Dweezil's C&D tour and drummer Ryan Brown review

Spreggy

Silver Member
Here's a little review for ya. We saw them last night in Rochester, and I'm here to tell you that was one great concert. Being a small band for the music (only seven pieces, lol), I was skeptical of how good it would be, but they got it all, played great and had "the eyebrows". Great show, highly recommend.

So, as a drummer and an FZ fan, I had the appropriate "well we'll just have to see about this new drummer" attitude going. Who's this guy I'd never heard of in the hallowed Z drum chair? Well, frankly, he crushed it. He kept the band together real well, had all the music tight, cool ideas, and has an aggressive attack more like Terry, as opposed to the disciplined approach of a Chad or Chester. He played the tar out of that drum set. I'm not big on Sabians particularly, but their brash attack fits the music.

What really tipped it for me was the shorthand and big trust between he and Dweezil during guitar solos. Very high level stuff, off into la-la land and over the bar a lot, they played really well together.

So, Z fans, the music is still in good hands. Catch that tour if you can.

yeah Ryan impressed the hell out of me when i saw them last year in ATL. in addition to just crushing this gig...everything seemed very "digested". been-there-done-that. No new guy / learning curve stuff and NO charts on stage that i saw. All memorized. That is bad ass.

Here's a little review for ya. We saw them last night in Rochester, and I'm here to tell you that was one great concert. Being a small band for the music (only seven pieces, lol), I was skeptical of how good it would be, but they got it all, played great and had "the eyebrows". Great show, highly recommend.

So, as a drummer and an FZ fan, I had the appropriate "well we'll just have to see about this new drummer" attitude going. Who's this guy I'd never heard of in the hallowed Z drum chair? Well, frankly, he crushed it. He kept the band together real well, had all the music tight, cool ideas, and has an aggressive attack more like Terry, as opposed to the disciplined approach of a Chad or Chester. He played the tar out of that drum set. I'm not big on Sabians particularly, but their brash attack fits the music.

What really tipped it for me was the shorthand and big trust between he and Dweezil during guitar solos. Very high level stuff, off into la-la land and over the bar a lot, they played really well together.

So, Z fans, the music is still in good hands. Catch that tour if you can.

Interesting timing! If you're a fan of Ryan Brown keep you ears and eyes open for upcoming episodes of the "Drummer's Weekly Groovecast"....hint, hint, hint, tease, tease, tease.... :)

I do not remember who was on the drumkit the last time I saw ZPZ live but it wasn't Joe Travers and he was sorely missed. Not at all as solid or grooving.

Back