EAD10...Pretty Killer, But...

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Well, it's not surprising you don't like it as much as a 7 mic set up. It's not really supposed to replace a 7 mic set up.

Though I still want EAD10 because I hate setting up 7 mics, all the cables, and trying to get each mic just right every frickn time a recording thought comes into my head. Whatever the EAD10 lacks in features seems to be made up in convenience (?).

Though I've never actually played with one, so I may be over-romanticizing it's benefits.

Although I admit the inability to mix the kick separate from everything else does bug me.
Give it a try. I couldn’t get the possibilities out of my head till I tried it. If you can position it where it was designed with a traditional 5pc or if not playing silent, your mileage will definitely vary. Every video I’ve watched with it were impressive. The silent ones...not so much. But, nothing matched my setup. It actually worked out way better than the YouTube videos in some respects, but way worse in others.

For me, it just came down to a decision of completely blowing my ergonomics, I.e. moving my ride up and out more, which would mean my second crash and China would also have to move, raising my rack tom and giving it a pretty steep tilt and lowering an already low snare. I played around with moving things enough to know it would work, but hated the ergonomics for me. Moving the module to more of a 10/11 o’clock position was a pretty effective, but still not enough to pick up the rack tom. I didn’t see anyway to reduce the BD volume, except for replacing the tone for one of the electronic samples. That would have been fine, but was only getting the single hits. I had to really jump on the pedal to get any doubles through and that was with me adjusting the trigger sensitivity in both directions to test.

The one button recording was plain awesome, but not sure about the metronome. It seemed to be off on so many songs. Sometimes, it’d be on the “and,” so I’d shift it back. Other times, it just didn’t match at all. Some work needs be done there, or at least have the option to select your pattern. Most older recordings weren’t to a click, so things don’t line up.

This is one thing my Ableton software can do, which is to adjust the song to stay on click without altering it. It’s very subtle, but one of the places I’ve run into trouble with in recording stuff. Track and drums have to go in at the same time, or they won’t line up. With the EAD10, I mostly used the click to count me in and not throughout. Works great in modern music though, since everything is on a grid!

AzHeat

Platinum Member
You can control the level (as well as sample) of the bass drum trigger independant of the microphones.
You posted this as I was writing the above. It was the missing doubles I couldn’t work through when replacing with samples. There are other reports of this, but feel it’s mostly tied to silent drumming. The Super Pad bat wing thing is a layer of Masonite and a layer of foam, so while I can hear the kick acoustically, things are different with a trigger.

It’s just the challenges of silent drumming. I fed my obsession, got kicked in the nuts, now accepting defeat and given up on it being nearly as fun as wide open. It’s super tough to complain too much though. It hasn’t been that long that we’ve had things like L80s and Super Pads. It was mutes before that, so in the scheme of things...I’m still practicing, albeit with the permanent s**t eating grin removed. :(

Accurweld

I have question for you guys. I have a Ead10 and I'd like to connect "in" a smart tv, then headphones out to watch/listen to videos while playing. I'd assume with correct cord it's possible. Any thoughts?
Thank you for your thoughts

AzHeat

Platinum Member
You only have the USB connection option, which would redirect TV audio through the EAD10. The biggest issue I see, is I doubt most TVs would “know” what to do with the signal and reroute to USB. Most USB ports on TVs are for external drives, or updates. Don’t see any reason not to try it. If you have a TV running on Android, you just may get lucky..

Accurweld

You only have the USB connection option, which would redirect TV audio through the EAD10. The biggest issue I see, is I doubt most TVs would “know” what to do with the signal and reroute to USB. Most USB ports on TVs are for external drives, or updates. Don’t see any reason not to try it. If you have a TV running on Android, you just may get lucky..
Thank you for chiming in. I really appreciate it. I went to check out some smart TVs, noticed some still have rca audio options. So I went with it.. bought some rca's with a 3.5 headphone jack on the other end with an extender. Tried it and seems to work great! I did notice when I link my phone to the tv, the bass sounds horrible but just using the smart tv is great. So I'll just get a tv keyboard. So as far as I can tell, I'm good to go. Who knew? not me. Lol. Its pretty cool now though. I can use my L80 cymbals, rtoms, tv, ead10 and headphones at 11pm with full range volume adjustment and none knows. I have Yamaha dtxtreme ii also, but no need for it now. Wish I had this setup 25 yrs ago.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Thank you for chiming in. I really appreciate it. I went to check out some smart TVs, noticed some still have rca audio options. So I went with it.. bought some rca's with a 3.5 headphone jack on the other end with an extender. Tried it and seems to work great! I did notice when I link my phone to the tv, the bass sounds horrible but just using the smart tv is great. So I'll just get a tv keyboard. So as far as I can tell, I'm good to go. Who knew? not me. Lol. Its pretty cool now though. I can use my L80 cymbals, rtoms, tv, ead10 and headphones at 11pm with full range volume adjustment and none knows. I have Yamaha dtxtreme ii also, but no need for it now. Wish I had this setup 25 yrs ago.
TVs are usually set to compress audio in order to balance out commercials, soft speech, etc, across crappy speakers. That would potentially ruin the audio from your phone. Try switching the TV audio output format to PCM, or other non-compressed format and try again.

Accurweld

TVs are usually set to compress audio in order to balance out commercials, soft speech, etc, across crappy speakers. That would potentially ruin the audio from your phone. Try switching the TV audio output format to PCM, or other non-compressed format and try again.
I think I understand what your saying. It only seemed to be poor "low tones" quality when I was "bluethoothing" my phone to the tv to control the tv. I dont think I mentioned bluetooth. I was guessing the bluethooting was the problem. But I'll try switching it anyway just incase I want to use my phone.
I did that on mypanasonic 50" non smart living room tv and Pyle stereo sound bar. Then bought a digital audio converter. That worked good. The drum room scenario seems to be working good though. Hopefully I'll have everything set up this weekend for a real test.

NouveauCliche

Like most people here - I'm not comparing it a 7 mic set up - or being able to do separate tracks etc.

How I perceived it when I saw it - and how it's proven to be very, very use - is basically an upgraded phone mic.

It's certainly NOT for professional recording - mostly as a practice tool that can set up in like 30 seconds and a decent option for people that aren't into in depth home recording.

The interface on the app is awesome too - adding clicks, play along tracks and being to able to all record with the absoluteeeeeeee minimum of recording knowledge or experience is amazing.

For what it is - it's great.

MY actual problem with it is that with an 18" kick - the snare sound is more thin than on 22"set up simply because of where it physically sits in relationship to the drum....but it's not terrible for what I do with it.

I think once you start taking it past what it's designed for - you run into problems.

Cool little device.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Like so many things I post here, I'm generally misunderstood. I posted, because the new low volume firmware was out and was to address low volume situations. While it did way better after loading the firmware, it still didn't balance out as well as I had hoped. Cymbals are way too harsh and bright, snare had no body and very buzzy and 12" tom non existent. As mentioned above, if you have a traditional 5pc, I think it would have been fine and way more balanced. Still say it's a far better tool playing at volume, than silent anything. There are too many challenges with quiet drumming as it is, so expecting a miracle was unfounded. If Yamaha or anyone comes out with a model with detached mics, I think that, while definitely more expensive, could solve some of the stated challenges. It just may be too cost prohibitive at that point. Still one of the coolest drum inventions I've seen in a long while, if not ever.

olivierlgp

I have Yamaha DT50S triggers on snare drum and on the 3 toms.
I would like to use the tom bass DT50S on the kick dual input with a standard "Y" cable.
The trigger is in "separate" mode, but I have no signal and no sound on the EAD10.
(I have tested successfully this trigger and cable on other inputs).
Any idea ? :)

drumnut87

i looked into the EAD10 system but was told by the yamaha UK rep that it wouldnt work well if at all with my setup as my toms are off-set, one of which hangs over the bass drum most of the way, so it would pick up that tom 97% of the time and nothing much else apart from bass drum, so decided it wasnt worth the investment.

notvinnie

If Yamaha or anyone comes out with a model with detached mics, I think that, while definitely more expensive, could solve some of the stated challenges.
That would be really great. They could just add two XLR (or even 1/4") inputs, which if connected, would bypass the built-in mics and otherwise be processed in the same way. Then it would be up to you if you wanted to get really expensive mics or more inexpensive models which you could then position exactly where you wanted them.

katherx

Like so many things I post here, I'm generally misunderstood. I posted, because the new low volume firmware was out and was to address low volume situations. While it did way better after loading the firmware, it still didn't balance out as well as I had hoped. Cymbals are way too harsh and bright, snare had no body and very buzzy and 12" tom non existent. As mentioned above, if you have a traditional 5pc, I think it would have been fine and way more balanced. Still say it's a far better tool playing at volume, than silent anything. There are too many challenges with quiet drumming as it is, so expecting a miracle was unfounded. If Yamaha or anyone comes out with a model with detached mics, I think that, while definitely more expensive, could solve some of the stated challenges. It just may be too cost prohibitive at that point. Still one of the coolest drum inventions I've seen in a long while, if not ever.
Are you using triggers on all drums as suggested for low volume drums? https://manual.yamaha.com/mi/bo/ead10/en/05_sad_en.html

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Are you using triggers on all drums as suggested for low volume drums? https://manual.yamaha.com/mi/bo/ead10/en/05_sad_en.html
Nope. Wasn't all that thrilled with the tone of the cymbals through the EAD and each trigger is ~$90 with mixed reviews, so I passed. I still think for acoustic enhancements and even live micing, the EAD is tough to beat. For quiet practice, adding triggers, etc...there may be better options.

Last edited: