DW9000 Remote Hi-hat owners please help!

deftdrummer

So I bought this Hi-Hat used off craigslist but I need to know what part I am missing. It appears to be the sleeve or something that went through the felt yet the felt is not big enough to pass a sleeve. Promo pictures clearly show a plastic sleeve and I can't find this piece anywhere. Please tell me what I'm missing!

Attachments

• hihat.JPG
    hihat.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 613
The one that I had looked the same. Bare threads around the bottom hat. Never really liked that. A plastic sleeve might've been a modification on newer models? Prolly need a DW gear expert to chime in.

Thanks for the reply, I can't find this part anywhere online or what I could use intermediately to make this work. I know that metal on metal is not how the lower hihat should be and it seems like all hi-hat seat assemblies generally stay with the original hi-hat so I'm wondering what the previous owner would have removed it for?

Well, like I was saying, mine was the same way as your photo, so there might not be a part to replace. The bottom hat sits flat on the felt, so it doesn't wear as much on the post.
Not that I like the design; as I alluded, I don't have that stand any more.

I bought my 9503 remote hat a few years ago and there was no plastic sleeve. There should be a second felt washer and a hi-hat clutch nut to clamp the bottom cymbal in place, as remote hats tend to be mounted at an angle and this setup prevents the bottom cymbal from unwanted tilting.

I use my stand without the extra felt and nut and it works just fine. I'm not sure if keyholing is your main concern here, but I have not had an issue with that yet, either.

Oh, I get it because the absence of the foot on the pedal would make for a not very firm "closed" sound. So in theory the bottom cymbal shouldn't move, so therefore no chafing / keyholing of the lower cymbal correct?

I think so. Since the bottom cymbal isn't moving much under those conditions, there is no swinging or rubbing of metal on metal. The older 5000 series version was the same way, but I've used both over the last 13 years with no noticeable damage to the cymbals.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I guess this is just a crappy design. No wonder the 9500 is the newer model. Fortunately I got this thing for $150. I always wanted a remote HH, just couldn't bring myself to pay $300+

Back