Ear worm or schizophrenia?

Johnny2u2

So I started losing my hearing noticeably from 18 on like Beethoven without the talent, I have always had tinnitus and music in my head 24/7. Always a random song, most times a decent song occasionally a crappy song. Does anyone else have this? Even though I have lost a great deal of my hearing I hear “true pitch” in my head and can still tell when a band member is out of key/tune and music parts to whichever song we’re doing if I know the song or more importantly when I learned the song. Nowdays it’s harder since it’s harder to learn new songs as far as pitch goes. “Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?”

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
I don't have music 24/7 but after I spend time memorizing songs-my brain plays them back in my head for weeks. Without my aids and when my tinnitus is really bad I do hear music in white noise like a shower or vacuum or lawn mower. Auditory hallucinations are quite common with people with hearing loss-so you should get a plethora of responses.

But we should discuss the possibility of a Ceti eel larvae causing them. So have you recently had intergalactic travel to a region you might pick up an ear maggot?

Johnny2u2

I don't have music 24/7 but after I spend time memorizing songs-my brain plays them back in my head for weeks. Without my aids and when my tinnitus is really bad I do hear music in white noise like a shower or vacuum or lawn mower. Auditory hallucinations are quite common with people with hearing loss-so you should get a plethora of responses.

But we should discuss the possibility of a Ceti eel larvae causing them. So have you recently had intergalactic travel to a region you might pick up an ear maggot?

Your symptoms are close enough that I’m contented with I’m not the only one. You wear aids too? I googled famous musicians with hearing loss and was amazed at the list. Nice write concerning intergalactic travel and while I can usually reply with something amusing offthecuff, I’m coming up blank. Wait…Nope got nothin”. :)

Johnny2u2

Concerning the tinnitus some may say audio hallucinations. Others may say audio sensitive to energy and or spirits wanting to communicate. I regarded the above with a healthy dose of skepticism and a need to know first hand experience versus 2nd or 3rd hand accounts and theories. Will be ghost hunting to verify for myself which be true. Side note: Tinittus is an excellent focal point for mediation

eric_B

Oh, all the time a song keeps repeating 'inside my head', nothing I can do about it.
It could be songs I'm learning to play, songs I like, songs I hate, whatever.
Usually for several days/weeks...until another one takes over.

Lately it was Camila Cabello - Bam bam.
Please, feel sorry for me :p

Johnny2u2

Oh, all the time a song keeps repeating 'inside my head', nothing I can do about it.
It could be songs I'm learning to play, songs I like, songs I hate, whatever.
Usually for several days/weeks...until another one takes over.

Lately it was Camila Cabello - Bam bam.
Please, feel sorry for me :p

Ha! I empathize! I once had that childrens tv show theme song from Barney…ALL DAY LONG! Lol

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
I've had tinnitus for decades. I have overall hearing loss for my whole life, got tubes at 4 or 5.

I still hear just about everything, but it's at an extremely diminished level. Because of this I hear all kinds of sounds that I cant identify. Things like the refrigerator or the dishwasher.

Music in the car causes problems. I am constantly hearing weird sounds I cant identify. 95% of the time it's the radio. I must turn the radio off then back on to determine if the sound is buried in the music.

Certain sounds set my tinnitus off bigtime. Feedback is one of them. Smoke alarms is another. Shooting guns does it too, but that's from the concussion. And of course so do drums and cymbals.

As for audio hallucinations, I constantly hear things. Most of the time it's nothing. Been happening all my life so I think nothing of it. I see shit out the corner of my eyes too. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
So I started losing my hearing noticeably from 18 on like Beethoven without the talent, I have always had tinnitus and music in my head 24/7. Always a random song, most times a decent song occasionally a crappy song. Does anyone else have this? Even though I have lost a great deal of my hearing I hear “true pitch” in my head and can still tell when a band member is out of key/tune and music parts to whichever song we’re doing if I know the song or more importantly when I learned the song. Nowdays it’s harder since it’s harder to learn new songs as far as pitch goes. “Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?”
Amazing ! My musical life is exactly like yours. Music in my head constantly, tinnitus, hearing loss and true pitch. I’m always telling guitar players to retune, and they always find that they are in fact out of tune. By the way I was born on December 16th, same day as Beethoven.

Johnny2u2

I've had tinnitus for decades. I have overall hearing loss for my whole life, got tubes at 4 or 5.

I still hear just about everything, but it's at an extremely diminished level. Because of this I hear all kinds of sounds that I cant identify. Things like the refrigerator or the dishwasher.

Music in the car causes problems. I am constantly hearing weird sounds I cant identify. 95% of the time it's the radio. I must turn the radio off then back on to determine if the sound is buried in the music.

Certain sounds set my tinnitus off bigtime. Feedback is one of them. Smoke alarms is another. Shooting guns does it too, but that's from the concussion. And of course so do drums and cymbals.

As for audio hallucinations, I constantly hear things. Most of the time it's nothing. Been happening all my life so I think nothing of it. I see shit out the corner of my eyes too. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Definitely not the only one! I agree with hearing stuff I can’t define. My brothers alarm clock radio sounds like a screaming cat to me! Freaked me out until I found the cause. Tinnitus I turned lemons into lemonade. Extremely beneficial as a meditation focal point. I’ve found through meditation and exploratory methods you can train your subconscious to say tones = presence etc. fascinating journeys to say the least

Johnny2u2

Amazing ! My musical life is exactly like yours. Music in my head constantly, tinnitus, hearing loss and true pitch. I’m always telling guitar players to retune, and they always find that they are in fact out of tune. By the way I was born on December 16th, same day as Beethoven.

Ha! Outstanding! Strange isn’t it? No one ever believes when I bring up out of key or tune since they usually know I’m deaf as sheeet

Mediocrefunkybeat

Platinum Member
Ear worm!

You don't have to have schizophrenia to hear voices, either. I'm an occassional voice hearer and a long time ago used to get visual hallucinations under conditions of extreme stress and tiredness but schizophrenia has never been on the cards. These voices can't be identified with external sounds but you get used to it. Rare these days, maybe once every couple of months but it used to be a bit more frequent.

Johnny2u2

Ear worm!

You don't have to have schizophrenia to hear voices, either. I'm an occassional voice hearer and a long time ago used to get visual hallucinations under conditions of extreme stress and tiredness but schizophrenia has never been on the cards. These voices can't be identified with external sounds but you get used to it. Rare these days, maybe once every couple of months but it used to be a bit more frequent.

Glad to hear. I hear voices on occasion and have done lots of meditative exploration. Some voices are from aspects of “Me” for example the “addict” in me always wanting a cigarette will try and manipulate to achieve that “goal”

Club Date

Tinnitus I turned lemons into lemonade. Extremely beneficial as a meditation focal point. I’ve found through meditation and exploratory methods you can train your subconscious to say tones = presence etc. fascinating journeys to say the least
I'd like to hear more about this comment--using the tinnitus as a meditation focal point. Googling this, I only find results for meditation in general to relieve tinnitus. I've had it for many years (of course mostly because of drumming without ear protection) and was tested about ten years ago for hearing loss. It was still excellent then but I'm realizing now that I'm losing the higher tones. It's screaming as I write this! Thankfully I don't hear voices or other phantom sounds, but I sure as hell have music in my head 24/7. I WAKE UP and often have the same tune as last night/yesterday right back in my head. And then, of course, I'm drumming with my teeth as well--but that's another thread!

Last edited:

Ransan

Thankfully I don't hear voices or other phantom sounds, but I sure as hell have music in my head 24/7. I WAKE UP and often have the same tune as last night/yesterday right back in my head. And then, of course, I'm drumming with my teeth as well--but that's another thread!
Reading through this I was nodding in agreement, once I got to the teeth click drumming, I was like yep!

Still have my chiclets (teeth) - I use my right side for bass and my left for the snare lol.

Side note - when I was little, I would often see a big head image out of the corners of my vision field of the carton Egon Spengler from Ghostbusters cartoon. No body just the head.

It would appear from around the corner and go back or in the room across the way.
I would go after it never to see anything, thinking about it nowadays, it really intrigues me why I still remember in vivid detail.

As I got the ghost traper during my 4th birthday in ‘87, I’d throw it around the corner step on the pedal, and hope it worked.

1660326093888.jpeg

Otto

Platinum Member
Be careful with self diagnosis folks...our culture has severe consequences for identifying with our mentally ill population even if the DX is not accurate.

Sad truth about healthcare in the modern day.

doggyd69b

Silver Member
Small, amount of hearing loss because of the military, not enough to need hearing aids, but there are a couple of frequencies that elude me. However, I improved on my last hearing test... go figure. I always have music playing in my head with extreme detail as I can pretty much separate instruments. This makes learning to play easier for me so no complaints there.

Johnny2u2

I'd like to hear more about this comment--using the tinnitus as a meditation focal point. Googling this, I only find results for meditation in general to relieve tinnitus. I've had it for many years (of course mostly because of drumming without ear protection) and was tested about ten years ago for hearing loss. It was still excellent then but I'm realizing now that I'm losing the higher tones. It's screaming as I write this! Thankfully I don't hear voices or other phantom sounds, but I sure as hell have music in my head 24/7. I WAKE UP and often have the same tune as last night/yesterday right back in my head. And then, of course, I'm drumming with my teeth as well--but that's another thread!

I believe I was the first to use it as a focal point. At least never read anyone else’s account. When I first started that practice I heard only one tone. The tinnitus tone which I now believe to be a tone of life/existence. Since then I have progressed to a point where I now hear up to 5 tones at a time. Not sure what/who/why the tones represent but I’ve also found a person can train their subconscious and /or build bridges TO the subconscious to apply different tones to represent different experiences.
As far as my tinnitus Seems we’re having similar experiences. My hearing loss started high frequencies. Couldn’t hear watch alarms for example. It’s progressed where I’m losing upper mid tones. I’ve worn hearing aids since 18 progressively losing hearing. I’m on like my 5th? Pair of aids

Johnny2u2

As far as hearing music in your head24/7 I sympathize ha! Same here it can be helpful or a oainintheazz. I can’t sleep w music playing in my head. Conversation no problem. Right to sleep