MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
So we have :

Brass
Bronze
Bell brass
Bell bronze

- clear as a bell!
The last two are really just terms. Yes they make bells out of bronze and brass, but it's still just a formulation of bronze or brass. It's like saying drum wood, car metal, sidewalk concrete.

If I take bell bronze and make a cymbal out of it, does it magically become cymbal bronze?

SYMBOLIC DEATH

I think they use the bell brass & bell bronze names to indicate that it has a significantly thicker shell (3mm+)? I've never seen a thin shelled bell brass or bell bronze shell. Has any one seen one?

SYMBOLIC DEATH

Well they did go the other route some years back. Cymbal bronze snares.
That's why is suggested Paiste do it. I think Zildjian and Sabian could also be candidates for this project too.

I'm going to start a company making drumsticks out of Truth drums, because they would be the first "true" drum sticks.😃

IBitePrettyHard

Has anyone tried melting down all the B8 cymbals to make a snare? That would kill 2 birds with one stone. Get rid of the scourge of bad cymbals and make a (hopefully) good sounding snare.

RickP

Gold Member
Sand casting drum shells can produce some excellent drums - perfect example being the Noble and Cooley Alloy Classic snares made from a cast aluminum alloy . These have lots of bottom end when tuned lower and ample crack when tuned up .

Bell Brass ( actually bronze) , Cast Copper etc. snares seem to be popping up more and more from various manufacturers . Most of these just are not my cup of tea to be honest - and this also includes the N&C cooper snare - just not for me .
The DW snare is another that regardless of the price I would not consider purchasing .

D

Deleted member 525878

Just buy the Collectors Series Bell Brass 6.5x14 and you're good to go!
4K? Sorry Mr. Good but at that price I'd look for a Vibraphone.

D

Deleted member 525878

Just buy the Collectors Series Bell Brass 6.5x14 and you're good to go!
4K? Sorry Mr. Good but at that price I'd look for a Vibraphone.

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
The last two are really just terms. Yes they make bells out of bronze and brass, but it's still just a formulation of bronze or brass. It's like saying drum wood, car metal, sidewalk concrete.

If I take bell bronze and make a cymbal out of it, does it magically become cymbal bronze?
This.
Bell brass is just brass and is totally different than a bell bronze snare.

If you want a true bronze DW and not pay the 4k.

Get one of the first gen bronze snares they made.

0B494277-4EB1-42EE-95C4-835730296DBA.jpeg

A5B32DF5-3E0B-457E-AF98-0CC66F26B939.jpeg
They came in 5”, 6” and7” depths and in 12” - 14” diameter.

The second and third iterations are spun? with a seam and not cast.

Last edited:

RickP

Gold Member
Revisiting this thread - I take most of the Drum Retailer videos with a grain of salt as many of them are very processed , enhanced etc . Until I can get to actually play a drum on person ai cannot honestly give an honest opinion on a drum ( especially a snare drum ) . There are so many factors that need to be taken into account when considering a snare that these videos do not cover - things like - how does the strainer work ? Is it smooth ? Does it hold it’s tension well ? How smooth are the tension rods ? What does the crossstick sound like ? What kind of heads come on the snare from the factory ? If they are not your choice then you need to factor in the added expensive of new heads .
Price is one of the last things I look at when considering a snare drum . This is not to say I can afford $4000 snare drums ( I cannot) but once I really like a drum and see the value of it on that it fills a niche for me , then I look at the price .

Scottie15

I agree that the Gretsch Bell Brass snare sounds great.

I'm guessing that Dave Elitch had a concept for a concave shell design (5mm outer edges curved into a 3mm center), and he worked with John Good to make it happen. On paper, a concave shell sounds like a great idea to try. I don't know of any other drums that have a curved design like that. I'm sure some exist, but they aren't common. Maybe there's a new snare sound that hasn't been discovered yet. Lets see what it sounds like!

...and now we know what it sounds like. :p

But instead of maybe slimming down the shell to get some more lows and resonance, they stuck with the thick design anyway. Not something I would've been happy with, but who am I.

Oriollo looks to also provide concave shells for some of their Bellmakers:

mpthomson

Bronze and brass are both alloys of copper. Bronze is copper and tin, brass is copper and zinc. One cannot be an alloy of the other.

No you didn't, unless taking in of mis-information is learning.
Yes he did. Tama Bell Brass drums are not brass, they're bronze. There is no such thing as bell brass, it was a marketing thing. Grestch Bell Brass drums are also cast bronze. I've had a Tama and Grestch Bell Brass in the past. They are cast bronze drums, in the same way that my Oriollo 7,25 cast bronze drum is bronze. They're all made from basically the same alloy. The Tama and Gretsch aren't brass, it's just a name.

mpthomson

I own a Brooklyn Bell Brass and assumed it was actually Bell Bronze. So I sent the question to Gretsch thru Facebook, the answer I got was it is in fact a Cast Brass shell. I wanted it to be Bronze but it sounded awesome and I figured I'm not missing out on too much. They both have very similar characteristics.
They're 100% not brass. Gretsch do a cast brass drum, and the metals look very different. If you have a Grestch that claims to be bell brass, it's bronze.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Yes he did. Tama Bell Brass drums are not brass, they're bronze. There is no such thing as bell brass, it was a marketing thing. Grestch Bell Brass drums are also cast bronze. I've had a Tama and Grestch Bell Brass in the past. They are cast bronze drums, in the same way that my Oriollo 7,25 cast bronze drum is bronze. They're all made from basically the same alloy. The Tama and Gretsch aren't brass, it's just a name.
You obviously did not make it to my other post:

Again, brass and bronze are both alloys of COPPER. Neither one exists without COPPER. Bronze is an alloy. Brass is an alloy. Copper is an element. No copper, no bronze or brass.

mpthomson

This.
Bell brass is just brass and is totally different than a bell bronze snare.

If you want a true bronze DW and not pay the 4k.

Get one of the first gen bronze snares they made.

View attachment 94155

View attachment 94157
They came in 5”, 6” and7” depths and in 12” - 14” diameter.

The second and third iterations are spun? with a seam and not cast.

No, bell brass is bronze. It was a marketing term that Tama invented, large bells are nearly always cast bronze, there are vanishingly few cast brass bells.