Ear Candy

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
So recently, I have been having some issues with tinnitus and just generally sensitive ears. It is a bit baffling because I never really fancied myself a heavy hitter or loud player, however I was thinking I just moved into a house from an apartment so maybe my playing habits have changed, or maybe my ensemble practice had a particularly loud clash cymbal. Maybe, I just started drinking more coffee and I was all amped up, or msg, both of which I have been able to lesson tinnitus by avoiding or easing up. I was curious about nutrition and ears so I looked up vitamins, and it turns out B12 can lessen tinnitus, I made some brewers yeast popcorn, and sure enough. It was probably my eating habits, I was cutting back on meat intake a prime source of B12 and had lost about 15 to 20 pounds since summer.

Makes me wonder though do "Starving Artists" have heightened or acute senses, kind of like dogs have better noses when they haven't had a meal? Also how much tinnitus could be attributed to B12 deficiency from drinking beer? Did Bob Seger have a vitamin deficiency when he wrote "Turn the Page"?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8484483

I can't speak to any sort of supplements to help with your hearing, but I believe prevention is better than a cure. To that end I never hit an unmuted drum or cymbal without ear protection, and I don't know how my bandmates can stand to be in the same room as me when I'm playing! My girlfriend was complaining about tinnitus recently though (not drum-related), so I'll be sure to suggest B12 to her.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I wish it was that easy. Mine is too severe to treat with B-12. But if it works for some, what an easy fix, right?

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
I wish it was that easy. Mine is too severe to treat with B-12. But if it works for some, what an easy fix, right?
Yeah, though the article I linked to weren't exactly easy subjects. Artillery isn't a quiet thing. Though in my case I also tried an iPad app that does a hearing test, and I scored in the normal range, in a somewhat noisy room(heater kicking on cars driving by outside spouse making phone calls etc.), with poor ear buds, so I *suspect* I didn't have hearing loss to begin with, just tinnitus. From the abstract I would believe that abnormal hearing could also be associated the B12 vitamin deficiency. I would have to research it a little more.