E-kit transition

Bradastronaut

Quick question here..
so im currently practicing on an alesis dm6, but i have previously had one that kept having problems such as an air bubble building up in the snare while playing which meant it felt like i was playing on a pillow, and the hi hat rattling rediculously loud. So i sent that back and got it replaced for another one, which after a week of playing, had an air bubble building up in the snare, a rediculously rattling hi hat, and half the buttons dont work on the machine, plus there is a tear in the material on the crash cymbal (i dont get why that happens to the hi hat since its used a lot more). All in all i WOULD NOT reccomend this drum kit to anyone...So im gonna send that back for the full 360 quid i wasted and try and get enough money to by a small kit for practice, i will ask about what to get in the hardware section of the forum.

Anyways i was wonding if i would notice the difference in my playing between this e-kit that feels like playing on a pillow, to a propper kit with rebound, im expecting to be able to play faster and smoother plus with a lot more control, but am not wanting to get my hopes up.

Quick question here..
so im currently practicing on an alesis dm6, but i have previously had one that kept having problems such as an air bubble building up in the snare while playing which meant it felt like i was playing on a pillow, and the hi hat rattling rediculously loud. So i sent that back and got it replaced for another one, which after a week of playing, had an air bubble building up in the snare, a rediculously rattling hi hat, and half the buttons dont work on the machine, plus there is a tear in the material on the crash cymbal (i dont get why that happens to the hi hat since its used a lot more). All in all i WOULD NOT reccomend this drum kit to anyone...So im gonna send that back for the full 360 quid i wasted and try and get enough money to by a small kit for practice, i will ask about what to get in the hardware section of the forum.

Anyways i was wonding if i would notice the difference in my playing between this e-kit that feels like playing on a pillow, to a propper kit with rebound, im expecting to be able to play faster and smoother plus with a lot more control, but am not wanting to get my hopes up.

I don't know about playing faster, but playing in a way that remotely resembles what it feels like to play an acoustic kit is practically impossible on Alesis e-kits. It's a whole different dynamic: one that actually includes dynamics. Honestly, those specific kits are really just very expensive toys that pretend to simulate a set of drums. In that respect, transitioning away from there will offer you the opportunity to improve, but you won't auto-magically improve just by playing something else.

Thanks for the honest answer Brundlefly
I do practice on a practice pad most of the time though, atleast the alesis has given me a general feel of having toms and a hi hat (slightly), atleast when i used to play on a real kit a few months ago at school i used to notice an improvement in my playing gradualy, so i think it is helping my playing in some respect. Any small kits that you can recommend in my price range? probably around 500 plus hi hat, ride and cymbals?

Thanks for the honest answer Brundlefly
I do practice on a practice pad most of the time though, atleast the alesis has given me a general feel of having toms and a hi hat (slightly), atleast when i used to play on a real kit a few months ago at school i used to notice an improvement in my playing gradualy, so i think it is helping my playing in some respect. Any small kits that you can recommend in my price range? probably around 500 plus hi hat, ride and cymbals?
I've got a Roland TD . . . 4S maybe? I don't recall the exact model number, but it was the mid-line Roland from a few years ago. I've had absolutely no problems with it. You could maybe get one used for around the price you're looking for, or just save up a bit more for it. I use it for recording and gigs a lot, too.

Re the Alesis, by the way, I'm a bit surprised and disappointed hearing that. I've got a few Alesis keyboards--the first one from about 13 years ago, now, and I love them. I've not had any problems with them, either.

Re the Alesis, by the way, I'm a bit surprised and disappointed hearing that. I've got a few Alesis keyboards--the first one from about 13 years ago, now, and I love them. I've not had any problems with them, either.

I've had some Alesis gear as well. None of it has ever been amazing, but generally it was always worth the price paid. That said Alesis drum kits ≠ Alesis anything else.

i think your control will be a bit better, but having not practiced on acoustic kits for some time and on ekits is something that i think will be noticably. the ekit you described will help for rebound but at the cost of a solid stroke necessary to get the full tone out of an acoustic drum

Back