DW9002 Hi Hat rod keeps unscrewing itself.

topgun2021

Gold Member
I have a DW9002 Hi Hat stand. Love the thing except for the interchangeable rods unscrew over time and fall out.

Is there a way to secure the screw better, without making the rod stay permanently?

Should I just glue it on?

Mucho thanks.

Hmm. Usually, there should be a small rubber band on the rod where the threads are. It acts like a rubber washer keeping the rod from unscrewing. Perhaps you lost yours? I think on my DW5000 hi-hat I had one.

Hmm. Usually, there should be a small rubber band on the rod where the threads are. It acts like a rubber washer keeping the rod from unscrewing. Perhaps you lost yours? I think on my DW5000 hi-hat I had one.

I bought it used for about 1/3 of buying a new one. Maybe they guy took it off.

The short rod doesn't have a rubber band on the thread either.

I bought it used for about 1/3 of buying a new one. Maybe they guy took it off.

The short rod doesn't have a rubber band on the thread either.

I think if you went to the local drug store and search for tiny rubber bands, that might solve your dilemma. I'm sure if you ordered it from DW it'll be $25 or something silly.

Try some BLUE Loctite thread locker. This way you can still dismantle it if you have to. Don't use the red or it will be permanent unless you use heat to loosen it.

Try some BLUE Loctite thread locker. This way you can still dismantle it if you have to. Don't use the red or it will be permanent unless you use heat to loosen it.

+1.................blue Loctite would be the perfect fix..........................whatever you do, I wouldn't recommend gluing it

Every hi-hat I play does this. And every hi-hat has a clutch that loosens eventually.

So does this blue loctite leave any residue or damage stuff in any way? Would you use it on an expensive snare? Might be a cool alternative to tight screws?

Would you use it on an expensive snare? Might be a cool alternative to tight screws?

Don't think it would work too well....................as far as I know, it's meant to be applied and then immediately tightened down...............tuning would probably reduce it's effectiveness.

Back