E-Drum owners

Grampz

What addons/upgrades have you done/added to your kit? Anything a new Drummer would not really run into easily in the run-of-the-mill Mom & Pop music store. Specialty Gadgets? Or even gadgets that work for both acoustic and E-drums. Hardware, pedals, beaters? Ease of use, transport, setup, etc, etc.

Can you be a little more specific? Add to which kit for what reason? If it's a small kit, most people add more pads. If it's a cheap old kit, they may add a new module. The most common add-on is to use a VST through midi to achieve much better sound and record stuff. Ipad-phone holders.. I 3D printed a headphone hook to the top of a pole, those would be useful. I think hardware is mostly the same (except avoiding felt beaters). Some things are more difficult because of smaller size, e.g. I couldn't find a proper music stand attachment, because there's no space between pads to display two pages.

Bit of an open question.

OK - "gadgets that work for both acoustic and E-drums... beaters? "

Triggera Bix. That covers that question. Next?

I have a Roland TD17 KVX With a cheap PDP SP-400 Single Kick and an inexpensive entry-level Ludwig High Hat stand.
Just trying to ask stupid noob questions to get ideas as to what can be done, and learn.

I had asked about gadgets because I saw a Vid with quick-release cymbal screws. The Tama ones looked about the best bang for the buck there was a shit load of different brands of them..

I am Assuming VST is Software? I know nothing about MIDI.
What makes the Triggera Bix better than the stock beater on my PDP Kick pedal? In thinking about it now it doesn't seem like it would matter what Beater I have But I saw some that looked really cool.
DW Control Bass Beater.
1609721958406.png
What's up with the 2 and 3 ply mesh heads Roland makes. I couldn't find any info on the stock heads I have. What's the difference?

And when I am ready to get an Amp or monitor for the E-Drum Set do I get the Roland Monitor
1609723260375.png
or just get a simple All in one PA type deal? Was looking at a Used Fender Passport for around 250. Because Eventually, I want to be able to play with other people.
1609722941370.png
What do you plug into when you want to make some noise?
Was that a bit more Concise? LOL My apologies for the Wall of NEWB Spam

Attachments

• 1609719823137.png
    1609719823137.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 1609720167865.png
    1609720167865.png
    29.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
1. quick release cymbal nuts.... not much point unless you're gigging regularly - even then they have a habit of coming off and getting lost. Don't save much time either in the grand scheme of things - but nothing wrong with using them if you like,. I use Grombals on my acoustic cymbals, generally without nuts - could be used with cymbal pads I suppose..

2. VST - is a generic term for Virtual Studio Technology. In general terms it's a software implementation of a hardware device. So, this can mean a software synthesizer, effects unit, etc. It's often (mis)used by drummers when referring solely to a software drum emulator/instrument. VST and MIDI are two different things, but a VST can often be controlled by MIDI. In simple terms, MIDI is data/instructions that an instrument can send to another instrument, e.g. "play middle-C". Not gonna do a MIDI tutorial now ;)

3a. The Triggera Bix is a trigger built in to a beater. This means you can get perfect triggering of any kick drum, kick pad, practice pad, Samsonite suitcase or anything at all. Solves all the problems associated with triggering kick drums and is a 10 second install. Worth keeping one in your gig bag, even if you use a electronic kick pad.

3b. Whilst we're on beaters and stuff - and things to get from your local store - ALWAYS get a kick drum patch for your kick, e.g. Falam Slam. Few units of your favourite currency and helps protect the the kick from wear. Lot cheaper then replacing the head and means you don't have to worry about what beater you choose to use. (Roland users are always on about not using felt beaters. But you can as long as you use a patch. I like the feel of felt)

4. Here's my speaker response that I post all the time:
  • Home: headphones (or a PA if you *really* need speakers)
  • Rehearsal: a PA
  • Live: a PA
  • Minimum of 12" woofers, speakers on stands, tweeters at ear height. Test by playing Prodigy's Firestarter thru at full pelt.
  • (as for make and model - that depends on your budget)
So - neither the Roland wedge nor a Fender Passport.

Last edited:
Can you give some examples of recommended PA type speakers for us noobs?

Can you give some examples of recommended PA type speakers for us noobs?

Posted examples before on here, and it depends on your budget. A simple starting is a mixer/amp and some 12-15" speakers. Here in the UK these can be had for £50-£150 2nd user with not much difficulty (indeed, saw someone giving some away on Facebook Marketplace yesterday for nothing, and quick look this morning seen a mixer/amp with 2 x 15" Peavey speakers for £60). I prefer not using powered speakers, as when the amp eventually dies you lose the speaker.

So - this sort of thing (£75, including stands)

1609752794374.png

Thanks. Yes, I use headphones but wanted a speaker for when pals want to see and hear how things are going...

Thanks. Yes, I use headphones but wanted a speaker for when pals want to see and hear how things are going...

Still don't need speakers :)

Multi-output headphone amp will do e.g. cheapo Behringer HA400

And if you wanna jam with some people then a mixer and the above, or some Yamaha SessionCakes (one per band member, up to 8)

So that means additional people can hear through their own headphones what I’m hearing through mine I guess?
Handy, but I also send them videos with the Covid situation, so still need a speaker that will be reasonable quality through an iPhone video.

So that means additional people can hear through their own headphones what I’m hearing through mine I guess?
Handy, but I also send them videos with the Covid situation, so still need a speaker that will be reasonable quality through an iPhone video.

Plug your module audio out into an iRig (or such) to get better audio. Playing thru a speaker into the iPhone mic will sound terrible - using most speakers - the mic is designed for voice not a thumping electronic drum kit

Or, if you have a supported DTX use Yamaha's free Rec'n'Share.

Although I’m using the Yamaha DTX 482 snare pad and cymbals, I’m playing it through the Nitro Mesh module. That Rec n Share seems unavailable in the UK?
So if I use iRig, that will clear up the audio, but not able to use the iPhone to video it at the same time?
Thanks.

Rec'n'share is free an app. Get it from your app store - or whatever you Apple people use. And yes, it's available in the UK on both Apple and Android. :)

Don't need an iRig with the DTX. Just the appropriate evil proprietary Apple connection kit to run from a DTX[1] USB output into the phone. Job done.

Great app - does all sorts of clever shizz, like analysing an audio track and putting a real-time click on it - allowing you to speed up and slow down as well. Takes the audio and stuffs on the video.

(etc)

[1] e.g. DTX402, DTX6, EAD10...

No way that looks great, but damn it, I’m familiar with the Nitro brain now....
Which of the 2 is consider better - the Nitro Mesh or Yamaha DTX482 module?
I don’t mind switching back to the Yamaha.

No way that looks great, but damn it, I’m familiar with the Nitro brain now....
Which of the 2 is consider better - the Nitro Mesh or Yamaha DTX482 module?
I don’t mind switching back to the Yamaha.

Up to you, really. The DTX does support 3-zone pads and Rec'n'share and the 402 Touch app[1] and have lovely Yamaha acoustic drums in it etc. (by-the-way it's a 402 module.... 482 is the 402 module + a load of pads supplied as a kit)

[1]

Electrodrummer and Doraemon... Appreciate you sirs!

1. quick release cymbal nuts....

Was using that as an example of gadgets.

2. VST - is a generic term for Virtual Studio Technology. In general terms it's a software implementation of a hardware device. So, this can mean a software synthesizer, effects unit, etc. It's often (mis)used by drummers when referring solely to a software drum emulator/instrument. VST and MIDI are two different things, but a VST can often be controlled by MIDI. In simple terms, MIDI is data/instructions that an instrument can send to another instrument, e.g. "play middle-C". Not gonna do a MIDI tutorial now ;)

Thank you. Going to check out Cakewalk and see if i can learn a bit more Via Youtube on Midi.

3a. The Triggera Bix is a trigger built in to a beater. This means you can get perfect triggering of any kick drum, kick pad, practice pad, Samsonite suitcase or anything at all. Solves all the problems associated with triggering kick drums and is a 10 second install. Worth keeping one in your gig bag, even if you use a electronic kick pad.

Thank you Again for the excellent info. Good to know and will be filing this one away for later use ?!

3b. Whilst we're on beaters and stuff - and things to get from your local store - ALWAYS get a kick drum patch for your kick, e.g. Falam Slam. Few units of your favourite currency and helps protect the the kick from wear. Lot cheaper then replacing the head and means you don't have to worry about what beater you choose to use. (Roland users are always on about not using felt beaters. But you can as long as you use a patch. I like the feel of felt)

So even on the Roland KD10?

4. Here's my speaker response that I post all the time:
  • Home: headphones (or a PA if you *really* need speakers)
  • Rehearsal: a PA
  • Live: a PA
  • Minimum of 12" woofers, speakers on stands, tweeters at ear height. Test by playing Prodigy's Firestarter thru at full pelt.
  • (as for make and model - that depends on your budget)
So - neither the Roland wedge nor a Fender Passport.
NOTED! No Wedge or Passport... I will look for a Small powered Board with cabs that Have12" speakers.

And I must Say KUDOS on the selection of Firestarter.....
Nice way to test the speakers response and just a banger of a song!.
Reminds me of a funny story.
My wife grew up super religious. She was singing a Prodigy song along with me in the can and she was INSTANTLY HORRIFIED when she realized the lyrics were "Smack my bitch up" and Not "Snap My Picture"

And .. Damn... I just got this Kit and you tell me Yamaha DTX supports 3 Zone pads? My wife will kill me she just spent 2K on this kit for me on me Birfday..LOL

Electrodrummer and Doraemon... Appreciate you sirs!

So even on the Roland KD10?

ANYTHING! Acoustic, electric, rubber, mesh, anything :)

My wife grew up super religious. She was singing a Prodigy song along with me in the can and she was INSTANTLY HORRIFIED when she realized the lyrics were "Smack my bitch up" and Not "Snap My Picture"

Brilliant - I trust she's never seen the video for the song?

And .. Damn... I just got this Kit and you tell me Yamaha DTX supports 3 Zone pads? My wife will kill me she just spent 2K on this kit for me on me Birfday..LOL

Yamaha's DTX been doing 3-zone pads for the last 20 years... :)

Roger, will stop and get one ASAP
No she has never see the video.
Very Cool. Im pretty content with mine but also intrigued by multiple zones :)

On setting up my DTx482, I have 4 cymbals but only 3 sockets for cymbals on the module.
Am I being dumb, the web picture shows Hi hat plus 3 cymbals...

Back