Earasers Not Working

Galadrm

I bought a pair of earasers last year and they barely reduced the sound level at all. I had another pair shipped out for free after claiming they didn't work, and this second pair was also faulty for me.

They seemed to reduce the upper mids a fair amount, Id say between 400Hz-3Khz there was a 6db or so reduction. But above and below that range felt almost unaffected, and overall the level was still painful when I played loud. No where near enough ear protection for a several hour gig.

Just wondering if anyone else has used earasers and has a similar problem with them. I am certain there is no issue with my insertion technique or ability to develop a proper seal. I even plugged the filter hole with blu-tack and the noise reduction was significant, probably around 25db - around that of my triple flange earplugs.

So do people find all earasers to have very little reduction? Interested to hear your experiences.

I have two pairs that have both torn due to badly glued filters.

The first time I tried them I thought the same thing as you, I worried they weren't protecting, but the salesman at the store reassured me that they attenuate the damaging frequencies and that it's fine. I used them without fault until they fell apart, I do believe they are protecting my ears because there is a big difference when you take them out.

I emailed them to say they were getting torn because the filters kept coming out but they told me I would have to buy the next set.

Try the green filter ones.

Personally I think they should have sent me a free pair, I'm gonna try dubs next time. I'm using my moulds in the meantime.

I use earasers now and agree with Bo that its a subtle difference, but at the end of the night when I take them off everything seems so much louder and clearer. So they must be doing something. My treble hearing isn't great, so I need them to let some treble through or else I couldn't play properly.

When properly inserted I get some of that internal resonance when I speak or sing, but not as much as blocked ears or foam plugs.

Interesting, so it seems both of you don't describe a huge difference, which is similar to my experiences. I would have expected them to reduce a lot more than what they do though, I was hoping similar to my triple flange plugs but with a flatter response.

Id say it would be those middle frequencies that are the most damaging to hearing with drums, unfortunately they are also the frequencies where I feel all the punch and attack when I play, so even a gentle scoop in that region really ruins the feel for me.

http://www.earasers.net/pages/specifications

Having another look at this graph now Ive tried them, it puts into perspective that the blue (ear resonance) line is peaking in the upper mids, however this is our 'natural hearing curve' despite it not being linear. So the fact that earasers produce a 'flat response' does not equate to a 'linear reduction in sound', which is what I inherently assumed.

Oh well I will continue using mine with blu tack in them, they work great.

I have two pairs that have both torn due to badly glued filters.

The first time I tried them I thought the same thing as you, I worried they weren't protecting, but the salesman at the store reassured me that they attenuate the damaging frequencies and that it's fine. I used them without fault until they fell apart, I do believe they are protecting my ears because there is a big difference when you take them out.

I emailed them to say they were getting torn because the filters kept coming out but they told me I would have to buy the next set.

Try the green filter ones.

Personally I think they should have sent me a free pair, I'm gonna try dubs next time. I'm using my moulds in the meantime.

Which are the green filter ones you refer to? I couldn't seem to find them on the net.

Also how long did your earasers last? They all come with a one year warranty so make sure to hassle the store if the warranty was/is still valid. I didn't get my second pair easily it took numerous emails back and forth. Other than pointing out a valid warranty, threatening to take your business elsewhere often helps make the store cough up.

I was looking for High Fidelity earplugs a while back and a number of people told me how great Earasers were so I bought a pair, and they're alright but didn't seem to block out that much sound, getting them out of my ear was kinda weird with that wire thingy, plus they're clear and I lost them on the floor at a gig.
Since then I've been using Hearos Rock 'n Roll High Fidelity Earplugs and they're MUCH better, they block out a lot of outside noise but everything still sounds clear just quieter, they're black with a red tip so they're a little easier to find, PLUS they're only $7 while Earasers are $40!

Which are the green filter ones you refer to? I couldn't seem to find them on the net.

Also how long did your earasers last? They all come with a one year warranty so make sure to hassle the store if the warranty was/is still valid. I didn't get my second pair easily it took numerous emails back and forth. Other than pointing out a valid warranty, threatening to take your business elsewhere often helps make the store cough up.

It's a stronger filter that you can special order

I tried the Hearos HiFi plugs but they cut too much treble for me - I couldn't wear them for gigs because I couldn't hear everyone else properly. OK for practice though, and people with good hearing. The Earasers work well for my less than perfect hearing, and they're more comfortable.

(By the way Duck Tape - I called you Bo above - I thought he had posted, but it was you. My apologies.)

I use these Etymotics:https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Res...1466628097&sr=8-3&keywords=etymotics+earplugs

When I wear them at gigs, they make things sound somewhat compressed, which I don't mind. They are comfortable and come with string that goes around the back of your neck and keeps them from getting lost. I loaned my spare pair to the soundman at a gig over the weekend. He loved them. I've tried the Dubs, and the Fender ones. I like these much more. I'm going to order more-they're cheap, too!

I was looking for High Fidelity earplugs a while back and a number of people told me how great Earasers were so I bought a pair, and they're alright but didn't seem to block out that much sound, getting them out of my ear was kinda weird with that wire thingy, plus they're clear and I lost them on the floor at a gig.
Since then I've been using Hearos Rock 'n Roll High Fidelity Earplugs and they're MUCH better, they block out a lot of outside noise but everything still sounds clear just quieter, they're black with a red tip so they're a little easier to find, PLUS they're only $7 while Earasers are $40!

Thanks might give these a shot

Earasers are my favorite, sorry. Perfect amount of reduction so that my ears are still protected but I don't have to take them out to hear people talk. However, I'm not great at keeping track of them and they're a bit expensive. I've been using IEMs and other earbuds with Comply tips for several months with good results, but none of them have as neutral reduction as the Earasers.

Back