Ear Training.. something for all

Every video I see on you tube the drums sound amazing and the same. In real life the drums or any instrument sounds different when you move it to a different location or change something. Yes tuning is important and your ear is as well. Sometimes I wish people would not watch this stuff and listen to their own drums and figure it out. Tune out the internet for a while and just play whatever instrument you have. And just listen.

Every video I see on you tube the drums sound amazing and the same. In real life the drums or any instrument sounds different when you move it to a different location or change something. Yes tuning is important and your ear is as well. Sometimes I wish people would not watch this stuff and listen to their own drums and figure it out. Tune out the internet for a while and just play whatever instrument you have. And just listen.

I think you make a solid point here, Goose72. In promotional videos, drums and cymbals are often professionally recorded in a controlled environment. Listeners compare the clinical cleanliness of those tracks to the raw attributes of their own kits, conclude that their equipment is substandard or boring in some manner, and race to order a brand-new setup, only to repeat the cycle in due course. Drummers were far more content to nurture and groom their existing gear before the advent of the Internet. The ease with which you can explore and purchase drums, cymbals, and hardware online can have insidious ramifications. Realism and discipline are the best defenses.

Great video, as always. I'm glad to see this topic explained, and I liked his points about how pitch relationships and intervals will help you better understand what's happening and make good tunings easier to repeat.

These guys do a great job - I'm on of their "Dynasonic"s on Patreon just for quality content like this.

For awesome, awesome tuning videos - Kenny Sharretts is fantastic too plus he's a killer drummer and just an all around great guy.

The amount of knowledge available literally at our fingertips these days is amazing...and people like Kenny that have their entire lifetime of professional level work and experience available for us all to share for free is something we should all be insanely grateful for.

I thought my drums sounded great for a long time - but Kenny in particular helped me dial in drum sounds that I only thought were possible in a studio.

What a cool time to be a drummer!

The amount of knowledge available literally at our fingertips these days is amazing...and people like Kenny that have their entire lifetime of professional level work and experience available for us all to share for free is something we should all be insanely grateful for.

No question there. I should qualify my previous comment by adding that the Internet has made countless contributions to drumming and that many online resources are highly useful tools when put to proper use. The key is rummaging through the rubbish to get to the gold and keeping the quest in perspective along the way, realizing that much of what presents itself as data is also a marketing device that aims to persuade us, namely in the form of parting with our money.

No question there. I should qualify my previous comment by adding that the Internet has made countless contributions to drumming and that many online resources are highly useful tools when put to proper use. The key is rummaging through the rubbish to get to the gold and keeping the quest in perspective along the way, realizing that much of what presents itself as data is also a marketing device that aims to persuade us, namely in the form of parting with our money.

Oh man - that is 100% true. This is slightly off topic - but marketing disguised as education is INSANELY bad when it comes to health and fitness. Every health "guru" I ever watched on youtube...and I mean every single one - now has a line of products to buy.

I think it's less prevalent with drummers - but absolutely...it's all marketing to an extent.

You're right about the fitness market too. It's saturated with scandal. You can easily get from a balanced diet what companies are trying to sell you in the form of powder and engineered snacks. As for weight loss, the formula is simple: Burn more calories than you consume. No product can do that for you.

One thing I will say regarding you tube for lessons or information. It's great if you have enough common sense to figure out who is really giving you knowledge that will help you in what you are trying to achieve. It can be so overwhelming you want to give up. Everyone is different and our goals are also different. I just keep it simple and run it by my Dog first. He's got good ears, if he likes it hey I'll check it out.

You're right about the fitness market too. It's saturated with scandal. You can easily get from a balanced diet what companies are trying to sell you in the form of powder and engineered snacks. As for weight loss, the formula is simple: Burn more calories than you consume. No product can do that for you.
An appetite suppressant might. Anyone finds one pm me asap please.
I won't reply till I finish these potato chips tho.

Back