DW's $4000 True Cast Bell Bronze snare!

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Singel head with low, medium and high tunings. Is that so hard?

It might well have more to offer than shown here. I'll probably stick with my Gretsch stuff all the same, though.

In any case. There's no way I'll ever spend 4k on a snare drum. I will someday buy an AK BB for probably around 2k, that's the limit and probably the only time I'll spend that much on a snare.

Soulfinger

Oh dear.
I don´t even like the looks of that drum, let alone the sound. Major fail IMHO.
I recently bought a Tama Power Metal Bronze snare that has tone for days. Beautiful drum that set me back 200 bucks.
That´s... wait a minute... 5% of the price of the DW. Come on!!!

IBitePrettyHard

I agree that the Gretsch Bell Brass snare sounds great.

I'm guessing that Dave Elitch had a concept for a concave shell design (5mm outer edges curved into a 3mm center), and he worked with John Good to make it happen. On paper, a concave shell sounds like a great idea to try. I don't know of any other drums that have a curved design like that. I'm sure some exist, but they aren't common. Maybe there's a new snare sound that hasn't been discovered yet. Lets see what it sounds like!

...and now we know what it sounds like. :p

But instead of maybe slimming down the shell to get some more lows and resonance, they stuck with the thick design anyway. Not something I would've been happy with, but who am I.

aparker2005

My 6mm Drumcraft bell brass sounds a million times better than this thing. Hopefully it's just this one video. But this snare is nowhere near 4k imo

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting how the presenter flips from "bell brass" (doesn't actually exist in the real world) & 'bell bronze" - which is it? Also, the grossly over positive review is so typical of many shop based review videos - they're trying to sell the product, and that seriously skews the content. The opening statements "it sounds great" & "will cover anything from top to bottom" are clearly disconnected from reality, & I think most drummers can see / hear straight through that.

Steady Freddy

Pioneer Member
When they played the super 2 head the drum started to open up a little. I am 100% sure this is a tuning issue. I spend hours a week messing with snare drums. I know what a choked drum sounds like. That said, is this drum worth 4 grand? LOL Not to me and I am a DW player.

I also like how he suggested dampening the drum. Like his screwed up tuning scheme wasn't enough to totally kill it. Nicks a great drummer but he's also a salesman.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Strangely, though I have some preferrences, I've liked prety much any Gretsch snare I've heard or tried.

Conversely, there aren't many DW drums I've liked at all.

I'm just waiting for John Good to make a drum out of marble, granite, cowdung, led or cactus.

Personally, I'm waiting for one made of a bunch of old iPhones glued together.

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
Speaking of DW cast bronze snares, this came in today.

90's seamless cast, 11kg (24,25lb) beasty, I call ''Golden Boy''.

It turned out to be 5mm instead of 3mm and it had cost me 10x less than the new one.

Now I'm so hooked on its sounds and possibilities, that I would love to get a 12x5 side snare model.

It is so versatile in both extreme low and extreme high tensions, yet keeps its sensitivity played both really soft as really loud.

It replaced all my other snares in a short first bonding session, only to be confirmed when I came back from a meeting downtown.

Last edited:

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
This is the 13x7 size (never saw one before) and indeed with the black/brass badge from 1994-1997. Here is the catalog scan made by DW FB group member Falko.

catalog left.jpgcatalog right.jpg

TJK

$4000.00 for a DW snare drum that sucks is like paying $400.00 for an Armani black t-shirt.

Same kind of customer. Not buying for real quality but perceived prestige.
Well deducted from the original poster they only paid 400 for it. And only an idiot would pay 400 for a t shirt, I’ll take the Hanes $5 Walmart special 🤣😂

TJK

Speaking of DW cast bronze snares, this came in today.

90's seamless cast, 11kg (24,25lb) beasty, I call ''Golden Boy''.

It turned out to be 5mm instead of 3mm and it had cost me 10x less than the new one.

Now I'm so hooked on its sounds and possibilities, that I would love to get a 12x5 side snare model.

It is so versatile in both extreme low and extreme high tensions, yet keeps its sensitivity played both really soft as really loud.

It replaced all my other snares in a short first bonding session, only to be confirmed when I came back from a meeting downtown.
Wow you got a steal. I would take that deal alllll day long