my experience with them.
They are light years better sounding than the foam plugs I used before (which actually rate higher at 29), and for me, they have been easy to use and comfortable (if they are warm :) ). I know I didn't stay with the type you have because of the sound, and the PITA it was to put in, just for "normal" protection and not the quality of sound.

Too bad about the money spent if you really just don't like them after a bit of use. For me they DO work great, but, not everything is for everyone.

You have them now, so I'd still try them a few times playing the drums in the environment you usually do, without A/B ing them and see what happens. You spent the money so you don't have anything to loose at this point.

If you get good protection, and good results (during & after) then use them, but if you A/B, you're still up against your 10 year sound familiarity, and the "test" is skewed.
After 10 years or whatever, anything is going to be an adjustment--not that you should just change "because", or anything either.
Worse case out of it, you have a good back up set of plugs to protect your ears--if you aren't thinking "I f#king hate them" as you are playing as gig.

I won't tell you to complain to GC that you never put them in your ears after seeing them (and knowing you need a Medium) to get a bigger size. A "It's not fair that you have to see the product out of the package, and then get screwed" type of thing.

They told me to just clean them with warm water and soap.
The rep said they have to throw them out, but I'd guess they would likely clean them up and repackage them if they look absolutely brand new, unless they have health watchdogs over them.
I've used mine since May, and they look brand new still.

Good luck.

Karl, I thank you very sincerely for taking the time to read and to reply. I mean that!

Bottom line is if you end up liking the Hearos better, then use them.
HOWEVER :)......

Since you have used the Hearos for almost 10 years, you have that "sound" in your head, you're used to it, and like it.
Right off the bat, you're up against your own built in bias. Looking for a huge difference probably would never happen realistically. The plugs either work, and protect the ears, or they don't.
Both brands are going to claim that their plugs make thing sound clear and "real". I do find that the Earasers do that for me, as close as anything you stick in your ear can be at least.

I admit that I've been kinda thinking these same things. I mean, I've barely even given them a chance!

They may possibly be too small, but the rep looked at both my friends, and my ears and said we would take a Small, and a said MOST people take a Small.
They ONLY had Small and Large at the booth, and never mentioned there even WAS a Medium. I don't thing the lit had a Medium listed either. When I ordered mine (for the replacement set) online, I'm pretty sure there was only S & L at that point too. Again, just my experience with them.
Maybe it's a new offering?

It must be because both the Small and the Medium fit the description of it being the right size for most people while Large is for a very small number of people.

Do you wear an XL (or 2X fitted) baseball cap?
Just curious as to why a Samll wouldn't work for you.

No, it might have just been that I was expecting a different kind of fit. Maybe they're fitting just fine and I only need to get used to it.

They DO go in a ways, and the little pull thing will adjust to sit in the center to pull out of the ear. You just have to bend it a little with your finger--that's what I did. Maybe my ear could fit a Medium too, don't know.

Yeah, mine definitely didn't sit in the center. It was pressed up against one side. Bending it doesn't work because it just repositions itself back to the original.

I have a set of the type you have, but I don't know that they are the Hearos HiFidelity model.
I will try them out tonight, and see what the differences are (I found them yesterday).

In the same boat as you ATM, and if I had $15 to "try out" (a couple drum projects already ITW) the actual Hearos HiFidelity, I'd do it, because now I'm stumped and curious.

If the Earasers were working as advertised for me, then I must admit that I was missing the enhanced low end that I get with the High Fidelity plugs. Although, my drums need all the help that they can get, so there's that. I have the original Stage Custom from 1997, back before Yamaha began improving them. Although, I just got the tune-bot and I tried it out tonight on my 10" tom and it made a massive difference for just that one tom. I didn't have time to finish the rest, but I have to wonder now: if I can get the rest of the drums tuned up perfectly with this thing, then maybe they won't sound so bad to me. I mean, I've never liked the sound of my drums without my earplugs in, but then I've never been good at tuning either - no matter how much I practice.

So, hmm. I also keep thinking back to slamming the glass bottles against each other in our recycling bin and it was absolutely painless. What was confusing to me was, it sounded 100% natural, like I didn't have earplugs in. I was worried that a lot of the sound was getting by on the sides and not all going through the Earasers, but I assume that I wouldn't have been able to tolerate the glass bottles if that were true. I mean damn, when I took the Earasers out and tried hitting one of the glass bottles with another but gently this time, I was like, "Whoa, ok, yeah I'm never doing that again. Youch!" So, I don't know. I guess I could be being thrown off by the natural and clear sound coming through. I'm not sure. Maybe I'm mistaking that for sound coming through on the sides.

I get you on the different sound--I have a set of Peltor ear muffs, and the drums sound freaking awesome with them, but I'm not wearing them on stage, they'd look stupid.

I'm used to an open, resonant sound from the drums, and when I tune them up, or play without plugs, they sound the same with the Earasers. I can only go by my experience with them.

This comment right here makes me think that maybe the Earasers are working perfectly for me because that's what I noticed too. I didn't like it though because I've never liked the sound of my drums without my ear plugs in.

They are light years better sounding than the foam plugs I used before (which actually rate higher at 29), and for me, they have been easy to use and comfortable (if they are warm :) ). I know I didn't stay with the type you have because of the sound, and the PITA it was to put in, just for "normal" protection and not the quality of sound.

Too bad about the money spent if you really just don't like them after a bit of use. For me they DO work great, but, not everything is for everyone.

You have them now, so I'd still try them a few times playing the drums in the environment you usually do, without A/B ing them and see what happens. You spent the money so you don't have anything to loose at this point.

Yeah, this is kind of what I've been thinking too. Again too, maybe now with the tune-bot helping me get my drums to be perfectly tuned, I might not hate their natural sound so much (as opposed to preferring the "EQ'd" sound with the High Fidelity plugs in).

If you get good protection, and good results (during & after) then use them, but if you A/B, you're still up against your 10 year sound familiarity, and the "test" is skewed.
After 10 years or whatever, anything is going to be an adjustment--not that you should just change "because", or anything either.
Worse case out of it, you have a good back up set of plugs to protect your ears--if you aren't thinking "I f#king hate them" as you are playing as gig.

Another thing I thought of just now is that, these will help me manage my volume. It's easy to play too loud with the High Fidelity plugs in. When I want to manage my volume level very carefully, such as being in a big where I absolutely cannot and must not be too loud, I play without my ear plugs and it forces me to play quieter because I can hear the whole room. So, this is an interesting benefit that I didn't see before from the Earasers.

I won't tell you to complain to GC that you never put them in your ears after seeing them (and knowing you need a Medium) to get a bigger size. A "It's not fair that you have to see the product out of the package, and then get screwed" type of thing.

They told me to just clean them with warm water and soap.

Yeah, I guess if I truly end up wanting to return them in order to get the medium, then I could wash them with soap and water, take them back to the store and explained that I washed them and sterilized them and now I'd like to exchange them for the Mediums. If they give me trouble, then I could plead the fact that I'm broke and $40 is a lot of money for me, which is true. I was just so sold on these that $40 seemed like a very wise investment.

The rep said they have to throw them out, but I'd guess they would likely clean them up and repackage them if they look absolutely brand new, unless they have health watchdogs over them.
I've used mine since May, and they look brand new still.

Good luck.

Yeah, I can't imagine them wanting to toss them if they've been washed and sterilized. Although, I guess now it's a matter of me just giving these a better chance before I make any final decisions.

Thanks again, Karl. This has been tremendously helpful!

Ah-HA....
Your '97 Stage Custom shells are not doing you any favors in the low end department.
The older SC drums are pretty well made, and they hold up, but head selection, and tuning are more important on this "level" of drums (from any maker).

Funny that shells/kits that don't cost as much, are mainly used by people who are starting out (or, don't need a high dollar kit), and (maybe) aren't as experienced in tuning to get real decent range out of them.

Since I don't know what heads you use now, I'd suggest to maybe get (at least for one tom) some coated Evans G1 or 2's, and some G1 bottoms (coated or clear) for these drums to get a good low end going.
Remo are what I use, but I like a little bit drier sound, and I find Evans are a little more on the beef side, than the crisp side with the initial attack of the stick. That might help on your drums. Also, learn to embrace the sustain. IME, if the heads are muted with tape or Moongel, then you are getting rid of some low end that takes a little to develop, and getting you end up getting more mids and attack.

I'd stay away from the EC head types too. Not because they are "bad", but because of experience with a friends kit of similar shell. On his drums, no matter what I did to make them sound even in all tones (high, med, low), they had a real mid-range tone that wouldn't go away, and it was kind of a drag.
He put on some non pre-muting heads, and it was a lot better sound on that kit.
Pinstripes work well too, and there are coated Pinstripes too, and that head sound real nice. The point is to get something that will help you get a beefier sound on those shells, without cutting out any of the total range of the head. You can dial out, or use a TINY piece of moongel to take out a little high end, but you can't add low end to what you are hearing behind the kit.

Since you said the 10 improved greatly by a re-tune, once you get the others going, the whole kit should sound cooler.

I tried the Hearos type of plugs (put them in correctly) and yes, there was a lower tone in everything, but it wasn't as clear or as "true" as I find the Earasers.

I used them at work this morning too, and they muffled the sound, and decreased the volume of the small vac pump, and air compressor I use in my job, so they did protect my ears, but again, the "tone" of those machines was lower, but not what they really sound like (been using them for 20 years now, so I know what they sound like haha!)

Ah-HA....
Your '97 Stage Custom shells are not doing you any favors in the low end department.
The older SC drums are pretty well made, and they hold up, but head selection, and tuning are more important on this "level" of drums (from any maker).

Funny that shells/kits that don't cost as much, are mainly used by people who are starting out (or, don't need a high dollar kit), and (maybe) aren't as experienced in tuning to get real decent range out of them.

Since I don't know what heads you use now, I'd suggest to maybe get (at least for one tom) some coated Evans G1 or 2's, and some G1 bottoms (coated or clear) for these drums to get a good low end going.
Remo are what I use, but I like a little bit drier sound, and I find Evans are a little more on the beef side, than the crisp side with the initial attack of the stick. That might help on your drums. Also, learn to embrace the sustain. IME, if the heads are muted with tape or Moongel, then you are getting rid of some low end that takes a little to develop, and getting you end up getting more mids and attack.

I'd stay away from the EC head types too. Not because they are "bad", but because of experience with a friends kit of similar shell. On his drums, no matter what I did to make them sound even in all tones (high, med, low), they had a real mid-range tone that wouldn't go away, and it was kind of a drag.
He put on some non pre-muting heads, and it was a lot better sound on that kit.
Pinstripes work well too, and there are coated Pinstripes too, and that head sound real nice. The point is to get something that will help you get a beefier sound on those shells, without cutting out any of the total range of the head. You can dial out, or use a TINY piece of moongel to take out a little high end, but you can't add low end to what you are hearing behind the kit.

Since you said the 10 improved greatly by a re-tune, once you get the others going, the whole kit should sound cooler.

I tried the Hearos type of plugs (put them in correctly) and yes, there was a lower tone in everything, but it wasn't as clear or as "true" as I find the Earasers.

I used them at work this morning too, and they muffled the sound, and decreased the volume of the small vac pump, and air compressor I use in my job, so they did protect my ears, but again, the "tone" of those machines was lower, but not what they really sound like (been using them for 20 years now, so I know what they sound like haha!)

Yeah, the only heads that I can stand these days are single ply. On my toms, I have Evans G1 clears on both sides with no muffling of any kind. The snare is the same, except I have a coated G1 and a Reso 300 or whatever it's called now (the equivalent to the Ambassador snare side). The bass drum has an Aquarian Super-Kick I on the batter side with an Aquarian Regulator (with no hole) on the resonant side.

I also never have any gigs where my drums are miked up (except for my bass drum), so it's kind of a win/win situation: I get to have clear single ply on my toms tuned with the longest sustain possible, or maximum resonance. Thanks to the tune-bot though, I was able to get the batter and resonant heads to the same pitch today and actually get a proper sound out of them - at least as proper as one can get with these drums in a small basement. lol (let's just say that I'm looking forward to hearing their true sound when I get them back into the practice room, or hopefully at the gig this Friday night). Being able to get a good sound with both heads to the same pitch has been a goal of mine for over a decade now, perhaps even coming up on 15 years now. I just could never do it for some reason, but the tune-bot enabled me to do it and so now hopefully my toms will have the sound that I've been looking for and maybe I won't have to depend on the Hearos to kind of "pretend" that I have a good sound. lol

I also have the RIMS mounts on them, much like the kind that Gibralter and a few other companies make today. Mine were made by either PDP or DW because I remember the package saying "PDP", but the cool little holographic sticker says "Drum Workshop, Inc." in small print with no other branding except for "RIMS". I also had the bearing edges recut by the local drum shop. You might recognize the name: Ellis Drum Shop here in St. Paul, MN.

So yeah, I'm always doing the best that I can with these drums but it seems they still always have a bad sound to me. Although, there have been venues and rooms (like a friend's living room) where my drums sounded like a top-of-the-line kit. Sigh. How I long for those days to come again. :) He must've had a true hardwood floor because damn. Of course, the tune-bot is teaching me that it has also been due to my poor tuning.

If these toms have the better sound that I'm hoping for on Friday night, then I might end up feeling like I'm able to use the Earasers without the worry of hearing their true sound (but I may leave them at home and wait until our next practice when there will be more time for experimentation). Although, I still have to tune the snare and the bass drum. lol I'm hoping to tune the snare while setting up on Friday night. It's a 14"x5½" Jeff Ocheltree Heavy Metals Carbon Steel Snare, yet I am never happy with its sound. I was extremely happy with it when I played it straight out of the box and even for a few days afterward. However, the more and more I played with the tuning, the worse and worse it sounded. lol That's why I need the tune-bot. :) I miss the sound of this snare when it was new. It was simply amazing, and the feel was like nothing else.

lol this is way off topic now, so I'll try to keep it focused on the topic by concluding that if this tune-bot can help me get my drums tuned up properly, then perhaps I won't mind hearing my drums as they really are by using the Earasers.

Back